Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Should I be worried about my gearbox?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ReggieMac

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Should I be worried about my gearbox?

Hi all, just a short while ago I went in the RR, first drive today. Started up, reversed off drive and proceeded to accelerate down road BUT the gearbox would not change up, basically stuck in first gear. Continued along for a further 100 yards and then the gearbox changed gear as normal. This is only the third time that this has happened, always after startup from cold and always resolves itself. 99% of the time I do not have this issue from cold start.

Is this something I should be worried about? Is it a warning that the gearbox needs some TLC? Maybe a flush? Or should I not be worried about it?

2019 4.4 Diesel AB with 56K+ mileage and full JLR service history.

Post #688814 23rd Mar 2024 4:47pm
gt40

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

This is what happens if you bump one of the paddle shifters by mistake which is very easy to do without realizing it. The gearbox will go into manual mode and stay in the selected gear. After a while it reverts back to automatic if you dont continue using the paddles. (or will remain in manual if the gear selector is in Sport mode)

To get out of manual mode, simply select and hold the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds or change the gear selector from D to S and back to D again.

Post #688839 24th Mar 2024 2:31am
Alex1976

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

If it is not the accidental use of the paddles causing this, the the gearbox holding on to first gear, especiallly when cold, is a sign that you need to change the oil and filter in the gearbox. Dirty oil/debris will cause this symptom.

At 56k miles you are due for a gearbox oil and filter service. Landrover say it’s ‘sealed for life’ but the manufacturers of the gearbox say to do a service at around 60k miles.

Post #688841 24th Mar 2024 8:27am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

………. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 18th Apr 2024 11:51pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #688849 24th Mar 2024 9:53am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I also have a strange problem also with the gearbox, if I am slowing down for a junction say the accelerate into a gap there is often a jump/knock/whatever and then a sudden leap forward. I tried changing the oil to no avail but is this a "feature". It's not actually a problem but is it a precursor for something down the line.

BTW
I'm not hijacking the thread, I am worried (a little bit at least) about my gearbox.

In answer to the OP mine sometimes holds a low gear when very cold in order to warm up the engine I believe. Geoff

Post #688855 24th Mar 2024 10:47am
cozzy

England 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Had exactly the same fault with my vehicle.......changed both battery's and perfect now.

Regards,

Cozzy.

Post #688929 25th Mar 2024 9:22am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

supershuttle, what you describe sounds like the gear change software fault that has been the subject of a technical bulletin by LR. The problem is that on a downshift/kickdown the lower gear does not come in fast enough, so the revs are higher by the time it does so and one gets the thump down the driveline. A software update by the dealer cured mine of this. There are other threads on this if you want to search for additional commentary. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #688937 25th Mar 2024 11:33am
ReggieMac

I am thinking that a gearbox flush might help, it might also address the occasional clunk that I get when switching from P to D. I am not sure what it is that I need to be searching for in Google, I put in 'Mega Flush' or 'Gearbox Flush' and I get lots of results but they all so far away from me. Does anybody know of anywhere in or around the Wolverhampton area that offer this service?

Post #688943 25th Mar 2024 1:12pm
Alex1976

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

If you want the gearbox flushed then this guy seems very well thought of:

http://updatesbybodsy.co.uk/

He is mobile so comes to you, and fairly sure he covers Wolverhampton area.

Post #688953 25th Mar 2024 2:13pm
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

supershuttle wrote:
I also have a strange problem also with the gearbox, if I am slowing down for a junction say the accelerate into a gap there is often a jump/knock/whatever and then a sudden leap forward. I tried changing the oil to no avail but is this a "feature". It's not actually a problem but is it a precursor for something down the line.

BTW
I'm not hijacking the thread, I am worried (a little bit at least) about my gearbox.

In answer to the OP mine sometimes holds a low gear when very cold in order to warm up the engine I believe.

BMW X5 (i cant remember if it was the E53 or E70) are known for lurching forward slightly when coming to a complete stop - mine did it. Some will tell you "they all do that", but I took mine to Dartford Transmissions and they advised me it wasn't "normal" at all. They serviced the box and fixed the lurching.

Post #688969 25th Mar 2024 6:40pm
ReggieMac

Thanks Alex1976 I have dropped him an email and will see if he does cover my area. I have also been given a contact in Malvern who tell me that they do it for £300 + VAT, what do folks think of that price, is that reasonable?

Post #688970 25th Mar 2024 6:53pm
lee.norg

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Waitomo Grey

I would say that's a good price.I had mine done a couple of years ago for £320 as a precautionary measure by Autotran in Stockport. 2016 Range Rover L405 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #689022 26th Mar 2024 9:59am
ReggieMac

Nice, so I have gone ahead and booked in for a Megaflush and hope that will smooth things down.

Post #689030 26th Mar 2024 12:33pm
jaysta10k

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi guys I have the exact same issue hesitation when cold changing from 2nd to 3rd when cars warms up its fine. Also hard bang seems like centre of car when kick down and it feels like a lag hesitation when pulling out of a junction and giving it some throttle. I have done the transmission software update from GAP and reset adaptations never cured it also had transmission and transfer case oils done. Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Audi A4 2.7 TDI S Line Black Edition phantomn black
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
Java black Range Rover sport 2.7 TDV6
Alaska white Range Rover sport overfinch 3.6 TDV8
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #690902 19th Apr 2024 12:54pm
ReggieMac

Had a MegaFlush done on mine today so it was needed maintenance if nothing else. First impressions was a smoother gear change so will see how it goes. Thumbs Up _______________________________________________

2019 4.4 V8 Diesel Range Rover Autobiography, Byron Blue

Post #690918 19th Apr 2024 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>