Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Oil reading problems - suggestions and thoughts please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NorthernChap

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Oil reading problems - suggestions and thoughts please

Hi everyone, I’ve just become the owner of a 2014 L405 SDV8 autobiography a few weeks ago. The car had a slight oil leak when it was with the dealer and I’m told it was resolved by a Land Rover main dealer prior to me purchasing it a few weeks ago, I think they referred to the offending item as a vacuum pump gasket?

Anyhow, since picking it up I’ve constantly had the oil reading tell me it’s underfilled. I added 1.5 litre of oil as per the owners manual advice but didn’t want to add anymore in case it ended up being overfilled. I decided to order 10 litres of oil and drain via my suction pump to get a definitive answer on whether it was underfilled on.

Just finished the oil change and I sucked out 10 litres of oil, certainly not underfilled! I’ve filled it back up with 9 litres and unfortunately still get an oil level underfilled on the dash when measuring the oil. I’ve followed all the advice of waiting 20 minutes, pressing cancel twice to get a definitive reading etc, unfortunately I can’t get anything other than underfilled.

I’ve read about the numerous issues with oil sensors on the L405, I guess this is another case of the sensor reading faulty? I had assumed that when the sensors go faulty, they just show oil level unavailable? Is there any merit in clambering underneath, unplugging the sensor and trying to clean it with brake cleaner? Suggestions and input welcomed, thanks

Post #672555 2nd Sep 2023 1:28pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Have you reset the average oil level?
Step 18 onwards in the attached workshop instruction.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/u...ILLING.pdf

Post #672561 2nd Sep 2023 5:36pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Great info Phoenix. Thumbs Up overfinch modified

Post #672563 2nd Sep 2023 5:59pm
NorthernChap

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Yeah, I’ve tried the reset procedure as per those documents but no joy I’m afraid

Post #672566 2nd Sep 2023 7:27pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Looks like potentially a new sensor then - which is a sump pan remove & refit job.
from the WSM:-
"To measure the oil level, the sensor sends an ultrasonic pulse vertically upward. It then
measures the time for the pulse to be reflected back from the top surface of the oil.

Warnings are displayed in the message center if the oil level is not maintained within
the safe operating levels (minimum and maximum). A warning is also be displayed if
there is a fault with the oil level monitoring system".

The fact you have no 'unavailable' warning or DTC would preclude a significant wiring or detectable fault (e.g. ultrasonic emitter/receiver internal defect), if you can, check the engine oil temperature sensor for plausibility (warm day, engine at ambient) if it is significantly low, that may indicate a low sensor supply voltage or high ground resistance external to the sensor connector on the sump.

Post #672569 2nd Sep 2023 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1