Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Question to those that replaced ARB due to clunk.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MachineHead

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Mariana Black
Question to those that replaced ARB due to clunk.

I have the lovely clunk noise from the front, only on rough or pothole areas and its not a scary clunk just annoying, normal road it is fine.

The drop links are fine, garage checked them thoroughly, due to suspension loading when you lift them and it being hard to find the clunk other than driving it, was put on a shaker plate and the only thing they can see is slight play in the ARB, one bush has moved slightly and they suspect the clunk is coming from there.

The only worry is at £150 Inc vat just for the new bar, then labour, its a fair sum to find out it wasn't the ARB.

I'm fairly certain all things being equal it is the ARB, it was my first thought when i heard it but those who changed the ARB when they had a clunk did it turn out to be the culprit?

My current plan is to go on a trip to France and back seeing as on road its fine and hopefully the ARB issue may be more obvious on my return. I did have a search but a lot of the posts were talking about replacing the drop links.

Cheers
Craig 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #286585 15th Oct 2014 2:23pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I had exactly the same on my L322 5L SC AB, never heard the clonk on normal roads but when I took dirt tracks (so daily in my case as I take the dirt track to access my home), I always had this clonk in the front suspension.
Problem is dealers think it is perfectly ok as they test the car on normal roads.
Dealer said it is due to the active suspension.
You could only hear it going slowly on rough road.
Apparently L405 has the same problem but mine only does it very occasionally taking a speed bump for instance but not on the dirt track to access my home where it is perfectly quiet (very strange).

Post #286590 15th Oct 2014 2:39pm
MachineHead

Yeah testing a clunk that happens off road on a road is a bit daft. At least the garage I use go the extra mile Smile

Only had the FF since April so no idea what's normal on em yet but pretty sure clunking of that variety shouldn't be. It does sound rattly clunking on rough track. However all is well with the rest so far as garage can see, even on the shaker plate so that at least is comforting Laughing 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #286596 15th Oct 2014 3:02pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Machinehead if you've read my posts you'll probably have worked out that I'm not bad at keeping things shiny and clean but my mechanical enthusiasm outweighs my actual ability! Laughing

I thought that the general informed forum advice was to start smaller and work your way up, the majority suggesting the replacement of the ARB drop links, OE being about £50 parts and a brief period of time to DIY fix... Then escalate if that doesn't cure it?

My reply is based on your post, yes, noting that they feel the drop links are fine, albeit being no more specific than suspecting the - more expensive to replace - drop links to be the cause.

Just my tuppence worth. Nobody was really sure with mine and a few weeks ago I replaced the drop links and the very noise you describe was cured.

Good luck whatever it is Thumbs Up

Post #286600 15th Oct 2014 3:13pm
MachineHead

I hear what you're coming from, my garage are an amazingly honest bunch, they phoned me to say they didn't want to replace the ARB if unsure because although one bush has moved they cannot be 100% certain it is the culprit. They are certain it's not the drop links and that there is no play in them, there is however some play in ARB which makes it the likely suspect. The ball joints and suspension are all fine.

In fact they suggested taking on my France trip because there is nothing serious wrong with it and no clunk on road and checking again on return which under the circumstances I agree with.

The first place they looked was the drop links knowing that more often than not they are the offending cause.

At the end of the day I will replace the ARB at some point seeing as a bush has moved slightly so clearly over time it will move more and get worse, am just curious as to the findings of others with the lovely clunk who may have changed ARB

Thanks for the info, I shall update once I know, although seeing as I'm not off to France till mid Nov and back early dec it will be in a bit. 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #286604 15th Oct 2014 3:38pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Does it happen when you "dab" the brake pedal sharply?

Post #286605 15th Oct 2014 3:43pm
Joe90

England 

The ARB clunk usually sounds like it is coming from the rear.....?

Maybe you have a problem at the rear that sounds like it is coming from the front? (It is a FFRR after all!)

Seriously have garage check all around ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #286621 15th Oct 2014 5:26pm
MachineHead

It doesn't occur when I brake, nor when driving at road speed on the bumpy poor surface roads up here.

Only at low manoeuvring speeds over rough tracks and rutted roads.

Joe you trying to make me more paranoid Laughing yeah they did an all round check on the shaker only thing they found was tiny play in an ARB bush, I said earlier it had moved but I heard wrong the d bush on the ARB hasn't moved there is just a little bit of play between the bush and the bar. Just picked it up and was chatting and definitely not drop links there is no play in them. 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #286652 15th Oct 2014 6:31pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

My 2002 did the same, I changed the drop links as they were old anyway, my ARB bushes looked OK but I bought two new ones anyway in a bid to cure it, I first disconnected the drop links and drove it about and the noise was gone so it can only have been the ARB bushes. Anyway took the saddle clamps off them expecting them to fall out and they are still totally fixed to the ARB and had no wear or perishing on them.... I decided to just put the clamps back and have a rethink and low and behold the clunk has gone, that was several weeks ago now and it has all been quiet!!??!?!??!

Can't really understand it, the saddle clamps were tight before, can only think the clamps were sticking to the bushes a bit and turning them slightly making the noise, thing is it sounded more like someone tapping the underside of the car with a hammer than bushes moving...

Anyway I'm happy for the moment.... get your garage to remove the clamps and refit them, squirt a bit of WD40 or something similar around as I used some to help get the bolts out and this did cover the bushes so may have done something, then have your trip to France... may just save a few quid.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #286676 15th Oct 2014 7:47pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I'd go for the drop links, they are a common source of annoying knocks from the front on a Landcruiser, and a really easy fix. I can't see it being the anti roll bar its self, as there is nothing to go wrong. It is just a bar with 2 holes in it, unless one of the drop links has worked its self loose and elongated the hole. The only other cause would be a failed bush, and that normally is easy to spot, especially if theres a leak of oil / derv. For some reason, beyond me, they only make the bushes out of cheap rubber thats eaten by every substance known to man!
And before some one says we're talkin about a FFRR, I know, but I've only had one for a few months. However I have spent the last 12 years testing landcruisers to destruction, and have covered nearly half a million miles on and off road. And trust me when I say, the Range Rover is the car a Landcruiser trys to be, only it don't quite get there Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #286706 15th Oct 2014 10:22pm
MachineHead

Thinking of having clamp removed and packing the ARB bush that has some movement then re clamping it to see if in the short term it stops it, thereafter replace ARB if it does. Can't even change the bush as the whole ARB is sold as a unit now.

Anyone know if the d bush is bonded to the clamp?

Like I said earlier, I don't doubt many have resolved by replacing arb drop links but having checked them extensively it isn't the drop links. There is no play in them and as I am trying to be sure I don't waste money fixing something that doesn't need done I'm not going to spend £50 on a drop link that has no play in it Thumbs Up 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #286715 15th Oct 2014 11:00pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

You could remove them and go for a drive just to see if the knock has gone, just don't go throwing it into corners! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #286725 15th Oct 2014 11:41pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

[quote="MachineHead"

Anyone know if the d bush is bonded to the clamp?

Thumbs Up[/quote]

ARB bush is bonded to the bar and a right sod to get off the bar while the bar is still trapped under the sodding car. Best done on a hoist but still a sod of a job.
Did I mention sod enough for you to get the idea?

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #287234 18th Oct 2014 3:35am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

There was no obvious play on either of our drop links but they were the source of the clunk Thumbs Up

Post #287235 18th Oct 2014 5:35am
MachineHead

if I get a moment i'll whip em off (drop links before anyone barf Laughing ) knowing my luck they will be a pig to remove on mine. 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #287317 18th Oct 2014 2:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>