Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Won't start when hot...sometimes...!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

From what I gather people, it's not a fueling issue, it's an issue that's causing the engine not to turn over at all. Or to put it another way the starter motor is not seeing the input from the key. If it's only happening when the car is hot then it might be moisture related, this would then point me towards the starter relay, as it would function better when its cold if the terminals inside are carbon-ed up due to arcing. Could also be caused by a temp sender giving a high reading and the ECU not allowing the engine to start, but I imagine that if this was the case you'd get the Bong of death followed by the message of Doom! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #296063 30th Nov 2014 1:07pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks for all the thoughts guys,

Ignition switch is new, it's defo not the inhibitor switch on the gearshift.

The LPG has no way of stopping it cranking, I used to have it starting on LPG when hot but changed that when I put the lower temp thermostat in as residual heat was making it start on LPG when it wasn't really hot enough and it would crank for ages and then struggle into life... So LPG is ruled out...

I've got another FF, same spec as mine, here at the moment. I'm fitting the Android head unit to it, be here for two weeks whilst the lucky owner is soaking up some sun, anyway, he left it parked at the top of the drive and yesterday I moved it into the garage, well, it's starter sounded quite different to mine, mine didn't sound bad to me but it is a more mechanical sound than the whirr of his one so maybe both the starters I've had have been failing...

Next time it plays up I really need to get behind the battery to check the Ignition interlock relay... trouble is with the battery out it will be a bit hard to tell if it's giving a feed, suppose I can check the coils and continuity, may see how much one is and just change it, if it's OK it must be the starter...

Left me a little puddle yesterday and bonged that it needed coolant, looks like the pipes at the rear of the engine.... also had to move it this morning and the battery light stayed on for a long time, voltage down to 11.9V revved it a bit and it went out and volts went to 14.2V

Well they say they always come in three's.... better get the head unit sorted in the other one so it can get out the garage..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #296082 30th Nov 2014 3:20pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Just had a thought Shocked Ouch! Big Cry
If this is a totally random occurrence, it would be useful to know if the starter solenoid is getting power the next time it strikes. so to that end, might I suggest that you install a very high tec tell tail in to the circuit?
Run a wire from the small wire on the starter to a light bulb or led in the cab, and every time you turn the key the light will light, or not, depending if it's the starter solenoid or the start inhibitor relay.
Ie, if you turn the key and it wont start and the light comes on it's your starter, and if you turn the key and the light does not come on it's something in the ignition circuit, probably the relay. Thumbs Up
And if it's anything like my old MG, once you have taken steps to find the fault, it will never appear again, all things being equal and belief in The Great God Sod Bow down Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #296108 30th Nov 2014 5:22pm
Haylands

Cheers mate and, yes it's an easy thing to do if you can get to the connection on the starter motor, you can't even see the motor from above and below it is covered by a massive heatshield as it's inches from the exhaust and you can't see much of it either, the connections are on the inside of it against the engine to keep them out the way... so an easy job turns into a right PITA...

Been out three times today for decent runs and it's been spot on... apart from the starter being a bit noisy as above so may change it and strip the old one down....

The first one died after it got wet when stuck in that infamous river in Wales, they can fill with water from the bellhousing as there is nothing like a wading plug on these, just an open housing.. water can get into the starter past the drive pinion then it can't get out so it sits half full of water, the new, second hand one had a very technical modification of a hole drilled in the end cap to let water out... however the solenoid looks to be pretty well sealed but who knows... This is a bit annoying because it sits lower than the 20" wading depth that Land Rover say is safe so if you use the car as they state then you will fill the starter with water....

It's a learning curve and looks like it needs some investigation.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #296119 30th Nov 2014 6:22pm
Haylands

Just took the old starter apart and it looks like it is actually sealed up pretty well, the drive pinion, when stripping it looks to be sealed as well, so the only way water can get in is through the vent hole on the top which is connected to a tube that exits at the top of the engine near the bulkhead, maybe this pipe has a split in it somewhere or has just got old and leaky.... If water gets into the main body there is a path through to the solenoid so maybe this is the problem, it's regularly been underwater with the old one and the new one so the problem could be water ingress...

I'll try another starter and change the vent pipe and see what happens....

It's amasing this worked at all, the bearing on the end of the motor seized and was screaming like a banshee before it was replaced, the debris underneath it is what came out from inside...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

Post #296132 30th Nov 2014 7:44pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Recon you've solved your own problem there Thumbs Up Although it may pay you to try and stay away from deep water, just because you've got a snorkel, it doesn't mean you've got to test it regularly Smile Got to admit that this is the first time I've come across this problem, that's not to say that it's a Hang Over thing, could happen to any make, only I've not heard of one Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #296144 30th Nov 2014 8:56pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

That's like trying to explain to a Labrador that it can't jump in the water after the stick...... Laughing 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #296146 30th Nov 2014 8:58pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Are you suggesting that we should call him Labrador Pete? Rolling with laughter I had noticed from that dirty movie he posted last week, can't for the life of me work out where the waters come from Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #296157 30th Nov 2014 9:19pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Maybe you should make your Hang Over look more like this one

If it wasn't a toy, it would be right up your street, you'd have a hard time getting the starter wet!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #296167 30th Nov 2014 9:44pm
Haylands

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

Post #296177 30th Nov 2014 10:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12