Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Trying my first FF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RogDen

United Kingdom 
Trying my first FF

I have been looking around for a little while, but haven't tried any yet as i haven't been able to settle on budget which i have now and more importantly convince SWMBO that we need a FF.
So Saturday going to give this http://www.topmarques.co.uk/classified/advert/201401060831742/ a test.
Others similar to what i would like are http://www.topmarques.co.uk/search/fuel-ty...land_rover but i would rather not travel to far

My Budget is only 10k of which 1/2 will be from trade in of my Honda and also have to cover tax etc , which means I am stuck to dealer cars although I think there are nicer cars available privately Roger

The lunatic is in my head,
You locked the door, threw away the key
Theres Someone in my Head, its not Me.

Post #235260 16th Jan 2014 12:04pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

have you looked in our 'for sale' section..

Post #235262 16th Jan 2014 12:06pm
RogDen

United Kingdom 

Yes I have, the green one looks nice, I have preference for Black and its a bit far away from me as well.
But as I said I have to rely on trading my Honda in as that is half my Budget. I did look at "we buy any car" but their values are a bit low. Roger

Post #235266 16th Jan 2014 12:28pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Have you tried to sell it privately? It might be worth your while doing a quick advert. I think you might get a fright at trade in values just now. Good luck with getting a FFRR. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #235270 16th Jan 2014 1:01pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Welcome. If you take time and effort to clean, prepare and advertise your Honda for private sale at a realistic price, for example on AT, you might find that you will sell it quickly, for more than you would 'get' on a trade in and then be in a stronger position to negotiate a straightforward purchase price on the car you want, either pivately or from the trade and you have a better chance of buying a car privately with a good chunk of road fund licence left on it, although some dealers do from time to time sell cars that still have remaining RFL on the car.

Post #235271 16th Jan 2014 1:06pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Don't keep looking local, there are loads out there.

If your in sumerset these guys are not far from you http://www.ashtons.uk.com/ , I travelled 200miles for the right FF I wanted.

Good luck and welcome Thumbs Up If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Last edited by Welshdragon on 16th Jan 2014 1:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #235273 16th Jan 2014 1:15pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

From personal experience with a 2003 (52) plate V8, which we have owned for 3 years and has now only got 100K miles on (89,000 when purchased), on a car of that age I would budget on at least another £8000 to spend on repairs! Ours had a Full Service History when we paid £11,500 including a p/x with our P38 4.6, 3 months after purchasing the gearbox had a fault (under warranty) but then 12 months after that we had to have the gearbox rebuilt (£3500), then Radiator, Oil Cooler, fuel pump, compressor, alternator, several batteries, suspension bushes, airbags....

To date we have spent around £18,000 in keeping it on the road! Its at the point now where we might as well keep it as its basically a new car mechanically!!

If I was you I wouldnt look at any of the BMW engined cars, got for as late a model as you can and go for the Jag powered cars.

Post #235274 16th Jan 2014 1:16pm
rich89

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Somebody is looking at a 10 year old range rover for >£10k and you're telling them to budget nearly the same again? Madness.

I can see your point but somebody buying that age car won't have £18k otherwise they would just buy a much newer one to start with.

Post #235286 16th Jan 2014 1:57pm
RogDen

United Kingdom 

^^^^ very true if I had 18k I would get the 55 plate SC with 69000 miles that's just down the road from where I live.
My preference is for a jag engined RR but my budget won't allow that at least until my mortgage is paid....

Maybe I wait for another year or so but like a spoilt little kid I want one now....lol Roger

Post #235298 16th Jan 2014 2:52pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

rich89 wrote:
Somebody is looking at a 10 year old range rover for >£10k and you're telling them to budget nearly the same again? Madness.

I can see your point but somebody buying that age car won't have £18k otherwise they would just buy a much newer one to start with.

My point was that if we had waited and got a newer RR (when we bought it was 7 years old) we now probably would not have had to spend coming up for £18k on servicing costs (its first service with us cost over 2 grand as the car had not been serviced properly for 2 years beforehand - even though the book had been stamped up - but not by a LR dealer) and replacement of so many parts!

By all means buy a 10 year old car for <£10k, but dont be surprised if you start getting major repair costs!!

Post #235306 16th Jan 2014 3:13pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

On the other hand I have just bought an 07 s/c for 14k with 88k on the clock with landrover extended warranty put it in for a service straight away 500 quid for fluid change no other faults found so my point is there are good ones out there too

Post #235315 16th Jan 2014 4:00pm
rich89

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I agree, just because you can buy them cheap, doesn't mean they are cheap to maintain.

Also, just to add. My current FFRR is a 2002 4.4 vogue with 102,000 miles with full LR service history, 3 previous owners and apart from needing a DVD module its spot on. I paid £5750 for it so there are some good cheap cars available.

Just search everywhere and don't be afraid to haggle.

Post #235320 16th Jan 2014 4:14pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

From what I gather most of the maintenance can be diy I have run range rovers for 10 years and in my experience if you keep on top of the maintenance you significantly reduce your running costs also remember you are buying a 190 yr old motor so expect bits to wear out just be ready to replace them asap as skimping will cost more in the long run

Post #235324 16th Jan 2014 4:33pm
steptoe

England 

Another view.
I've a 2002 V8, 109k miles owned 2 years and my total parts running costs (not including service parts, i do all my own servicing) and problems are one small section of hose, land rover Part number JHC000081. Cost £7.31 .

Post #235424 16th Jan 2014 11:00pm
RogDen

United Kingdom 

Well i travelled down had a look at http://www.topmarques.co.uk/classified/advert/201401060831742/ had a sit in it, there was no parcel cover, "you can get one on ebay for £80". there was a few little bubbles in the paint on the drivers door frame, the tyres were well worn, they didn't even know it had tow bar and they didn't seem to keen on a test drive unless i was committing to buying it.
So i left it, although i had pretty well made my mind up not to buy before i got there.

I see there are a lot of threads about GB issues, is it the early 5sp or later 6sp that has the problems or common to both? Roger

Post #235724 18th Jan 2014 8:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>