Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 mileage/maintenance.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nasher

L405 mileage/maintenance.

Morning all.

I’m still looking at my options to replace my D4, and one is definitely still an L405.
It doesn’t tick all my boxes practicality wise, but I may have a solution to the flat load bay floor.

I’ve been offered a really good deal on a 2014 4.4TDV8 Autobiography, that might be too good to pass on.

It’s a year older than my D4, and has actually done more miles, 123K as opposed to my D4s 79K.
I don’t want to own my D4 past 100K, as from experience of my D3s and 4s I know that’s the point at which I’ll end up spending more time fixing it in my workshop than driving it.

So It might appear strange to be considering the L405, but I genuinely don’t know if that same cut off point is at 90K or 200K with an L405.
I do also understand that the road tax bracket would be much higher than my D4.
And it's a private deal not a dealer.

However, there are really good reasons to consider this particular L405.
I’ve known the car since it was brand new, it’s owned by the MD of a small company that I use as a supplier for work.
I know it’s been well used, but also well cared for and not mistreated.
It was the owners dream when he brought it brand new, and he’s treated it as such.
It does have a full Main Dealer service history, and the gearbox was serviced and flushed @10K miles ago. As preventative maintenance not because of issues with the TC.

The owner is retiring and downsizing everything in his life including the car.
I’m being offered it for what the non-LR main dealer for his new car has offered him in part exchange, which as you can imagine is a significant saving on other similar vehicles offered for sale.

So I’d appreciate your thoughts on my dilemma.
Considering my reasons for wanting to move on from my D4, does the L405 start to experience the same sort of issues at 123K miles that I know for sure my D4 will exhibit at 100-110K miles?
It doesn’t appear to have yet had any trouble with stuff like:
Suspension bushes.
Compressor
Body Rot
Brake pipe corrosion
Etc

Thanks

Post #665004 25th May 2023 11:37am
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

From your examples:

Suspension bushes - possibly
Compressor - possibly
Body Rot - not likely and easily seen, but underneath will be another story - think ship wreck.
Brake pipe corrosion - likely
Etc

Same for any car really. Moving parts wear out. Static parts corrode. The longer they've existed and the more miles they've covered the more likely they are to need replacing. But plenty of older fatties with 250k + on them so if you're prepared to replace stuff as required then they will go on and are always a lovely place to be. The sweat spot for my ownership experience (partly necessitated by budget!) has been to buy at 5 years old 60k miles to avoid the stinging early depreciation and keep for 5 years to 120k which mostly avoids the stinging repair costs. I've not yet been past 130k. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #665030 25th May 2023 3:31pm
Nasher

Thanks MPx, it looks like we have very similar strategies when it comes to buying a car, which is why I keep surprising myself for even considering this L405.

I think perhaps I was hoping somebody would pipe up and say:
"Oh yes, LR learnt from their mistake with the suspension bushes being made of cheese on the D3/4 and the L405 ones are well known to last 200K miles".

Etc.

But I think I was just being hopeful really.
I know I shouldn't break all my own rules and buy this particular L405, and after some time to reflect I probably won't.

What I need is to try and get an extended test drive in one over a couple of days to see if I could adapt just to have the experience of running a 4.4TDV8 for a while.

Post #665139 26th May 2023 6:52pm
evotime

Scotland 

I think with the L405 you need to be ready for continual maintenance. In my short ownership, about 3 months, issues so far,

Air con stopped blowing cold
Pan roof started making wind noise
Driver door started making wind noise
lower tailgate stopped lowering
Rear air bag losing height so bag or block issue
Transfer case leaking oil (prob a long standing issue)

I fully expect more. car has 66k on it

Great car though. thoroughly enjoy driving it. MPG is fantastic for what it is, I get and easy 35, fast, comfy and handles. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. SDV8

Post #665178 27th May 2023 7:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1