Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New cost effective 20" tyre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I do a lot of miles but I stick to pirelli on the ff or Goodyear for offroad.

For the citroen slug it gets Pirelli snow at the front and Michelin at the rear Smile they last about 15-20k normally for me so all good! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #264399 10th Jun 2014 11:36am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

stan wrote:
i suspect dom's problem was due to two different makes on each axle...

Stan, I had Contis all round. 4mm rear and 3mm front. Car handled and braked fine.

Now has new Nexens on the front and the 4mm Contis on the back. Understeers in the wet and the ABS comes in under medium braking. I hate to think what it would be like with Nexens all round. Probably slide around like a turd in a pi55p0t.

Probably fine on a lot of cars. Definitely not fine on a FFRR in my opinion. They'll be coming off very soon.

Post #264400 10th Jun 2014 11:38am
Muttley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

La La La La , not letting it get in my head Rolling with laughter Current : 4.2 S/C, now Sold Sad
Previous : V70 Volvo, S40 Volvo ( a very reliable old banger ), E39 M5, Carlton Diplomat and the list goes on Smile

Life Sucks but ya just have to do the best you can with what you have !

Post #264401 10th Jun 2014 11:47am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Trommel wrote:
When these budget manufacturers start being able to make products which meet high OEM standards for the right price, they become OEM suppliers (hence the possibility of your brand new S Class turning up with a set of Hankooks).

Until then I'll spend my money on something with more of a chance of being decent, because meaningful objective assessment is pretty much impossible for the end user.

There's a lot to be said for that, and the logic is pretty hard to fault - however...OEM's don't always get it right - e.g. Ford/Firestone. I know with my VX220 the OEM Bridgestones are now seriously out of date and there are much better tyres out there - many from brands that haven't been OEM.

Regarding forum reviews, yes, they're mostly subjective, very little objective, and limit testing just impossible. Are they valid? Well, as a forum we know the Conti's wear badly but beyond feedback like that probably not. On the VX220 forum there's been a lot of track testing of road tyres and I'd say the cumulative knowledge on tyres is pretty good.

I do read those kind of tyre reviews, and I also read as much as I can empirical tyre reviews when they're published. I realise this data is also of limited scientific value because they don't go beyond grip and control.

I do look at the company making the tyre, what is their reputation, etc. In the case of Atturo, they're quite a new company (2009) but their tyres are made by Federal who do have a good reputation, and Atturo themselves are acquiring a good reputation.

Anyway, far more dangerous than fitting non-oem tyres for a reputable manufacture is fitting vastly non-standard tyre sizes, or even worse, tyres with an inadequate weight rating.

What would be really good is more testing and transparency on data, in a similar way to cars, then consumers could really make an informed decision based on data rather than marketing budget.

Post #264402 10th Jun 2014 11:53am
KurtVerbose

kingpleb wrote:
For the citroen slug it gets Pirelli snow at the front and Michelin at the rear Smile

Seriously Will, mixing winter and summer tyres is really dangerous. Are you really doing that?

Post #264403 10th Jun 2014 11:56am
Muttley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Just got a quote from my tyre guy , £934.00 for 4 Michelin Diamaris fitted, Censored seriously Question

And if I get the car 4 wheel alignment will be near £1,1000 Big Cry Big Cry

If I lived in the world of big money I would do it in a heartbeat but I live in scumsville on benefits Whistle

And I am sure that some will be thinking what is a guy on benefits doing driving a FF , well my one chance in life of having the car I have always dreamed of having Thumbs Up

Cheers
Dave Current : 4.2 S/C, now Sold Sad
Previous : V70 Volvo, S40 Volvo ( a very reliable old banger ), E39 M5, Carlton Diplomat and the list goes on Smile

Life Sucks but ya just have to do the best you can with what you have !

Post #264406 10th Jun 2014 12:12pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Trommel wrote:
but Ron down the road couldn't tell the difference if the local fitters had stuck a set of remould wheelbarrow tyres on, as long as they fit his pot-metal Overfinch replicas well enough to pass an MOT

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

KurtVerbose wrote:
kingpleb wrote:
For the citroen slug it gets Pirelli snow at the front and Michelin at the rear Smile

Seriously Will, mixing winter and summer tyres is really dangerous. Are you really doing that?

Shocked I would never mix tyres at all - they behave differnently and upset the balance of the car - what makes it worse is that the behaviour is not consistent in different conditions, so one tyre might handle better in the wet, so your car behaves differently in different conditions

Mixing winter and summer tyres is plain dangerous - no tyre fitter worth his salt should ever let that happen

Post #264410 10th Jun 2014 12:28pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had a real hard look around at various tyre options and have Contis for the summer and Pirrelli Snow and Ice for the winters summers on 20 in s/c wheels winters on 19 in genuine LR wheels might compromise on some things but wheels and tyres never do too many miles and drive too hard to take that gamble. But each to their own

Post #264413 10th Jun 2014 12:43pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

When I got my FF, it was on 'bling' 22" aftermarket alloys, can't remember the make of the tyres, but the handling and ride were not good. Big Cry

As a result of the previous owner failing to supply the key for the locking wheel nuts, the supplying dealer replaced the wheels with 20" genuine Range Rover ones, ride improved, Thumbs Up but the tyres were borderline illegal. Big Cry

So, bit the bullet, and fitted a set of Pirelli Scorpions (255/50R20 109Y's) - excellent tyres, have driven 7 - 8K on them now and they have never come close to losing grip at any time on any surface in any conditions (all on road driving BTW). Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Tyres will always be a subjective thing, but IMHO why have a very expensive (both to buy and run) high performance vehicle, and then want to skimp and save on the few square inches of rubber in contact with the road which are quite literally your lifeline? Question 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #264447 10th Jun 2014 3:26pm
kingpleb

Yip,

Winter up front normals at the back as they are going to get replaced more than likely before the summer is out due to age more than anything so will be replaced with winters anyway.

Handling actually feels quite balanced and under-steers a bit less than standard. TBH it should over-steer in poor conditions but the car doesn't. It has a 2.5td engine up front that i bet isn't far off 500kg+ so has enough force pushing the tyres into the ground Very Happy

They were only £20 a tyre and taken off a car that had a rear end shunt. the back two were stuffed so they have been fronts all their life anyway Smile
Its not high performance either so the most pushing it gets is 40mph round a long sweeping motorway junction Very Happy

And the next car in my collection looks likely to be a supercar eater Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264460 10th Jun 2014 4:30pm
KurtVerbose

video.... Whistle

Post #264462 10th Jun 2014 4:42pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I know I am going to stir up some controversy, but I always get my tyres from ebay as used with good tread. For the last 10 years I have always done this and it has enabled me to get 7mm Continentals and Pirelli Scorpion Zeros for about £60-£70 per tyre delivered. Considering they have 8mm when new these tyres have a lot of life to go. All have been between 6 months and 3 years old and I have never had an issue yet. This way I get the best tyres without the hassle of the £300 cost for each.

As to the caution of buying used tyres, when you buy a used car do you change all the tyres or keep the good condition ones on the car. My local garage checks them out before fitting and it means I can rubber up a complete set of style 11s etc for about £250 max including fitting and balancing. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #264463 10th Jun 2014 4:42pm
kingpleb

Ditto flash man, though not always eBay Smile

Last two were the current winters and before that for the ff I got new take off scorp atrs for £100 for the pair? Very Happy

Seen the video and will bare it in mind the next time I come across 2' of snow in Warrington Wink if I still have the same setup. Ideally I know they should be at the rear but should it come to it I feel fine to handle a low speed fish tail should it occur as I wouldn't go anywhere near as quick on snow with this as the video driver... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264465 10th Jun 2014 5:14pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't have an issue buying used tyres, in some ways there safer than buying a car with used tyres as you can more easily see if they have had previous repairs/punctures by looking at the inside of the tyre which can be harder to see on tyres fitted to wheels.

Post #264466 10th Jun 2014 5:17pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

After hearing about the soft sidewalls I ditched the idea of the Nexens. I had Yoko Advan which also had soft sidewalls. Never again.

I'm still on my Vreds. I thought rather than swap them back and risk damage etc I would just wear them out and then get summers on the 20" and buy a separate set of 19" for the next set of Vreds.

As previously said it's a heavy lump with almost 400bhp so I'd rather not have the soft squishy look.

Just my £0.02
Thumbs Up

Post #264504 10th Jun 2014 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>