Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Too low a mileage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Nasher

Too low a mileage

I'm going to look at a 2018 L405 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography tomorrow.

I don't know the couple who own it, but was passed their details by a local used car dealer who I contacted about an older L405 which turned out to be not for me.
This one is too valuable for him to deal with apparently, and he's been honest that there are a couple of issues he won't take a chance on.
The gentleman has given up driving for medical reasons and wants the car away from temptation to use.

The car is almost the spec I want, but doesn't have the 1700W Meridian system, and has Silver wheels not Black, but the wheels are easily sorted.

It's apparently immaculate inside and out except the boot area, which has had a dog crate on one side directly onto the carpet, and has been used to carry firewood a couple of times on the other side direct on the carpet. The load space cover is also missing.
I'm not that worried about the boot space as because of the use my cars are put to the first thing I'd be fitting is a full load space liner and rubber mat anyway.

But, more of a worry is that the car was registered in June 2018 and has only done 11,500 miles.
It should also be noted that the driveway of their house looks to be @1/4 long in itself, so a lump of that mileage is up and down the drive.
There was also a comment from the owners apparently that it's not done enough miles for a service!

Obviously I'm worried about Oil dilution, DPF etc etc, and the first thing I'll be establishing is if it's done thousands of trips to the shops or has just been used twice a year to drive to their house in France.
If the former I think I'll just walk away.

The dealer has apparently tried to give them a realistic expectation of it's value considering the above couple of paragraphs, but doesn't know what their attitude will be when I get there in that respect.

If it's really cheap it could be worth the risk.

What do 'we' all think?

Post #686400 25th Feb 2024 11:25am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i'd get the vin number and put it into the LR online service history site...

https://osh.landrover.com/ ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #686402 25th Feb 2024 11:28am
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

I once bought a P38 that had only covered 3.5k miles in 3 years from new. I was dubious at first but that became one of the most reliable LRs I’ve owned and only required routine servicing in the 3 years I owned it.

Because of its lack of use it was immaculate and I got a good price for it when I sold it 3 years later having taken the mileage to 45k.

If they’re not asking silly money and it all stacks up I would buy it.

Post #686404 25th Feb 2024 12:22pm
Nasher

stan wrote:
i'd get the vin number and put it into the LR online service history site...

https://osh.landrover.com/

Thanks Stan, if it looks like it's worth taking a risk I'll note the VIN number, but will check the service book first.

However, by the sound of it the car hasn't been back to LR since it was collected new in June 2018, nearly 6yrs ago, the owner ignoring the 12month schedule requirement in favour of the 16K miles.
I'm assuming some sort of message has popped up every time he's driven it for the last 5yrs.

It's feasible of course that in in 11,500 miles it's also not needed tyres, brake pads, discs etc.

I have a GAP IID that I use on my D4, but obviously I won't be able to plug it into the L405 tomorrow as I'd need a licence for it, but will take along my generic reader to see what it can read.

I do all my own work on my cars, so am not frightened of getting it home and giving it a thorough service.

I think the old trick of taking the Oil filler cap off to look for Mayonnaise might tell a story here.

Post #686410 25th Feb 2024 12:56pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

If the price is right I'd take a punt on it.

However, I would take it straight to a good independant for complete fluid changes & diagnostics/check up.

Once sorted I would take it for a decent run, building up to a bit of hard driving.

If, after all if it's troublesome you should get your money back because of the low miles covered - low miles is still the holy grail for some.

Post #686416 25th Feb 2024 1:39pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

The low mileage is a plus for me BUT regardless I would want to see at least 3 oil and filter changes,(every two years)and a full service done now. without these, it would be a no from me. overfinch modified

Post #686420 25th Feb 2024 2:53pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Don’t know if it applies to the L405 but the Gap tool works for any L322. Only reads faults no CCF without being registered to VIN.

Fault reading is all you need at this stage. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #686423 25th Feb 2024 3:07pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

I bought mine when it was 3Y old, with 9k miles I thought that was low Rolling with laughter it was a London Chelsea school bus. I kept the extended warranty and it has so far has paid for itself and saved more.
3Y later still love the car even though I dont like the fuel dilution. The one you are going to see maybe will have a lot of failed Active Regens, this can be seen on some Code readers worth noting not a concern if its had regular oil changes though.

Does it still have extended warranty if it does then its transferable and will see you out till June and worth extending it another year incase!!! If you go for it.

the service is 16k miles OR 1Year which ever happens first.

So it should have at had at least 5 recorded services on OSH with oil and filter changes, if not I would walk away as its not even satisfied warranty conditions.

Check the oil level sensor works and that N375 has been done. It possibly hasn't, because engine oil has never been hot enough for long enough to migrate. I had migration during my 1st month or 2 of ownership, as the engine was finally loaded and used, this migration was spotted early as the oil level sensor failed to show, and I had the fix done and a new turbo actuator replaced on warranty.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post549920.html

Check NAV system works, Remote app etc Internet etc I had a TCU failure fortunately under warranty it was several £k's and weeks Rolling with laughter

Watch the dash when you switch on to see if the service light appears momentarily, or if you can view his Remote app Home page view status, app tells you when service is due/overdue and of course backed up on the OSH unless serviced at a garage that doest have Topix access?

Take a code reader with you on a test drive see what's been happening Autel AP200 is a cheap reader and will clear faults (If you want to that is?).

What price are they looking for? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #686461 25th Feb 2024 9:14pm
Nasher

I’ve walked away from this one.

The car is in very good cosmetic condition inside and out.
The 11,500 miles would appear to be genuine.
The damage in the boot area isn’t significant.
It’s stored in a dry Barn.

The car has no number plates on it, the Private Reg that was on it has been put on retention by the owner’s family in another bid to stop him driving it.
The car was delivered with the private plates on by Land Rover, and the owners have no knowledge of any original Reg Number.
I’m assuming Land Rover could help with this given the VIN.

It has only ever really been used for local journeys, and in the last 3yrs it has only been to the pub and back @2 miles away.

There are multiple lit warning lights and messages in the menu about service etc.

The handbrake is inoperative, with the warning light lit.

On checking the Oil level it is on the full level.
I’m assuming the Oil is full of Diesel.

Having been told the car is in regular use for the short journeys I did start it, but turned it off after @30 seconds when the noise from the Hydraulic tappets didn’t fade and I was concerned. The owner apparently drives it like that because he’s hard of hearing and can’t hear them in the cabin.
A good service could quiet it down, but I’m not sure how much I’d trust it, or for how long.
I’m assuming the Cams and followers are toast, and the mains are living on borrowed time.

The car has had Zero maintenance since it was delivered in June 2018.
The owner insists it needs nothing until 16K miles regardless of time, messages, noises, etc.

I asked for the Private plate reg number to check it’s MOT history and was told it’s never had one.
It appears the owner had his licence removed for medical reasons before the car needed it’s first MOT in 2021, but continues to drive it to the pub and back, which is why it’s being sold, to stop him driving it.
It has not been MOT’d, Taxed, or I assume insured, since.

Oh, and because of the very low mileage the owner believes it to be very desirable and will not take any less than £55K for it.

I was polite, and bit my lip about the privileged arrogant few in society who believe they are above the law.

As mentioned, I walked away.

Post #686493 26th Feb 2024 3:36pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i think i would have as well... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #686494 26th Feb 2024 3:41pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Too right. Well done OP. Ive always said higher price due to low mileage is b Censored ks. for £55k you can get a 2020 with 30k miles or so. Much better prospect.

Post #686499 26th Feb 2024 5:43pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

lol, I would love to check that engine oil.Very bad. 55k? Kot will sell you his for that. Laughing overfinch modified

Post #686516 26th Feb 2024 8:10pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

Although I originally thought it would be worth a punt in the light of the further information then I too would have walked away (unless it was up for sub £20k.

Post #686528 26th Feb 2024 9:27pm
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

@£55k I think it’s going to be sitting in that barn for quite a while Confused

Post #686556 27th Feb 2024 9:24am
Nasher

SamThomas wrote:
Although I originally thought it would be worth a punt in the light of the further information then I too would have walked away (unless it was up for sub £20k.

I must admit I was thinking that it might be worth considering if sub £25K.
But that's based on the fact that I'm more than capable of sourcing a low mileage engine and fitting it myself, so paying somebody else's time doesn't need to be covered.

But having slept on it for a couple of days I don't think it would be worth it.
I have too many other projects on the go to divert on to this for several weekends of what free time I get.
And it's worth and desirability will always be tainted by the lack of history.

And as suggested by Dolphinboy, the truth is that very nice 2017-2019 ABs are available for what it would cost me without the hassle of skinned knuckles etc.

I must admit though I'm curious about the registration thing.
Are all cars registered with a standard age related number then transferred to a private plate even if the plan is to have the private plate from new?
Or will this one need to be allocated an age related plate?
Which could be more hassle.

Post #686557 27th Feb 2024 9:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>