Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TURBO FAILURE TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pyramid1235

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
TURBO FAILURE TD6

My turbo failed on my TD6 it took about 3 months to fail completely started off with a low whistling noise when the engine was warm did not happen when the engine was cold and only on acceleration upto 3000rpm.

I had it looked at and was told it was my Electronic Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR valve) passing slightly, i read up on the EGR valve and it seemed logical as this only operates once the engine is warm allowing cooler gases to pass back into the inlet manifold under normal driving but when you put your foot down the valve is shut by the force of compessed air (boost) from the intercooler which passes thru the EGR

So i took the EGR off and cleaned out all the hard deposits and a small amount of thick black oil - fault was still the same so i thought must be broke bought a new one and fitted £132 fault still the same Big Cry

The noise got gradually worse over the next 6-7 weeks with no noticeable loss in power and the noise still went away on hard acceleration....

Then the noise started when the RR was cold and did not go away on acceleration and the first sign of blue smoke started which got much worse over 2 days to the point were people reversed away from me at the lights power dropped off noise got terrible..

Turbo had failed got a new one and fitted myself it for a total cost of £800 this included air filter oil filter oil and what im told is the most important thing the CRANKCASE BREATHER FILTER this i have been told is crucial and possibly the cause of my turbo failure and is not included on the RR service schedule? it cost £22+vat and took about 20 mins to change its located on the top left of the engine i will try to attach pic [/img]

Post #12322 3rd Feb 2010 12:51pm
pyramid1235

My attempt to attach pic failed!! cant remember how to had if someone can post instructions for me i will post a pic of where the crankcase breather filter is....

Post #12323 3rd Feb 2010 12:54pm
JOKER

Scotland 

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic1022.html

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic1023.html ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #12324 3rd Feb 2010 12:59pm
pyramid1235

Thanks Mick Very Happy The crankcase breather filter is located under the shiny black cover towards the back of the engine in line with the oil filler you have to remove the top plastic engine cover and the sound proofing to get to it..

Post #12326 3rd Feb 2010 1:10pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

from what you say it sounds like it was the turbo. Has replcing the turbo rectified the fault ? and also i replace that breather in mine each service and it gets proper thick with crud but how does that contribute to the turbo failure ? onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #12350 3rd Feb 2010 7:06pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Did the noise sound like blowing in a bottle? I sometimes have such a noise between 1500-2000RPM and it goes away when accelerating. I too changed the valve breather filter (http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post8223.html#8223) but I can't see how it would lead to turbo failure...

Post #12355 3rd Feb 2010 8:34pm
pyramid1235

replacing the turbo has rectified the fault everything running as it should be no more strange noises... I'm not sure why the filter is so important just what i was told when purchasing the turbo, the chap really seemed to know what he was talking about explaining how the system should work etc., but did not mean a lot to me sounded very technical!

Post #12363 3rd Feb 2010 11:49pm
pyramid1235

Yes, the noise started off sounding like blowing in a bottle, hope you dont have the same problem..

Post #12365 3rd Feb 2010 11:55pm
Joe90

England 

My saviour!

After a routine oil service I developed excessive crankcase pressure, which was blowing out the oil dipstick and covering everything with oil. Been searching for the breather filter and this shows me where it is. New filter on order so will report back if this fixes my problem and saves the turbo!

For info, no change in performance (so not a blow by problem - I hope!) but oil all over the back of the car and a lovely little puddle wherever I stopped.

Last edited by Joe90 on 29th Apr 2010 3:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #17623 29th Apr 2010 11:14am
jope

Norway 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

what happens if the breather filter gets clogged, this will increase the pressure on the engine and you can then see blue smoke from the exhaust. driving with clogged breather filter will cause in turbo failure.
Also be aware that the breather filter can be damageed with weather changes. If it get moistures in the breather filter and then freezing the filter can be broken and also result in oil been let through and faulty pressure.

Post #17624 29th Apr 2010 11:53am
Joe90

England 
TD6 FFRR 2002 L322 Excessive Crankcase Pressure

Good news

[Excessive crankcase pressure - symptoms of dipstick pushed out, oil spurting from dipstick, oil under engine when parked, oil droplets on back of car, some blue smoke on acceleration, loud chuffing sound with engine running and oil filler cap removed]

Fitting the new filter/valve assembly has cured my problem so back on the road! Was starting to suffer from FFRR withdrawal symptoms after four days (Is that normal?)

Went for fitting the whole unit as it seemed that with such a sudden change from working to not working (excessive crankcase pressure, dipstick blown out, oil everywhere) it was unlikely that the filter had just got a little dirtier, but that the valve had got stuck/packed up. Parts sourced from Steve Gott Landrovers for @ £40.

The old filter itself was an ugly fat black thing, about twice the thickness of the new one (http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post8223.html#8223) and looked to have had a hard life. Not documented for change or service on the RAVE cd but BMW owners do have this noted for servicing. Not sure why this could happen straight after an oil service, oil was last changed @ 6000 miles ago, so not all that dirty/old.

Anyway, hope this all helps Very Happy .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #17719 1st May 2010 10:56am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Ok. I have the whistle. I have researched this though and been assured this is normal as this also features on many X5's and BMW unitis to though I still need to be completely convinced. I am sufficently at one with the idea until the Turbo dies Rolling Eyes

Turbo techniques recently quoted me just over £400 for my unit to be reconditioned. I toyed with doing this my self but understand the injectors, inlet manifold then air box need to come off before you can access the turbo to work on it.

I have just had the RR in the shop for 5x injectors removal and overhaul and new nozzles. Again I would have done this myself but the Injectors can get stuck in to the head and a removal tool is required to get them out with some horror stories of 2.5 hours labour per Injector! As it happened my injectors came out as good as gold Evil or Very Mad HOWEVER the injectors do need to be programmed for the correct EU settings of which I understand there are two... I wouldn't like to run injectors with differing programs / settings. The overhauled Injectors including nozzles were £130 each... less than half the new price and with 12 months Warantee.

Now, the observant of you will be wondering why only 5x injectors... one was new last summer in France having slowly died on our trip across europe.. and this is the reason I reconditioned the other 5 including new nozzles. The reconditioning was performed by Dales at Stoke on Trent and the labour by Landranger Service in Stoke on Trent.

I just thought I would share this as hopefully the reconditoned turbo may save some just over £300 at the cost of a couple of days having their FFRR off road. I have been very impressed with Tubro Techniques in the past, I have no links other than a satisfied customer.

I think the Garrat Turbo is around £740 new which is the same as the Landrover one (less the oval on the castings no doubt) at £1400 new.

Those of you rich folk will no doubt wonder why I mess around for the sake of £300 should the unit fail.. but its exactly the reason I could afford to by a FFRR in the first place.. cos I can be tighter than a ducks ass Thumbs Up

Intrestingly the filter was replaced during my last LR service, I checked the invoice and it is listed. I also had it changed again (within 8 months) when I had the Injectors sorted.

Post #17725 1st May 2010 3:35pm
Captain Slog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I've had TWO replacement Turbo's on my 2005 TD6. The first when I purchased it. It had done 25,000 miles and was making a noise that sounded like I was being chased by the cops, a rising and falling siren sound between 2000 and 4000 rpm. The stealership swapped out the Turbo before I handed over the cash.

The second one I had to have replaced. At the moment I live in Greece and at around 75,000 miles I started to hear the dreaded 'siren' again. My local Land Rover stealership wanted €2000 for the Turbo + fitting.

They agreed on a fitting charge only if I purchased a Turbo myself which I did from Garret which cost me €1000 including delivery to Greece, It cost a further €700 to fit which included a couple of filters.

I retained the replaced Turbo which I intend to have refurbished on my return to the UK.

I have pictures of the stripped Turbo which I can post if anyone is interested.

Post #22459 16th Jul 2010 8:27am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

the blowing in a bottle sound / woosh on the over-run (this is the wastegates) and whistle is normal, all the TD6's I have driven did this - even brand new ones.

Post #22471 16th Jul 2010 10:14am
frikkadel

South Africa 

I have this whistling on boost and was told that my turbo is overboosting. How is that possible if the wastegate is working?

Post #399895 10th Aug 2016 8:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>