Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Looking to buy... Budget?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
MattChaloner

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

I'd imagine if they're willing to give my next 3 years allowance up front they're not likely to get rid of me - will have to ask what the scenario would be if I moved on myself though, wouldn't want to have to repay any allowance I've already been given!

Is there a mileage to look to avoid? I think I read somewhere the td6 gearboxes are prone to go around 80k so would one with 110k and a new gearbox be potentially a better shout than one with, say, 75k and no gearbox replacement/refurbishment done? Gearboxes and engines (removal/replacement) are probably the 2 areas I'd leave to a professional on this car. Having done an engine swap on a BMW and a gearbox on a subaru I can't see the FF being a nice car to do these items on?!

Post #286924 16th Oct 2014 8:32pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

For all of them over 100k if the box feels less than perfect I'd budget a box rebuild. Especially looking at a 2002 age car that fluid is going to be 12yr old!

There are a good few of us with a lot more miles and no issues yet with our boxes but its all down to use imo. Shorter trips are the killer.

I've done 25k roughly in the ff and I wouldn't recommend it as a company use car. Just my 2p but I wouldn't do it, too much risk. What if the box goes pop when you have a boot of shines new servers to install or swap around... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #286928 16th Oct 2014 8:45pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I bought my 2004 4.4V8 last year with 101k on the clock for £7k. It had a full service history and felt tight and in good condition. In the 16 months I've had it I've done 35k as my work vehicle.

I can't say its been cheap to run but as others have said, I have no depreciation or finance costs on it. I don't tend to worry about the fuel costs but it is a high maintenance relationship.

Nothing is particularly cheap, but actually if you have a good mechanic and prepare - buy in parts from Duckworth or Island in advance where possible then it can be done at relatively low cost. I've had the RAC out three times - each time they take the car off and left me with a sparkly new bland NCAP rated euro box. In fact the last time they took the car away and brought it back 4 hours later with the labour paid and just a bill for the parts (water pump gasket failed!). All the preventative stuff also adds up - radiator, gearbox flush, suspension bushes - it all adds up.

All I can say is at this point in my life and career, unexpected car bills aren't a big deal (and I;m not paying urban garage hourly rates) and that makes driving the FF a pleasure, but if I was watching the pennies and having to do the man maths to justify I would look for an other option.

I've wanted a FF for years- having run one now, I doubt I'll ever have anything else, but there are definite periods in my life when I simply wouldn't have been able to afford to run one. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Last edited by nicksaab on 16th Oct 2014 9:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #286937 16th Oct 2014 9:10pm
MattChaloner

Hi Nick, thanks for that

May I ask what level of RAC cover you have which means they'd give a courtesy car etc?!

Post #286939 16th Oct 2014 9:15pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Its called Onward travel I think - you need to add it on top of the standard Recovery. I notice they are now doing a parts and labour cover as well, although as I said the last call out they were looking at a £500+ flatbed from Reading back home to my garage in West Wales - they offered to repair it themselves same day rather than recover it which I was happy to let them do.

I think all the breakdown companies have a similar service - the courtesy car with the RAC comes from Enterprise and so you aren't going to get one at 2am on the M4 - but it is useful having the best cover you can get as then your options are open in the event of the inevitable 'bong'. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #286942 16th Oct 2014 9:20pm
kingpleb

The aa do one similar but it's something like £35 excess and £500 limit on parts iirc
I'm does push the price up a good bit and does depend on th vehicle as well as they ask for the reg but you could possibly get away with putting something like a modern eurobox in as the cover should cover any vehicle your driving or in iirc Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #286946 16th Oct 2014 9:41pm
MattChaloner

Just had a look, would be looking at £20 per month on a 52 plate TD6 with 140k (just plucked one off ebay as an example) sounds like a small price to pay for peace of mind. I currently pay £9 per month through my bank for them to come out, tell me it's broken and not do anything about it as my "level of cover is too low" at which point they ask for £150 upfront to recover me to the nearest garage. I think the extra £11 would be well worth it.

Post #286948 16th Oct 2014 9:53pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I use mine as a daily car for work this year have done 26k I have spent £2200 at main dealer in servicing/repairs which included new heated elements for drivers seat one new tyre (cut sidewall ) replacing a couple of door rubbers and inspection 2 service new front lower ball joints - damaged in floods boots ripped - + new gearbox under warranty the car is in immaculate condition and everything works so in my opinion not too expensive for the miles covered

Post #286950 16th Oct 2014 10:00pm
kingpleb

Not too bad for £240 a year Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #286954 16th Oct 2014 10:12pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

You're probably spanner handy Matt... Still, sound nuggets there from nicksaab for any car really:

A. "... if you have a good mechanic..."
B. "and prepare - buy in parts... in advance where possible"

Sounds daft but via this forum, not only have I learned how to do basics myself but I've also learned that keeping on top of things and self completing or alternately commissioning pre-emptive maintenance work is the common sense way to go. Neglect the L322 at your peril.

All opposite to what I used to do which was turn up at a garage on service/ MOT day and waiting for that 3pm phone call telling me my bill would be significantly more than just a stamp in the book and an MOT certificate.

Best investment an L322 owner can make is to embrace the spirit of this forum. It pays dividends!

Thumbs Up

Post #286959 16th Oct 2014 10:30pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I also have a IID Tool and do my own diagnostics before I put it in to have any work done Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #286966 16th Oct 2014 10:42pm
MattChaloner

Pld I totally agree, however I think that's more the LR way of life in general as opposed to just the FF variant.

I keep seeing the IID mentioned. I'll have a look into that. Sounds like a good investment - I've got a nanocom from our TD5 discoverys but unfortunately can only be used on L322s from 2010 onwards for some reason Sad

Post #286970 16th Oct 2014 10:47pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

IID tool should also be on the essential kit list for owners Matt and new or used there are often good IID deals to be had via this forum. Got ours just a few weeks ago and keep it in the car. It bailed me out with an acceleration power loss glitch one night when the car just died. Instead of being stranded and calling LR assist, perhaps costing me a couple of hours in lost time, I just plugged it in and cleared the fault. Job done in a few minutes... and as you'll probably know, it does so much more as well!

Thumbs Up

Post #286995 17th Oct 2014 2:25am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Matt, welcome. Thumbs Up

What kind of driving would you typically be doing?

You mention the old bugbear of fuel economy early on as your reasoning for buying a Td6. It's a valid argument and a logical one.

But a 4.4V8 needn't cost that much more to run than a Td6.

My old 4.4 would regularly do 21mpg on the motorway, which compares nicely with the diesel alternative, plus you get a lot more power, flexibility and a generally better gearbox.

I'm not saying the 4.4 is better, but I wouldn't be discounting one. Please give it serious consideration. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #287001 17th Oct 2014 7:51am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Matt welcome... Im not a million miles away from you and would be happy showing you around a couple of FF's so you can get a feel of how a "goodun" should feel before you go and start your search sir Thumbs Up

As has been mentioned above "lives too short" not to experience a FF imho...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #287010 17th Oct 2014 8:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>