Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Gearbox flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Harris

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Gearbox flush

Anyone any experience of Wynn gearbox flush, or any recommendations for a gearbox flush?

Post #282565 23rd Sep 2014 10:37pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Doctor Tranny gets good reviews over on Disco3 but I've never used additives, only clean new fluid on a regular basis. Old burnt and contaminated fluid will accelerate wear of the torque converter and clutches so I tend to drain 4 litres and replace it at each engine service. Seems to keep the stuff in good order.

Post #282586 24th Sep 2014 5:31am
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

@ mzplcg.

I like your idea with the partial replacement each service - thanks for the thought Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I'll get my indie to do this.

One question - how did you arrive at the 4 litres? It sounds like a good volume but just wondered if there was scientific reasoning behind it or just good old common sense.

Thanks for that.

Post #282600 24th Sep 2014 8:02am
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I am also very interested in doing this partial change on my MY03 TD6.

Is it a difficult job to do (I am told that getting oil into the gearbox is a little tricky)

I will check Wiki for type of oil but are any oils favoured by other owners.

Post #282603 24th Sep 2014 8:17am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Chemical flushes like the Wynns one (Which we do stock) must not be left in the Transmisson any longer than specified on the tin as they can strip more out than you want to.

Dr Tranny (also stocked) is used to add life back to old oil and is good at fixing the judder around 2000rpm felt in the ZF 6HP26 transmission, it's a short term fix though, if it helps then change your gear oil and add another into the new oil.

To change the oil fully it is best to flush through from the oil cooler with new oil (difficult on some models) with a pressure machine, the TC will push back the other way, generally it takes about 11 litres for a decent job. Around 7 litres sits in the TC so that will not come out on it's own when draining so the other option of changing a few litres often makes sense.

I have added as much data as I can find about oil specifications and capacities to our service section and we have most types in stock all of the time.

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/service-p...r-50-c.asp Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #282623 24th Sep 2014 11:37am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

RiccartonRR wrote:
@ mzplcg.

I like your idea with the partial replacement each service - thanks for the thought Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I'll get my indie to do this.

One question - how did you arrive at the 4 litres? It sounds like a good volume but just wondered if there was scientific reasoning behind it or just good old common sense.

Thanks for that.

Financial reasons. ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid costs a fortune but 4 litres is about 30% of the total so its enough to keep it fresh without being massively expensive. Thumbs Up

Post #282636 24th Sep 2014 1:17pm
Joe90

England 

4 litres is what comes out when you take out the drain plug. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #282648 24th Sep 2014 3:18pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

imo

you guys are just wasting time and money with partial g/box oil changes

imagine if your service dept asked you 'would you just like a partial engine oil change and we'll leave the filter as well , we'll just drain about 1/3 of the volume and top up with good oil'

waddya think??

Rolling with laughter

just wait until the 80k mark and change the lot (power flush) with a new pan and filter , anything else is pointless

Post #282650 24th Sep 2014 3:43pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I have organised the importation of 2 flushing machines now, both are in regular use over on the Disco 3 Forum, one north of the border and the other in Kent but as neither of these chaps are sponsors on this forum I didn't mention them. Otherwise it is quite difficult to find a flush machine in certain parts of the country but if anyone wants help tracking one down PM me.

You can also make your own kit to do this using something like a garden pressure sprayer. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760

Post #282651 24th Sep 2014 3:51pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

900 miles following a "Mega Flush" I was looking at a new gearbox.

Coincidence? Who will ever know?"

All I do wish is that I had done the standard recommended ATF and filter change instead of listening to the advice on here. 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #282652 24th Sep 2014 3:56pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Sad but I would say a coincidence and I am sure you will find others that are in the same position, often it is just too late for the box to recover, perhaps that is why ZF have issued new recommendations for oil changes rather than sealed for life.

There are plenty of D3 owners that have lined up to have a flush and it has not been carried out because of particular fault codes that are present when read. One particular code is a straight forward "Replace Transmission" according to Land Rover. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760

Post #282655 24th Sep 2014 4:17pm
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

Hi Harris,

I performed a gearbox flush without any additional stuff. It's wiki fied here
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic26491.html

Oh yeah, and done since, 4000 km of which several km's in the Alps. Still changing gears smooth Wink

Post #282664 24th Sep 2014 6:10pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Interestingly when my gearbox was failing landrover warranty insisted on a double flush to see if it would cure the fault - the price at the dealer was just over 800 quid which I had to pay as the warranty said it was maintenance anyway it was the cost that amazed me subsequently the gearbox was replaced and the costs reimbursed but flushing properly is not cheap from memory the fluid is very expensive but the flush and replacement should be done imho

Post #282673 24th Sep 2014 6:57pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Why on earth would anyone want to run complex, expensive, machinery like a gearbox on old oil?
Given the chances are that by 70-80k your torque convertor lock-up clutch friction plate is probably well worn with the particles from it having been absorbed by the transmission oil making the transmission oil more akin to a grinding paste than good quality oil. In addition microscopic particles of aluminium will be in the oil due to the resulting metal to metal contact adding to the problem.
I seriously doubt the gearbox filter is capable of removing either of these particles with the result these particles are quite happily wearing away your gearbox components while you drive. Smile
Changing the transmission oil, or in the case of GM5L40E boxes on TD6's, diluting the existing oil, can do nothing but good.
Bear in mind when "changing" the transmission oil on a TD6 only approx 4L of oil will be drained out of a total capacity of 9.7L giving a "change" of oil of about 40%.
You really do need to "change" the oil at least 3 times to achieve anything like a good final oil quality.
The best solution however is a gearbox flush where all the oil is changed in one go. Thumbs Up

Post #282679 24th Sep 2014 7:22pm
Joe90

England 

^^^

Wot he said Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #282699 24th Sep 2014 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>