Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Timing Chain replacement/Engine Out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I know the L322 was designed for different engines, but that is nuts. The old sport you had to take the body off to change a turbo. Such big cars with so little space to remove things.

Post #288852 25th Oct 2014 3:31pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The problem is, cars are designed for the most efficient assembly in a factory, not for working on them throughout their lifetime. They don't care as the cost is in assembly and profit is in the parts and working hours.

That is why I loved my first car, a Triumph Herald. Working on that car was just the easiest thing in the world !!!! After that it went all downhill, even the next (VW Beetle) was not a nice car to work on ;(.

Great job though on the TDV8 chain replacement. Well done and keep feeding us the info Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #288855 25th Oct 2014 3:35pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The car has now 155000 kms, so roughly 100000 miles.
Of course it's very strange for it to go wrong at such low miles...

Just out of curiosity, here's a pic of a ''clean'' TDV8 engine that I picked up a while ago at a LR dealer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, just for fun, here's a pic of a P38 4.6 all opened up...Easier to work on...

Click image to enlarge

Back to mine, as can be seen, with everything mounted, the chain/tensioner is not at all visible. You can only get a glimpse of the tensioner through the hole on the left bank.
Hipoteticalley, imagining the engine in place. To reach the chain with the engine in place, all the front of the car had to come off. Radiators, etc.. Then all of the top of the engine had to come off. Plenum chambers, intakes, etc... So, imagine working on this, with everything out of reach, would be a torture.
What it means is that, in the end, taking out the engine is the most easy alternative. And that, cost wise, will be just a 2 or 3 extra hours and the job gets done more cleanly and surely.

Even though i don't like it, at least it gives a chance to monitor other parts, and maybe even sort out some rough idling that i was experiencing lately. Maybe a blown engine mount. The engine is mounted on a similar system to the suspension.

So, could it be done with the engine in? Maybe. But in the end this presents a easier and more ''sure'' solution.

And totally agree with ''Ebajema''. Cars nowadays are made in the most cost effective way possible. Just look at those discovery channel ''how it's made/cars'' Everything is mounted apart but fully assembled, drivetrain for ex. Then is just raised into the car. Problem, for us buyers, but great for dealers, is that, then charging hours to replace everything is a great business. The TDV8 pic, from the dealer, took an account of around 4/5k € plus VAT at 23% Censored Nowadays you look at parts around 300€ for labour of around 1500€!!!

More pics, monday! Mr. Green

Post #288887 25th Oct 2014 8:46pm
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

I really wish you good luck with this and please keep the pic updates coming!!!

Post #288898 25th Oct 2014 9:20pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

yep, big job indeeeeeed! I changed the chain and tensioners on my 2002 bmw 4.4 v8 petrol. in situ, all with the front still on car, just rad out and rocker covers off etc. YES, you have to get that crank nut undone before you start all the 'easy' stuff. not difficult, as long as you have the engine timing tool (locking) set up 'kit'
I seem to remember being told that the same year bmw diesel engine had it chain at the back of the engine, so that had to come out. but don't know for sure. -that 'clean' tdv8 is just aching for a tin of silver paint and a wire brush, before it goes anywhere!
kinda handy that you can unbolt the front off a car these days, just like old yank cars were built. ie the front 'clip' all comes off, actually, the front and wings (fenders) came off then. to reveal an engine sitting on its mounts, an just a pair of chassis legs to bash your shins on. English cars had it all welded on.
So handy these days to use a camera at various stages, and magnetic bowls to put stuff into. and the good old internet to fall back onto!

interested to know what's failed.... we will be buying one of these in a few years.....

Post #288910 25th Oct 2014 10:12pm
VMPP

No big news this week.

The guy is waiting for a part/tool that holds the cams in their correct position.
Seems only one official workshop has that part, and as this job is being done ''off-expedient'', there's no chance of borrowing it from any dealer.

Post #289411 28th Oct 2014 6:59pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Looks a lot more work than the old p38 you can whip a v8 out in just over a couple of hours good luck with it Thumbs Up

Post #289416 28th Oct 2014 7:10pm
funnyguy1

United States 

Not sure on the 2007, but I had the chain tensioner update done on my 2011 SC and the engine did not have to come out.
Took 1 day.

Post #289489 29th Oct 2014 2:31am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

When we last did some work on a 4.4 tensioner there was something like 15 special tools needed! Shocked

God only knows what they would have cost to purchase? Shocked

Post #289515 29th Oct 2014 9:59am
VMPP

funnyguy1 wrote:
Not sure on the 2007, but I had the chain tensioner update done on my 2011 SC and the engine did not have to come out.
Took 1 day.

I posed that question also, but he told that indeed, on petrol models it can be done without a fuss. And it could also be done on this one, but it would be a crazy job, hence the engine out option.

Post #289528 29th Oct 2014 11:40am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Given its all stripped, it's probably worth checking the turbo oil feed pipes, turbos themselves for wear, and possibly getting the egr valves off and cleaning/replacing them. Also swapping all the turbo hoses etc. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #289593 29th Oct 2014 7:04pm
VMPP

The last ''clean engine'' pics are not from mine.

As far as I know, regarding my engine pics, nothing more will come out of the engine. He is able to reach the chains as it is. So, all the tubings, EgR's, turbos, etc.. will stay in place. They will be visually checked to see if is there anything notorious hidding, but not more than that.

The thing is, I either start replacing, just because, or as always happens with modern cars, everything is electrical, hence undetectable until it goes pop.

Post #290464 3rd Nov 2014 5:27pm
Ziggy

Australia 

G'Day VMPP

Mate can you tell me the reason the timing chain needed replacing and what diagnoses lead to that conclusion

I have looked back through the posts and couldn't find an answer.

If that were mine and in that state I would be getting the injectors checked/serviced Turbos checked on a test bed

the block decked, heads serviced compression test/leak down test done (and any work that showed up done)

replacing all tubes and hoses

It would be a new engine when it went back in......

Zigg "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana
Puts away his cloth cap and donkey jacket
Goes and sits in the naughty corner

Post #290543 3rd Nov 2014 11:25pm
VMPP

Yes it would be an almost like new engine.
I would also be newest newcomer to the bankruptcy group... Mr. Green Mr. Green

Fact is, I totally agree with you, taking everything out and inspecting it, would be great, but the fact is that this job is being done on a tight budget, so most inspections will be done on visual base, as removing everything and buying replacements would take the bill really north.
Look at the flag on the side, Portugal!, so no big bills are permited here.

I think I said it on the first post.
It started when I was warned that the engine was making a noise from it. Something like a ffffff ffffffff fffffffffff.
At first I couldn't hear it. But eventually, with a warmed up car I heard it loud and clear.
Over the last 6 months, the noise became worse and worse. And driving close to walls, wow, was really loud and notorious.
Even time stretching it a bit, in the end I had to drop it at the mechanic to get the job done.

With some of the stuff taken apart, we've noticed that one of the tensioners is at its most extreme travel length. There isn't much more travel play. So the chain is working a bit loose. I think that that must be the nบ 1 cause of the noise

Post #290649 4th Nov 2014 4:23pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Not at all implying that you should chuck money at it if not needed, but as oil starvation is one of the main causes of turbo failure (caused partially by improper servicing) aside from egr issues, i would definitely get them to check that the turbo oil feed pipes are clear and not blocked, could probably be cleaned out if needed too so only a small cost involved, and as the turbos are off the car and the engine then should be easy and pretty much par for the course when they are putting it back together. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #290708 4th Nov 2014 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>