Home > Technical (L322) > Tow Bar Help Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
garyRR

United Kingdom 

beemer5711 wrote:
Hi again,

I tested the existing 13 pin socket today with a made up lighting board the caravan dealer has. All worked, but there was nothing in the dash to say it was using the socket.

In other cars I’ve towed with a there has been a separate light for the indicators, or an additional beep when indicating.

Should there be something think this on the 2012 L322?

I did read about it needing to be told it’s going to tow? Also might be because it’s just a lighting board and only the light pins are being used?

So long as the board uses incandescent bulbs, a little trailer icon should appear on the driver display when activating a light (e.g. indicator). If it isn't, the CCF will need programming to tell it 13 pin electrics are fitted. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672365 30th Aug 2023 8:42pm
beemer5711

Wales 

Arbuckle wrote:
The electrics look for the load of tungsten stop light bulbs to enable the car to know there is a trailer present. LED's do not draw enough current.
Once it recognizes the load, the indicator repeater will light up and the software will ask what type of trailer is connected.
Well, that's how my Westie seems to work anyway.

Thanks. When you say software will ask what type of trailer is connected, is that on the dash?

Post #672367 30th Aug 2023 8:50pm
beemer5711

Wales 

garyRR wrote:
beemer5711 wrote:
Hi again,

I tested the existing 13 pin socket today with a made up lighting board the caravan dealer has. All worked, but there was nothing in the dash to say it was using the socket.

In other cars I’ve towed with a there has been a separate light for the indicators, or an additional beep when indicating.

Should there be something think this on the 2012 L322?

I did read about it needing to be told it’s going to tow? Also might be because it’s just a lighting board and only the light pins are being used?

So long as the board uses incandescent bulbs, a little trailer icon should appear on the driver display when activating a light (e.g. indicator). If it isn't, the CCF will need programming to tell it 13 pin electrics are fitted.

Thanks again

Post #672368 30th Aug 2023 8:52pm
Arbuckle

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Fuji White

Thanks. When you say software will ask what type of trailer is connected, is that on the dash?[/quote]

A message will come up on the central display asking if something has been connected.
Then a range of trailers. Select Caravan and then a confirm on lower right hand side I think.
I do this so often I don't take much notice anymore.
Hope this helps. Forty years of progress. 1972-2012

Post #672416 31st Aug 2023 1:25pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I think that only applies if trailer assist is fitted / activated. My infotainment screen doesn't display anything when connected, just the trailer icon on the driver display. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672421 31st Aug 2023 2:10pm
beemer5711

Wales 

Can tow assist be turned on on any car?

What is towing preparation? Same thing?

Post #672432 31st Aug 2023 4:21pm
matthews

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

If replacing the whole thing try PF jones and go for the westfalia one (2 options one with detachable and one fixedish ) there wiring kit is also plug n play on a 4.4tdv8 with no programming required unless you want the fog lights deactivating (2x7 pin anyway), re fitting (I've done a couple) its bumper off and nuts n bolts , a bit awkward round exhaust but not that bad . I use the one with the square hole receiver type hitch that slides in and is locked by a big pin but have put the full detachable hitch (like the D3/4type swan neck) on someone else car for them , dragged caravan's and car transporter trailers round for 7ish years now with no issues . (just watch your speed as it's very easy to hit 80/90 whilst overtaking with van on back ).

Post #673749 18th Sep 2023 11:25pm
matthews

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Answer 2 regarding electrics , my caravan has normal bulbs and when connected bottom left of main dash has a little trailer logo in green that flashes when indicating , it also works fine when I have Thule bike rack on and that is full led , don't know if Thule fit load resistors though .

Post #673750 18th Sep 2023 11:30pm
beemer5711

Wales 

Thanks to everyone on here, your help has been great.

I managed to work out that the kit fitted to my car was a Witter, so I was just missing the swan neck. My local tow bar guy is a Witter dealer, so I popped down and he had something there that would fit. It’s an accessory bar, not want I wanted, as I just wanted a simple swan neck, but this is fine as I will just remove when not towing. I got a new ball, back plate and electric socket mount.

Electrics tested and working fine (13 pin). Next on list is to remove the frame from the car, clean it from surface rust, inspect it to ensure just surface rust and no cracked welds and paint it hammerite black.

Looks tidy so far though.

Click image to enlarge

Post #673940 20th Sep 2023 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123