Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jomo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Nara Bronze
Wedge key?

Hi all.

Short version:
How do I tell if a worn wedge key is stopping one of my side steps from retracting and, if it's that, what options do I have now replacement parts seem to no longer be available?

Longer version:
One of my deployable side steps has stopped working. The step will only close an inch or so from the fully open position and then stop. So I've been driving round with one step stuck out for 3 months - kind of ruins the image.

I've owned the vehicle for 5 years so I'm well acquainted with the need to regularly lube all the moving parts of the brackets, but this time is different. It just comes to a firm stop rather than hitting resistance and reopening. From reading other posts on here I'm guessing it may be a worn wedge key. Problems is I don't know what this is. I haven't been able to find anything that gives me a useful picture or describes it in a way that I can understand, so I'm not sure how to check. I've taken the whole step off the car to get a better look but am still unclear. Can anyone give me a bit more info?

Assuming it likely is the wedge key, what options are there to resolve it now the whole lot seems to be out of production? Is this the end of my steps? (on the plus side, at least I now know how to take them off).

Cheers,
Jon 2011 5.0 S/C

Post #668102 1st Jul 2023 7:11pm
Jomo

So I took the step off the car, thoroughly degreased it, let it soak in WD40 for a few weeks and then lubed it with silicone spray. Tested it by putting a 12V battery across the yellow and orange wires and it all worked perfectly, smoothly opening and closing fully.

Connected it to the car wiring and it still only closes a couple of inches from fully open.

I tried resetting the steps using the roof button (hold button, ignition on, ignition off). No joy.

Did a hard battery reset. Still the same. Driver's side works perfectly. Passenger side moves between fully open and two inches from fully open.

I don't believe it's the anti-trap mechanism as, from memory, it opens again once it detects resistance, and it's not doing that. Just a definite stop, as if the ECU thinks it's reached the end of it's movement.

Any suggestions? 2011 5.0 S/C

Post #674143 24th Sep 2023 5:16pm
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I believe the ECU is only monitoring the current load, if the load is excessive it will stop power to the motor. When you tested it off the vehicle connected directly to the battery you obviously bypassed the ecu therefore more amps where available from the battery allowing it to move. It will still be due to corrosion of the hinges that is preventing it from moving in and out correctly. Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #674155 24th Sep 2023 7:38pm
landy95

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

There shouldn't be any wear to the wedge key as it's not a moving part, it literally locks the motor shaft to the hinge on the bracket. I suggest you remove the the motor from the bracket and check for corrosion of the shaft where it locates in the bracket. Clean it out lubricate and reassemble. Also own a 1976 Land Rover 101 3.5 V8.
Previously owned 1991 Range Rover Vogue 3.9 V8.

Post #674157 24th Sep 2023 7:50pm
Jomo

That all makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I'll try what you suggest. 2011 5.0 S/C

Post #674212 25th Sep 2023 11:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1