Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Theo_Pental

United Kingdom 
Go On - Scare Me :)

Hi

I actually do need 4x4 for my new family car

Honest Smile

Id been thinking of a RR Sport but I just cant ignore how bargain-tastic 12-18 month 'real' Rangies are

Im looking at TDV8 Vogue/Vogue SE's

I can stomach the fuel and tax costs but as Im not in a position to write ££££ off against tax I need it to be relatively reliable
My next car must last 6-10 years before I bin it
Id say approx 100k miles

So what will a RR cost me in service costs?
Id expect more than a eurobox saloon but if its going to be totally stupid I may reconsider
Are there any reliability issues I need to know about

Basically would you keep a Rangie TDV8 for 100,000 miles if you had to pay for its mechanical upkeep yourself and not write it off against your business?

Cheers guys

Theo

Post #762 12th Aug 2008 11:02pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've got the TD6 and am keeping it up to 100K. I pay for it myself.

Once the car is out of warranty you can be less fussy about having it serviced at the main dealer, though it pays to ring a bunch of them for quotes as they can really drop their pants if they want.

I'm about to have a 70k service done on mine and its costing me £165 all in from a non dealer garage who use genuine parts. They're also changing my brake fluid while they're at it into the price.

I get on average 24mpg and you'll see about the same on a TDV8, maybe less if you use the great power it has all the time. If you bank on 21 mpg you'll be in the right bracket.

I would definitely keep a TDV8 for that long. The main niggles on previous model years was the front driveshafts but they sorted that and won't affect the TDV8. A RR can have niggles like any car. It's luck really.

Runing costs likes brakes tyres, discs etc are not sky high, shop around. I recently renewed my front discs and all the brake pads for £100. Bought the parts online and got a local garage to fit, takes an hour max, or, do it yourself if you have the jacks, stands and time. eBay is a great place to find parts.

Main dealer servicing is not as scary as you might think, I had a RR Sport Supercharged and my servicing was about £300 each time. My last main dealer service on the TD6 was about the same. Just be savvy and don't fall for the "oh your brake pads are 75% worn and your wiper blades need rpelacing and your tyres are a bit low".

They'll charge the earth for these things but if and when they need doing, find them cheaper elsewhere.

You'll never regret it when you're driving around in one, they're awesome and have SO much presence on the road. When mine is at 100k I'll be looking for a TDV8.

Good luck! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #769 13th Aug 2008 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1