Home > Technical (L405) > Deployable Side Steps Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Olders

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Deployable Side Steps Fault

Hi all,

So am wondering if anyone has had (and solved!) this particular problem with their side steps, or indeed has any suggestion as to what might be causing it or how to fix it:

The step folds down as normal when I unlock or open the door, then when I get in and close the door it folds away but then comes straight back down again and stays down.

A short distance after driving off (possibly once a low-ish speed threshold is reached?) it folds away into the fully closed position and stays that way until the doors are opened again.

If I try to lightly hold the step up when it has folded up it doesn't stays up and resists even moderate pressure and folds back out.

It is only on the passenger side. The driver's side works perfectly.

It is 100% not because the mechanism needs cleaning or lubricating as I have just replaced both the hinge bracket and the motor with brand new items.

Moreover, if the steps where being 'blocked' from being fully retracted, then surely they would not fold up fully and stay that way whilst the vehicle was moving?

As I say: any input much appreciated!

Many thanks! -----------------------------------------------
2016MY FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Loire Blue
2007MY FFRR 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE Tonga Green

Post #672274 29th Aug 2023 4:53pm
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I had a problem with one of mine when I replaced the motor I hadn't aligned the flat on the motor shaft correctly so the wedge did not sit properly against the shaft which allowed the shaft to rotate slightly in the bracket, the step would begin to go in then I can only assume when the wedge made contact with the rotating shaft it created a higher current draw and the control unit sent the step back out. If you watch the motor shaft when the step moves it should not rotate within the bracket if the wedge is in the correct position, the wedge should clamp the shaft of the motor to the bracket. If you find this is the cause do not try and overtighten the wedge as it will not rotate the shaft, the motor shaft must be aligned under its own power. Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #672295 29th Aug 2023 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1