Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Headlight Shudder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Doodle

United Kingdom 
Headlight Shudder

Since new the dipped beam has shuddered against the road surface on A and B roads in particular, were there are more uneven surfaces. (Both near and off-side equally in tandem).

From normal dipped beam, the illuminated area moves/rises about 2-3 meters forwards on the road.

This I find distracting, as do approaching vehicles and those in front. Seems ok on main beam.

They are adaptive and so appear ok on corners, but very noticeable shudder on the straight.

Dealer stated this is the self-levelling headlight function operating.

Well, I've had self-levelling before and not experienced this issue.

Anyone else had this or any ideas please, or is this really 'normal'. Bow down

Post #275060 9th Aug 2014 9:46am
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Wouldn't have thought it 'Normal', as it will be illegal (construction and use / vehicle lighting regulations). The self levelling system should be 'damped' tp prevent this type of thing happening. Ours certainly doesn't do it,(and the bl Censored dy roads around here are certainly rough enough) but the headlights do level when I stick the tin tent on the back. 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #275105 9th Aug 2014 8:03pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Hi I too have the head light shudder when I drive over bumps on the road and off road it is very evident I have had a look at the lights I think it is down to the length of the bulb in the light it is quite long and I think it must flex when hitting bumps I think they are a Philips ds3 light bulb. I have not found a replacement for these lights with more light output at the moment, as it is not that hard to replace the bulbs just remove the tops off the air filters, then I could see if by changing the bulbs makes any difference to the shudder using a different light manufacturer .

Post #276252 18th Aug 2014 7:59am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Thanks both for the info.

L405 has no bulbs as such. LED and Xenon all round so I understand.

Looks like the Xenons cover both main and dipped beam, so probably have some sort of a flap to partially cover the high beam when on dipped.

So on this basis, it could be that one or both flaps are 'bouncing' in response to the irregular road surface.

Not that the roads I use are all that bad. Suspect either possible fault with tyres, wheel balance, suspension, or the flaps/Xenons?

At present I am trying differing tyre pressures (as per other posts) and hope this may help.

Front wheels have been re-balanced but not rear. Next step probably all four finely balanced.

Post #276282 18th Aug 2014 11:11am
jettec

Hi again Doodle, the FF Range Rovers still have a bulb they are HID bulbs that are quite long in length and have a wire that runs up the outside of the bulb, the base of the bulb is is a square shape that houses the ignitor for the High Intensity gas discharge bulb and I still think it is the length of this bulb that shimmies on bumps .

Post #276431 19th Aug 2014 2:30am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Thanks, did not realise this. Good advice and will look into this with dealer.

It's one of those distracting niggles that you actually start to look for and wait to happen.

Post #276447 19th Aug 2014 9:12am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Are they adaptive?

I had a fault on my L322 where the lights would "bounce" even when stationary. In the end, I filmed it on my mobile, sent it to the dealer and they replaced the lights (IIRC).

Post #276470 19th Aug 2014 11:03am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Yes they are adaptive.

LED illuminates on corners with no bounce. Just happens on dipped Xenons.

Post #276562 19th Aug 2014 10:00pm
jettec

I have just returned from a 6klm outback adventure in the car covering a lot of off road driving the head lights now shudder quite badly over even the tinniest bumps I will be taking the car in , and will keep you updated as to what they find.

Post #284978 8th Oct 2014 9:47am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Thanks, this will be of great interest.

Post #285066 8th Oct 2014 3:45pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

When it is misbehaving, then stop (if it is safe to do so). I found mine continued to "bounce" even though the car was obviously stationary. That's when I filmed it - it is hard for the dealer to argue that it is the self-levelling when you are stationary!

Post #285085 8th Oct 2014 5:19pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Emperor, I tried this when you last posted, but being on country roads it's finding a safe stopping point by which time they stop bouncing). Really irritating.

It's a really good idea, so I'm trying to borrow a dash cam and capture the drivers view.

Did little night driving since Spring, but issue now annoying me again as Winter draws in.

Thanks for input and reminder. Thumbs Up

Post #285126 8th Oct 2014 8:38pm
jettec

Hi all just back from the service department, they have told me that my headlights were set to left hand drive position not right hand drive for Australia they said this was causing problem ! Well have driven at night now and headlights still shudder on bumps in road, So back we go again!

Post #294944 24th Nov 2014 1:05am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Hi jettec, I also did beam for left/right/left just in case there was a slow actuator and same as you, it made little difference other than it seemed to occur less often.

That now makes me think it's a suspension issue, as this slight variation has only happened since the updated ARC valve block was fitted. (No more knocking).

So as already suggested. I installed a dash cam and via the Dealer, the JLR Tech Dept. are supposed to be checking the 12 or so minutes which show the beam 'dancing' and juddering each time there is a change or variation in the road surface. At the same time the vibration is felt through the seat and car body.

The Dealer followed this up with Tech. Dept. last week, but nothing more to report as yet.

Will post again in due course.

Post #294960 24th Nov 2014 10:33am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

[u][b]Update.

Drawn a blank.

This is the LR position:

'All updates have been carried out on this vehicle. All Technical Bulletins available have been completed. We have found no faults with the vehicle and everything is operating to specification.'

'We always strive to provide the best possible service for our customers.'

'....this is a characteristic of the vehicle...'

So much for 35 years brand loyalty.

Characteristic.....I recall this is what they said about the knocking issue until the new valve block appeared.

Shades of denial like the issue with Fiat and the model 500 and no power. Two weeks later they announced a global recall!!

Found out this weekend I could have a new Aston M. vanquish for £8k less than I paid for this load of horse droppings. Big Cry

Glad I kept the 322.

Post #296248 1st Dec 2014 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1