Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > “radio crackle” keys out, radio off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
crankcase

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green
“radio crackle” keys out, radio off

Hello all
Vehicle: 2004 RR TD6. RHD UK based. Owned since 2015.
The car has not been “messed with” electrically or any other way.
I`ve searched archive, cant find anything specific to this, and with key out !
I do not have a diagnostics tool
Clearly its electrics related, I`m reasonably mechanically competent but electrics I struggle with.
I have the rear access panels off and the boot accessed.
the car is not “leaking in” (yet !)

Issue: “radio crackle”
On opening the car door (key not in ignition, radio off) there is a loud “radio crackle” coming from the front driver side speaker.
Car also struggled to start, so there may be a battery drain. Unsurprising as the key is out when it crackles, which clearly means a drain somewhere, I imagine.
The tyre bay rear compartments L/R are not flooded.
That said, we`ve had wet weather and high humidity lately and we all know RR hate damp.
The car is the car is kept outside, Though the rear end is under a roof cover.
I also have my wet dog in the car a lot, though he’s boxed and there a deep drip tray, so
No water can get into the compartments. Humidity though, can.

So, has anyone out there had this scenario and located and cured the problem please.
Hope that’s enough info
Cheers for any pointers
Phil

Post #676413 25th Oct 2023 1:59pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Have you checked the harness between the door & body? It sounds very much like there is mutual detrimental contact between the speaker wiring and the 12v wiring, given that is the only part of the harness that is intended to move, I'd start there.

Post #676424 25th Oct 2023 3:24pm
crankcase

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Thank you for your reply Phoenix,
Do I need to take the door card off for that ? as I can`t seam to access it at the rubber gaitor which bridges the gap.

Did more investigation last night and if the headlights are turned on (key out of ignition) the noise changes to a constant and annoyingly loud “buzz” with headlights off (keys out) it goes to a “pulsing” crackle.

When the key is put in the ignition and turned to 1st position there is a very loud “thud” type sound from the rear of the car (audio related, not mechanical, like an amp if you hit the mic on a sound system. (hard to describe it)
I charged battery all day, left it 3 hours and back to flat !

I also removed the 3 connectors from the amp. Blew out with compressor, cleaned and applied moisture displacement oil
If the small from connector is removed the buzzing stops, but the car still drains to flat and the amp thud is still there.

If nobody reading this has any direct experience of the issue, thoughts or possible solutions for me, can anybody out there please recommend a RR experienced auto electrician that can look at this for me.
I`m near Bolton, Lancs and hitting brick walls everywhere I turn on this problem.
I fully expect to pay for the work, I just do not want an have-a-go merchant on it.. TIA Phil

Post #676480 26th Oct 2023 9:49am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The body side of the harness is on a multiplug, from memory there's a small screw underneath it where it goes onto the A pillar to gain access - it could well be the connector is full of water from your expanded narrative of the fault.
No autos electrician will give you a price for fault finding on a job like this, finding the fault is the unknown cost, fixing the fault can be easily quantified once the location and scope is identified.
Taking the door card off may give you partial access but you need to remove the connector on the A pillar to fully access the suspect section of the harness.

Post #676499 26th Oct 2023 3:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1