Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Dreaded Sunroof Drain Failure - Soaked Floor and Electrical
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CJames525

United States 2017 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Dreaded Sunroof Drain Failure - Soaked Floor and Electrical

After a bunch of research, I uncovered my sunroof drains were completed rotted and clogged. While driving home the other night in the pouring rain, the instrument cluster and navigation display went completely dark. I was able to make it home and let the car sit over night and woke up in the morning and the car started normal and all was working. A few short minutes later, all was dark again and I put my hand on the floor to find it completely soaked. I searched the site and found the sunroof issue. I went outside and pulled down the headliner to find the drains completed clogged. I did in fact repair the drains by threading in some brass fittings and using epoxy.

Here is now what I am left with:
-The car starts the first time after letting it sit for some time. Upon turning it off, it will not turn back on for some time.
-The cluster and infotainment screen do not illuminate when starting the car or when the car is running
-After turning the car off or opening the doors, the infotainment screen cycles through “Land Rover” for a few minutes (on and off the display goes) until going black.

I looked for some tutorials on removing the carpeting to try and dry it out that way, but did not find anything and did not want to start breaking panels and plastics. The car currently has a dehumidifier running in it.

I saw some nightmare stories on the forum while researching and hoping this is not one of them. I have only had the car for a couple of months and have only put 1k miles on it. I see the amp is prone to failing when the floor becomes saturated. What would the symptoms of a ruined AMP be?

Outside towing it to an independent shop, any help on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2017 Range Rover SCV8 LHD

Post #687629 9th Mar 2024 4:01pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The water is causing a short somewhere, if you keep "trying" it it may only get worse...

You need to get the inside removed and dry it out properly, I drowned my 322 in a river and after a week with a dehumidifier in and the interior out everything worked again...

The carpet has up to 8 inches of foam attached in places, it would take months to draw out all the water with it in situ....

It's an awful lot of work but IMHO I don't see you have much choice...

There are pictures of my 322, which is similar, in the thread link in my signature, can't remember what page though....

Good luck Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #687846 12th Mar 2024 10:27am
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

Near the bottom of page 5 Wink

Great read btw Thumbs Up

Post #687875 12th Mar 2024 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1