Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 36 <123 ... 678 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
andefly

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Giverny Green

Hi guys! First post but i really wanted to put it up to help others like you all (especially Haylands) unknowingly have helped me!

Had my RR 2004 Vogue about 3 months and really wanted to change the head unit, visited countless land rover sites all claiming it cannott be done or that it costs £1000 plus to do.

After reading this thread i bought the same head unit as Haylands, fitted it and kept original screen to do clock and AUX heating in the glove box where CD changer was, Run power/speaker cable to rear quarter and plugged it into 40 pin connector from radio unit and had no sound............

Thankfully Haylands had put up on this thread about bypassing the DSP (best thing ever!!) so i followed the wiring and hey presto it all worked! I plan on adding my own AMP in due course but to be honest it sounds good anyway!

So i hope my pics and story help the next person who thinks its hard or cannot be done, It can be done and in about 4 hours all in with no DSP!

Cheers everyone

Ande

Click image to enlarge

Current cars: Range Rover Vogue, Chevrolet G20 DayVan, 1968 Ford Mustang, suzuki Vitara..........

Previous cars: 3 x Discovery ES, Series 3 land rover, 2 x P38 range rover and classic Range Rover

Post #289310 28th Oct 2014 7:55am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well that looks a nice thorough job.

Definately looks the way to go if things go pear shaped with the existing system or you simply want to update.

Thumbs Up

As a side thought, those peeps that have simply plugged the unit into the BM54 radio connector and had no sound, you have also moved the 2 small connectors from within the original connector, and moved them into the new connector, so they still have direct contact with the BM54 ?

If you don't do that, it wont work.

I am thinking about the pic from Hex on page 3 of this thread where you can see the gaps where your existing plugs need to be moved to......

Just a thought.......... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #289330 28th Oct 2014 10:27am
Dave1946

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Im happy to say that Im about done with installing everything.
In the end the amp came out with the rest of the stuff because I could see no way of overcoming the problems of triggering it on, and then of how to control its outputs, bearing in mind that it would be looking for can bus signals from the other units in the system to tell it what to do.
In order to connect up all the speakers I collated the info gleaned from Pete, Mark and Paul, together with what I managed to get myself, and here is the result.

Post #289360 28th Oct 2014 3:13pm
Dave1946

Hopefully it will upload this time!

Post #289362 28th Oct 2014 3:19pm
Dave1946

Third time lucky?

Post #289363 28th Oct 2014 3:22pm
mjdronfield

posted fine now.

Got there in the end, and I'm sure that chart will prove useful to others.

Thumbs Up

Do they only do the one version of it wiring wise then ?

They must have the same issue in the BMW's so you'd have thought they could interface to the existing amps using the correct loom..... Perhaps I'm over thinking the plug and play claims.

Pleased you are all sorted. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #289364 28th Oct 2014 3:24pm
Dave1946

Just some ramblings to give food for thought.
The argument that feeding low frequencies into the tweeters and high ones into the low speakers seems very valid to me, but even so the sound isn't that bad; like Pete I'm no guru on audio!
For those who want the optimine sound would it be possible to use crossovers?
I'd imagine that ten channels would be needed though because the front two corners would each need three and the backs two each.
Ive never had anything to do with them, but I should think that even if available they would be mega money though. How about three - two three channel for fronts and one four channel for the rears? I'm just thinking out loud here. I haven't a clue about how big these things are or what they cost.
A bit more amplification could be an improvement, although its adaquate for my needs. I guess that would be easy to do between the loom wires and speaker wires?
Anyway I'm hoping next to figure out connecting the sub woofer to the head's output.
Dave

Post #289366 28th Oct 2014 3:42pm
mjdronfield

If you are just talking crossovers, you don't need a channel per frequency range, not from the amp, unless you are going active.

There are generally 2 types of crossover / amp setups, Passive and Active. What everyone tends to think of, and is generally how normal house systems and car setups work, is passive. This means that the crossover is built into the speaker. It is on a single channel and is fed full range from the amp. The crossover splits the frequencies 2 ways on a 2 way speaker (like a smaller tweeter and a larger coned mid / low range speaker in a single enclosure) or those aftermarket car speakers in Halfrauds where you can see the tweeter in front of the main speaker cone. Obviously as more individual cones are used within a specific enclosure, the more ranges the sound will be split into by the crossover, for eg 3 way and 4 way speakers etc.

A Crossover consists of electronic components which will need to be powered as they are driven. They will present a load to the amp. Unfortunately, upto 75%, sometimes more, of the power of the amp is taken powering the crossovers, which severely reduces the sound level from the speakers, as you can imagine.

In an Active system, the crossovers are relocated to inside the amp itself, so it can be powered by 12v in a car or 240v in the home, so it presents no load to the amp itself, leaving 100% of the power from the amp to drive the speakers. The sound level is increased massively and is much more open, dynamic and more controlled, as the amp tends to have plenty of power in reserve now. The sound going up the wire to each speaker is speaker specific. Only high frequencies are in the wires going to the tweeter for eg. This is much easier for the amp to manage.

As you had an Active system before, the DSP acted as the crossover and split the frequencies according to the speakers. You now have no crossover and full range goes to all speakers. This will result in frequency overlap where on the edge of the ranges each speaker is designed to handle, another speaker may also reproduce the sound, where before it wouldn't, so you could get a sound from the low range at the same time as the mid range, which will make it sound artificially louder in the car. Also if a speaker tries to reproduce extra frequencies, the sound can become distorted and the load presented to the amp is not consistent.

So .......... you could now have a signal channel from your amp, for eg front left, connected to a crossover (If added later) that then feeds the 3 speakers in the door. 3 distinct channels from the amp itself are not needed.

The problem is that you will have to have an idea of what frequency range each speaker will produce in order to buy / setup the crossover accordingly. Standard 3 way crossovers may be cheaply available and go some way to manage the ranges.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/phonocar-3-way-passive-crossover

Or you could put active crossovers in, but they'd need power from the car.

You'd need two 3 way crossovers for the front doors and two 2 way crossovers for the rear doors.

That said, if you are happy with the sound given out then you can see how you go. If some of your favourite songs sound a bit strange or the amp clips or distorts sometimes, at least you will know why, and can make an educated choice as to whether you want to move further with the project.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #289378 28th Oct 2014 5:07pm
Dave1946

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for asking questions about actually using these head units, although Im sure someone will quickly tell me if not.
I have added a USB extension from one of the two ports on the head unit to a dash mount socket so that I can plug in a memory stick with my music on it.
But when I plugged in my memory stick full of classical music, which is my sort of thing, all that happens is that the unit thinks about it for a bit, comes up with a message 'no LRC file', and then reboots. It will cycle through this endlessly until I remove the memory stick.
I have discovered via Google that an LRC file is a text based type required to enable the words of a song to be displayed in sync with the music, as in a karaoke!
Apart from not wanting that, I'm not sure that Rachmaninoff's second symphony has words!
Do I need to install something, like a music player, or is it just not going to work?
Any help please?

Dave

Post #289781 30th Oct 2014 5:07pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I bought a 32gb mini sd card for the slot on the right, filled it with music files from my itunes and it plays them perfectly... I suggest you try that...

It also plays music from my iphone through the bluetooth function pretty well.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #289793 30th Oct 2014 6:24pm
Dave1946

I was trying to keep the right hand micro disc for the Daily Roads Voyager to use Pete. But if push comes to shove that's what I'll have to do. Surly there must be music player software that will accept MP3 files fed from the USB without any hassel though.

Post #289800 30th Oct 2014 6:35pm
Haylands

I use the other one that the satnav is on, bought a 32gb one for there as well... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #289802 30th Oct 2014 6:36pm
Dave1946

Doesn't it interfere with the sat nav files then?
Do you just let them all sort of 'co-exist' or can you somehow keep them apart?
That does begin to sound like a plan Pete. It makes my preparations of adding the dash USB a bit surplus to requirements it seems.

Post #289808 30th Oct 2014 6:47pm
mjdronfield

You could always create a file for each song, a pain I know, but would work if Petes way is no good for you. It's just a text file that is named same as the song.

Can you not still use the USB you've put in for movies ?

There must be a music player that just works with MP3 files ? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #289811 30th Oct 2014 6:56pm
Haylands

There is a music App on it that just looks in the right hand sd card for music, you can toggle to it with the bottom button (well, not the phone button, the one above) on the steering wheel, it toggles through the radio/video/dvd/music etc etc, the track advance buttons work with it as well...

The other card works fine, my camera thingy created it's own folder and just sticks it's files in there so it doesn't interfere with anything else on the card, and I presume it just uses up the free space on the card until it's full....

I tried the Daily roads voyager but can't configure it (got bored and gave up actually) for my cheap as chips web cam so I'm using the App that was on the unit from the factory.... Pete

Post #289819 30th Oct 2014 7:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 36 <123 ... 678 ... 343536>