Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Sod's Law
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewT

New Zealand 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
Sod's Law

I spent the best part of a day cleaning the RR. By cleaning I mean proper cleaning as it's being shipped to New Zealand and to pass Biosecurity it needs to be spotless. No mud, no dirt, no hairs, no bits of plants. They are terrified of seeds ar insects getting in and upsetting the ecosystem which is fair enough but makes for a fair bit of work.

Anyway, I got the car looking like this. It's up in offroad height as I spent an hour or so crawling around underneath with a pressure washer, brush and cloth.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then drove it to the docks, parked up and as I got out this happened:

Click image to enlarge

And not just there. On the windscreen, roof and bonnet. It must have been a whole flock of the Censored all letting go at once.

The car is now somewhere near the Panama canal. The sooner it gets here the better as my rental Nissan Pulsar doesn't quite cut it.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #87824 18th Oct 2011 8:14am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Are you moving to NZ or just the car ? I ask because we are moving to Perth WA in about 18 months and are probably going to take are cars as well , it some howe seems easier than selling and then buying again and I like to hear your thoughts on the process . Different countries I know but their must be similarities . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #87826 18th Oct 2011 8:47am
LostInSpace

New Zealand 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Looking very nice, well until the birds decorated! Prep'd mine for winter a couple of weeks ago, they're a big car and you know it's not a 5 min job.

Are you immigrating or returning home to NZ? Best of luck rather way and a good time to be there. 2006 Supercharged
1990 Porsche 928 GT

Post #87831 18th Oct 2011 9:38am
AndrewT

I'm already in Auckland on a permanent emigration. Just got a bit fed up with the UK and fancied a change.

The process for getting a car out of the UK is very easy - it's getting it into NZ or Australia that is difficult. I chose to do it as the number of FFRR for sale out here is low so the choice is small and the price very high.

Be careful what model year you have as at the moment Euro3 is the minimum requirement for imports into NZ but from December it will be Euro4 so mine just makes it in time. I think that Australia is a bit stricter so may already be on Euro4. God knows why as you should see the state of some of the cars on the road out here.

The import process is a bit of a headache as you need to prove ownership for more than a year to avoid import duty then it has the biosecurity checks then a very invasive mechanical inspection where they pull it apart to check for accident damage, rust etc. Then you need to add the cost of first time registration, shipping and insurance.

Fortunately I have a mate who does a lot of work in the shipping industry so I got freight at cost and I work for a company that does vehicle import and inspections so get a reduced rate there too. If it wasn't for those savings then it would have been a close call as to whether I bothered to do it although I still think I would due to the lack of choice on the used market here.

Post #87834 18th Oct 2011 10:40am
AndrewT

I forgot to mention, if you are planning on taking a "normal" car as well (family hatchback/saloon etc) then definitely don't bother as there are enough cheap Fords, Holdens and Japanese imports knocking around that it just isn't worth it.

The other thing is if it's a diesel that you have then don't bother. No one drives diesels as they cost more to run, no one knows how to fix them and petrol is really cheap. Buying a big petrol V8 in the UK is cheap as no one wants them but they are preferred out here. Diesels are expensive in the UK as everyone wants them but here no one does so they are cheap.

Petrol about £1.05 a litre now. Not really cheap but I'm sure it's much less in Oz.

Post #87836 18th Oct 2011 10:46am
ukrangie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Good luck with the move guys. Paul

Twitter - Facebook

Post #87842 18th Oct 2011 12:22pm
darrenmax

Belgium 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

hope its not on the RENA
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/environment/news...d=10760106 2002 td6 vogue, 06 supercharged facelift

Post #87874 18th Oct 2011 5:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1