Home > Technical (L322) > Signs of imminent air spring failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paneldamage

United Kingdom 
Signs of imminent air spring failure

Hi All
Thought it worth mentioning the following, for forum members to keep in mind for future reference: over the past week or so, I have had some strange errors affect the car - for instance, when setting off from a standstill, the car would wheel spin slightly on the front end if I was heavy on the throttle. Also, going through roundabouts , DSC cut in a few times for no reason. I was worried that there was an intermittent ABS fault or diff problem, and vowed to have a look at the weekend. However, on Thursday evening, the front left air spring let go with a bang, and we limped home on the stops.
A pair of new front struts later, and we are back in business and the odd errors/ handling are gone. Looking back, I can see how a failing bag could give the signs, as it would not be applying the correct amount of support etc. Interestingly, there were no obvious signs of a leak etc from the EAS, eg compressor running too often, or any faults thrown on the information centre. Even after the total bag failure and a three mile ride home on the stops, the EAS did not throw a hard or soft fault.

I am not going to write up about changing the struts, there's plenty about this topic on here already, but would mention that it was a lovely straightforward job taking about an hour per side, (bar time out for cups of tea, etc!!)Made easier by the excellent info available via this great forum

Definitely worth mentioning tho- the new struts have improved the driving 'feel' of the car for certain. I guess it's actually the new dampers that make it feel better, maybe combined with less give in the new bags. Even the missus noted that it feels lots better, and we both agree the car is quieter. Well worth the £600.....

Post #195842 23rd Jun 2013 11:59pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I hope I never need it, but I appreciate the info. Now I know what to look out for. Bow down

Post #195845 24th Jun 2013 12:33am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Paneldamage those are very similar symptoms to what happened on my car but I didn't have any warning lights so I thought I had done the front diff. I have never heard my suspension compressor running though. And my car did not collapse for a while after showing initial symptoms.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #195866 24th Jun 2013 8:47am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just a quick note to remember also. If you have these symptoms, simply try to go to off road height and if you have a developing hole then almost all the time the car will not achieve off road height... There will be your answer...

Thumbs Up

Post #195867 24th Jun 2013 8:59am
Cliffbase

Different symptoms..

Morning Gents,

I was towing a horse trailer at the weekend, and whilst driving with it, heard a beeping from the dash - but no info on the screen, it stopped as soon as it started.

Later on (without horse trailer) it happened again with the warning displayed "Suspension fault Max 30mph"
I may be being paranoid but at low speed it feels like its pulling to the n/s too.

I haven't had a look at it or tried raising to off road height etc but was doing a search and saw your post, I wondered if my issue may be the same thing?

Any ideas before I begin?

Post #196068 25th Jun 2013 7:21am
Cliffbase

Research offers a possible solution of modified compressor exhaust?

Any thoughts??

Post #196175 25th Jun 2013 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1