Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Olders

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Noise (Moan/Groan) and Vibration under Acceleration

Hi,

2 issues, possibly interlinked:

1. The FF seems to be making a low pitched moan/groan when the engine is under load between 2000 and 3000 rpm. This is also accompanied by a mild vibration (high frequency as opposed to high pitch) coming up through the pedals, drivers footwell, bulkhead. This is not really noticeable below 1900/2000 rpm and above 3000 rpm. Whilst I appreciate that these are large capacity rumbling V8s, this noise doesn't sound normal. I think it my be more obvious now than when I acquired the car 5k miles ago, although this might be my imagination!

I am going to get the fluids changed (gearbox, transfer box, front diff) to see if that helps - probably worth it anyway on a 07MY TDV8 (ZF 'box I think?) at 57k miles, no?

Any other thoughts?

2. There also seems to be a bit of a "bump/thump" when changing from 1st to 2nd under medium to high throttle (and back again) and another that sometimes happens in the lower gears when you are accelerating under medium to high throttle and then lift off close to the gear change point.

Also, just occasionally, the gear changes seem a little random/non-linear, almost exclusively under medium or low throttle settings - i.e. it doesn't step down for a few secs with 60/70% throttle input when at low revs in a high gear or changes down then up again within a short space of time. Almost as if the 'box doesn't know what gear it should be in / getting a bit confused. Sometimes I also get this "confusion" after a period of spirited driving with large throttle openings followed by total lift off followed by large throttle opening when in "D" as opposed to "S".

Thoughts so far are:

1. All above are normal behaviour, not to worry.
2. Gearbox, transfer box or front diff on the way out
3. Trans fluids need changing
4. I have only done circa 5k miles in the car - maybe the 'box is still "learining" my driving style, which may be different from the previous owner's

Any help/guidance/thoughts/observations on the above much appreciated!! If point 4 above is a possibility vis-a-vis the "bumpy" gear changes, how would I go about resetting the gearbox's "memory"?

Thanks in advance! -----------------------------------------------
2016MY FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Loire Blue
2007MY FFRR 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE Tonga Green

Post #67230 6th Jun 2011 2:10pm
herman maire

Canada 

I think I have a similar problem but my truck is a 04 V8 petrol.

I notice it most right at 2500 then it fades off after 3000 then comes back at 4000 then its smooth after 4500.

Just a few months ago ( january) I was thinking to myself how smooth this truck was compared to my last MK3 RR then it just seemed to appear after I had some work done.

I just went to the dealership last week to have some other work done and inquired about the harshness..... they could not possible be any less of a help.

I still have this engine harshness that I feel in the pedal area..... I am thinking it could be a faulty engine mount.

I have to say, its driving me NUTS.... nuts to the point where if I cant solve the problem, I want to sell the truck

are you having any luck? 2003 RR 4.4 only 40k miles (current)
2004 RR 4.4 ( just sold)
2000 RR 4.6 (sold)

1959 series 2 109
1956 series 1 1956

Post #67963 10th Jun 2011 2:55am
Olders

Further analysis reveals that this deep groaning/vibration only happens when you have been driving for a few minutes and everything is up to temperature. It doesn't happen at all when everything is cold.

Any vague ideas or suggestions as to what might be the i
cause?

Many thanks. -----------------------------------------------

Post #70138 27th Jun 2011 5:21pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

front diff?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic66944.html

Post #70158 27th Jun 2011 5:58pm
kenny

2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Hi,

I have a similar noise thing going on (2004 td6, gearbox replaced 8 months ago)... As described in the topic on the disco 3 forum "like a plane...", friends are already calling it my tractor. Car went to the indy multiple times to no avail, they even say it is normal Shocked (I am already trying to figure out what it is for about the last 2 years...)

Recently I have found out (when the engine is on temp!) when I put it in manual and select 2nd gear and rev it over 4500 rpm the noise stops. I kept suspecting the viscous fan since the noise stops and goes (colder weather maybe?) and following the description of others, this fan makes a similar noise... The noise goes up and down with the revs and is audible in all gears (until the wind noise takes over) and starts from cold. It could also be my imagination but I tend to believe the engine holds in a little under 2500 rpm, when it is not making the noise I do not have this feeling...

Which components can get "unstuck" under high rpm's? I also do not have any vibrations.

@Olders: before my gearbox died I always had the feeling that the car was not keeping it's rpm when cruising on the motorway (juddering). You could try to reset the gearbox adaptation BMW procedure that worked for my MY.

Regards,
Kenny

Post #70220 27th Jun 2011 9:11pm
Olders

Thanks for input.

Knowing my luck it will be the diff about to let go! Crying or Very sad

Is there anything I can do to ascertain for certain?

Could it just be that the fluids need changing or would you suggest that the damage is already done? -----------------------------------------------

Post #70237 27th Jun 2011 10:34pm
sportin

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

When you next notice the noise, turn off the climate control completely. Let me know if that has any effect on it 2006 RR 4.4 HSE
2008 Audi A6

Post #70436 29th Jun 2011 5:05am
Olders

Interesting. Shall do. What is the thinking behind that - out of interest? -----------------------------------------------

Post #70453 29th Jun 2011 9:30am
sportin

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm not 100% on the technical jargon..but...when the CC is turned on, part of the compressor where the belt is, pops out , sort of like a clutch, and it engages the system. I heard that if there is a problem with this ??cluthch?? it could cause a moan, or whining noise that varies with the engine rpm. Supposedly it gets more noticeable when the engine is warmed up...theory is, that as the belt warms, it expands, and exacerbates the noise.
My vehicle does this and when I shut off the CC it stops. I've been told it could be a compressor, belt, tensioner, or even an a/c charge is needed....who knows...I'll let my indie figure it out. I wanted to see if perhaps your problem wasn't as doom and gloom as a major drive train component, and maybe it was just something like this.

You can follow this link to the ZF trrouble shooting guide.
http://www.imarksweb.net/book/land+rover+d...+shooting/ 2006 RR 4.4 HSE
2008 Audi A6

Post #70557 29th Jun 2011 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1