Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Water ingress into rear compartment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mercs600

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Water ingress into rear compartment

Hi - I know this has been covered before but I have used the search function and read all the answers but it unfortunately doesn't provide me with an answer !
Driving to work the other week listening to the radio when it suddenly lost sound which then came on and off intermittantly - even going home after work.
On opening the boot and looking at all the amps etc inside I found it totally covered in water !!! Shocked Anyway I dried it all out and removed and stripped the amp down to board level and cleaned all the green verdigris of the transistors and bord connectors and upon assembly all now works as it should again (also all the connectors were starting to corrode as well so I cleaned these up also).Covered the lot in various plastic shopping bags to prevent it doing the same again.Yesterday whilst at work there was as everyone knows alot of rain over the UK and upon checking found the bags covered inwater - not on the amps this time though Whistle When I am parked at home I am on a slight nose down incline and do not get any water in the car so I am assuming that because at work it is parked level it is the rear sunroof drains that are blocked - so.... does anyone know how to go about unblocking and cleaning them ? The seal around the boot area looks fine but I would also like to remove the top spoiler brake light cover so would welcome suggestions on how to remove this also Wink
Keeping my fingers crossed that someone has the solution Wink

Post #76013 13th Aug 2011 5:48am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I would try to use microcat or the RAVE document for it to find their exit points.

then 1 at a time use some compressed air to blow the dirt back up them and unclog them.

Also IIRC there is a modification for this which is a big plastic sheet.

Best to get some thicker plastic though like the stuff used in small pond construction and cut it to size and ensure that area of the boot can drain out as well(though remember this when it comes to wading when it floods!)

Post #76014 13th Aug 2011 5:57am
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

If you search through for rear wiper motor repair you will find a guide to remove the rear spoiler

Steve 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #76034 13th Aug 2011 10:28am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I think the last thing you want to do in a car is cover electronic bits in plastic bags or sheeting. You will just make the problem of corrosion worse thro condensation.
Better to find the leak in the first place and solve the problem however difficult.

Post #76067 13th Aug 2011 1:54pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Ahh but nicedayforit they are meant to leak somewhat according to LR as their own update on the issue is effectively a £7 plastic bag!!!

Post #76104 13th Aug 2011 8:39pm
sportin

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hi..
There is a TSB for rear load space water ingress. It illistrates all of the likely areas of ingress. I have the doc in PDF, but I can't seem to post it. Here is the TSB number, maybe you will have some luck on a web search.

Rear Load Space Water Ingress No: 76/16/03/NAS
Ref:
Issue: 1
Date: 06/27/03

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
New Range Rover (LM) All
SITUATION:
SEALING FAULTS PERMIT WATER ENTRY PATHS
Inconsistent manufacturing sealing processes can permit water to enter the vehicle during inclement
weather from a variety of potential ingress areas.
RESOLUTION:
IDENTIFY LEAK PATHS AND SEAL
When a customer complaint of water ingress into the passenger area is confirmed, identify the likely
point of ingress based on testing, water accumulation and likely migration paths and perform the
indicated operation in this TIB to resolve the problem. Some leak areas identified in this TIB may have
had sealant applied during post-production inspections.[/img] 2006 RR 4.4 HSE
2008 Audi A6

Post #76191 14th Aug 2011 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1