Home > General > So... road tax... please can this be April fools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
So... road tax... please can this be April fools

Just seen this
My 4.4TDV8 cost £675 in January... next January seems it will cost £120 more?
Cannot be true? FFS

https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/car-...Fi8Kd-aL5P Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #689658 1st Apr 2024 11:16pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Count your blessings !
In the Netherlands you could pay €4000 per year for a 3.6 TDV8 ! Shocked

No, that doesn't include insurance, maintenance or fuel...

Post #689662 2nd Apr 2024 4:22am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Re: So... road tax... please can this be April fools

Somebody needs to pay for all of the potholes, this year, you have been chosen Whistle BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #689678 2nd Apr 2024 5:18am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I think it's no coincidence that there has been a significant increase in potholes in line with the increasing numbers of heavy electric cars. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Geoff

Post #689711 2nd Apr 2024 8:47am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

So we will have to pay for the equivelent of less than an an extra tank of fuel a year Big Cry Rolling with laughter
What about the plans to make ownership of a large 4x4 in urban areas without a reasonable excuse a 'hate crime' punishable by up to 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine - never gets talked about on MSM but was all over the internet yesterday before it was taken down by the deep state today Wink 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689713 2nd Apr 2024 9:02am
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/m...hicles.pdf

£710 for my 2012 4.4 TDV8, 253 g/km Band L from Apr 1st.

Could be worse Big Cry

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #689716 2nd Apr 2024 9:56am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've not read anything about it going up £140.

As of 1st April, the 4.4 TDV8 is now £710 and the 5.0 is £735.

Our 4.4 was SORN so we taxed it on Sunday to start from yesterday so it was done before the price rise. It's not a huge increase but when we all pay as much in taxes as we do it's nice to feel like you've got a small win.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #689721 2nd Apr 2024 10:26am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

supershuttle wrote:
I think it's no coincidence that there has been a significant increase in potholes in line with the increasing numbers of heavy electric cars. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You probably havent noticed that the average EV weighs less than one of your beloved Rangies? and you may have spotted from time to time these big vehicles called Articulated Lorries, they tend to weigh in just a tad more than EV's. We definately need you guys to cough up some more road tax and fuel duty revenue to smooth the way for us EV riders on the roads Laughing BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #689737 2nd Apr 2024 1:39pm
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

ya its €2400 a year to tax a Range Rover in Ireland so you guys in the UK are doing ok for now. I think Germany is another place where road tax seems fair. Unfortunately we have a green party minister that is head of all things anti car so our rates are only going to go one way. That and our VRT and NOx tax are insane. Basically if you live in rural Ireland and own a RR or similar to tow a trailer or deal with bad roads you are punished. Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #689740 2nd Apr 2024 2:06pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Germany is not too bad. It's around €550 per annum for a Euro 4 3.6 tdv8.

Post #689758 2nd Apr 2024 4:53pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Fla wrote:
ya its €2400 a year to tax a Range Rover in Ireland so you guys in the UK are doing ok for now. I think Germany is another place where road tax seems fair. Unfortunately we have a green party minister that is head of all things anti car so our rates are only going to go one way. That and our VRT and NOx tax are insane. Basically if you live in rural Ireland and own a RR or similar to tow a trailer or deal with bad roads you are punished.

Highway maintenance is the biggest slice of many counties budget ( talking to somone who is running one last summer) so it doesn't seem all that unfair to charge users. Roads are empty of traffic and very well maintained compared to the UK. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689761 2nd Apr 2024 5:08pm
AndyRoo

Road tax in the UK has nothing at all to do with your use of the road, it's a personal tax based on the type of car you own, regardless of how much you drive it, plain and simple.

Depends where you source the data but essentially the government and councils only spend around £7b of the £35b+ the recover in revenue, the rest goes into the government coffers for other projects.

Unfortunately pricing big cars off the road is not sustainable because those real enthusuast will never give them up no matter how much it costs for used ones and Companies pay for new ones and they simply write it off against tax as an expense.

Also bear in mind this can only go on for so long because of 2 indisputable facts:

1: Cars over 40 years old are currently classed as historic vehicles and so road tax exempt, so early Range Rovers already qualify and the list is getting longer every day so that source of revenue will self extinguish. (how long this remains the case who knows).

2. The Governement are not going to accept the ensuing annual decline in revenue from fossil fueled vehicles as people move to greener cars, the EV folks need to realise that road tax for EVs is coming, and it's coming big time. You only have to look at the example in Paris where car tax is being based on vehicle weight and size, and EV batteries are heavy, very heavy.

I think in 5 years time we'll have a completely new vehicle tax structure, probably based on weight, size and use of each vehicle and where you use it and when, based on tracking systems that already exist in newer cars, they only need to be linked to some form of real time tracking and billing system.

So I'm holding on to my big car, knowing and expecting it to become more expensive each year to run but I doubt fuel will become much more expensive in real terms as the oil cartels will seek to maintain their productivity and prices will fall to encourage demand.

I will of course buy an zero emmisions vehicle of some sort, probably not an EV, but alternative fuel powered one for sure as my daily driver when usage and tracking comes into force.

Based on how road pricing comes into effect and as the EV market is already established and expected to be dominant by 2030 think it may actually be cheaper to own a fossil fueled car as long as you don't use it in cities and hold on to it for long enough. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #689784 2nd Apr 2024 10:17pm
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Similar to above comment, Irish road tax does not go back into road maintenance or road building, it goes to central government. Its the same situation with tax on fuel. Ive always liked the idea if you use the roads a lot you pay more tax and that tax is targeted. I would prefer a tax on Fuel and to abolish road tax altogether.

I find it quite frustrating that my main hobby in life is cars and metalwork and to own several cars in Ireland you have to have several policies, have them all taxed and tested (some insurers only) even if they sit in a garage 300 days of the year. You can buy a bmw car here, do 50k a year and pay €200 in road tax, you can then buy a RR do 2k a year and pay €2400. The BMW will do more wear and tear but as I said in a previous post, we have a green party and they love the UKs idea of congestion charges so it wont be long before we will be taxed out of existence. Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #689796 3rd Apr 2024 8:08am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

What AJ? Have you checked the weight of those EV,s? Another tax rise then. Censored overfinch modified

Post #689817 3rd Apr 2024 4:32pm
AndyRoo

Tesla Model S is apparently 2162kg, a model x is 2430kg, a typical RR L322 is about 2485 kg L460 is 2430 to 2708 kg kerb weights.

So a tesla Model X is comparable to an L460. Other EVs I can't say, but about 30-40% heavier than their petrol equivalents seems to be the rule of thumb Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #689818 3rd Apr 2024 4:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>