Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Battery not starting your car? It won’t happen again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RogueRanger

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Battery not starting your car? It won’t happen again!

A few days after buying my car (2005 4.2sc) the battery was flat. It was a cold morning and I was stuck and worse still, there was no space to jump start it from another car. I’d been working on it with the audio system playing, tailgate open, doors opening and closing and assumed that the battery wasn’t up to it. There was only one solution: a new battery.

It wasn’t until I took the old one out and charged it up that I realised it’s perfectly healthy. The problem was my tailgate interior light was on all that time because the latch required adjustment.

So lesson learned. But after reading all the battery drain issues on here I thought I don’t ever want to be in that position again and a little research brought this up on Amazon - see pic. It’s a bit bigger than a mobile phone charging pack yet it pushes out up to 1500 amps. It will jump start a 6ltr petrol engine or a 4ltr diesel. More powerful models are available if you have the 4.4 diesel. This one is the GE1500 model and cost less than £50 on Amazon. I think of it an insurance premium and it’s far better value than what I’m getting from my insurers!

I wasn’t aware that such things exist and thought others might benefit from knowing about it.

Click image to enlarge
 Des

2005 (2006 MY) L322 4.2sc Java Black, 2010 facelift conversion
1965 Lenham Lemans GT 1310 , Gulf Racing blue, FIA spec and road legal
2018 F56 Mini JCW, Thunder Grey/Black, Mulgari St2 tuned, FMIC, short shifter and Eibach springs

Post #685178 9th Feb 2024 12:31pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i got a couple of these for my boys xmas presents....much better than having to trickle charge.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #685194 9th Feb 2024 3:52pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

So is the compass because it only works facing North ? Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #685204 9th Feb 2024 5:21pm
RogueRanger

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

It’s for navigating around the engine bay Des

2005 (2006 MY) L322 4.2sc Java Black, 2010 facelift conversion
1965 Lenham Lemans GT 1310 , Gulf Racing blue, FIA spec and road legal
2018 F56 Mini JCW, Thunder Grey/Black, Mulgari St2 tuned, FMIC, short shifter and Eibach springs

Post #685206 9th Feb 2024 6:03pm
RovingCanary

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Agreed great tools - I bought a similar thing from Halfords when I got stranded with a flat motorbike battery one day, starts the 4.4 diesel with no issues, and I keep it in the boot all the time

Post #685318 11th Feb 2024 1:39am
TST717

United Kingdom 

Thats great to know... I bought 2 of these to have as 'insurance' after i had a few battery problems with smaller cars ...
Taught SHMBO that if she ever had a flat battery or any neighbour has an issue - how to hook it up and what to do ........................and ......

not so much as even had a blip on any battery so that i could come to the rescue ... !

Still great to know they are there ... !!

Post #685320 11th Feb 2024 4:19am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I got something similar, since I got it I have never had a problem. However my neighbours appreciate it as does the Damsell in distress on IKEAs car asking if I could jump her - needless to say I got her going Very Happy Geoff

Post #685332 11th Feb 2024 10:42am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

every mans fantasy Geoff.. Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #685333 11th Feb 2024 10:50am
TST717

United Kingdom 

😂😂😂😂😂

A gentleman never refuses a lady !

Hope my neighbour never asks that ….!

Post #685334 11th Feb 2024 11:14am
PDC

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black

Everything is half price at the moment on GOOLOO website. I never knew that I wanted one but I think I'm going to treat myself. Rolling with laughter 2010 RR Autobiography 5.0SC
2020 F-Pace SVR
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2014 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2009 RRS HST V8

Post #685401 11th Feb 2024 10:31pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
Technical Details

For those who are wary of the claims for these starters here is how they manage to do the impossible -

A lead acid battery has big, smooth pieces of lead (half are 'pure' lead, half with sulphate attached) with lots of electrolyte is contact with them. A typical car battery has 6 x 2.1V cells in series, providing 12.6V when lightly loaded. When a starter motor is connected the lead plates and electrolyte interact and release lots of amps at more than 12 volts for a fraction of a second, then the electrolyte in contact with the plates is chemically changed and blocks further reaction until liquid flow/turbulence brings fresh electrolyte into contact with them. Voltage and amps drop rapidly, but the inertia of the spinning motor doesn't need as much power to keep turning, so cranking will continue for many seconds if required. The recommended current draw is typically 4C where C = Amp hour Capacity of the battery.

A LiFeO or LiPo battery has thin, roughened sheets of Lithium metal (half 'pure', half with Fe ions or calcinated) with a thin, perforated polymer plus electrolyte between them. Both the polymer and the electrolyte can carry charge to produce a little bit of power when required. The clue here is 'thin'. The insulator, Lithium, polymer/electrolyte and Fe ion/Calcated Lithium stack is very thin and each cell is a long, long, folded strip of of this stack. A little bit of power from an extremely large surface area of battery adds up to lots of power. The thin layer of electrolyte also allows rapid mixing so the reaction continues at close to its starting level for several seconds. A typical Lithium 'jump starter' has 4 x 3.6V cells or 3 x 4.2V cells in series (multiple, paralleled), providing 12.6/14.4V when lighly loaded, but maintaining >11V under load until a protection circuit cuts it off. Typical current draw is as high as 40C !

The 40C to 4C discharge ratio is what gives the Lithium jump starters an advantage when a car is in good condition, but the short overall cranking time makes them unsuitable for vehicles with problems other than just a flat battery.

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #685738 16th Feb 2024 12:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1