Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2007 20" to 18" winter wheel / tyre options - size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
NickH72

United Kingdom 
2007 20" to 18" winter wheel / tyre options - size

Hi All,

I am planning to change the current 20" setup over to an 18" wheel with appropriate AT tyre for the Winter months, pot hols, snow, corrosion, muddy lanes, hidden curbs etc etc - i do plan to use it for what it was intended during the winter and compared to my old 90 with 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2's i know the tyres will be the only limiting factor, well apart from not wanting to dent or scratch it Smile !

What 18" wheel with say at Grabber AT2 would give the correct rolling diameter? Has anyone done this and what affect has it had on the driving experience? What width can i run to?

Cheers

Nick

Post #26472 26th Aug 2010 2:28pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

255/60R18 on any 18" proper FFRR rims.

Example of Grabber AT2 for sale it that size here:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?pli...55/60_R_18[/url]

Last edited by Fox on 26th Aug 2010 2:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #26473 26th Aug 2010 2:34pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Just a thought... do 18" rims fit a 2007 if it's got bigger brakes than a Td6?

Post #26475 26th Aug 2010 2:40pm
NickH72

United Kingdom 

I dunno.. but good question.. i got the Brembo's. Anyone?

I guess there isnt a decent AT pattern for a 19", bit too close to 20"? so profile too thin?

Cheers for info

Post #26477 26th Aug 2010 2:43pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I think it's just down to a lack of demand.

They do the MTR for a 19" rim, but probably that is only available because Land Rover wanted to use the FFRR and Sport for the G4 challenge and nobody did an off-road tyre in 19 until then.

MTR here:
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-ty...,S,XL.html

Post #26478 26th Aug 2010 2:47pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Nick,

A quick search suggests that 18 inch rims will NOT fit over Bembro brakes on a 2007 FFRR.
There are some topics on various forums, but basically the answer is no.

That leaves you pretty much with the MTR or a road biased all-terrain. Certainly nothing as multi purpose as a General Grabber AT2 or a BFG All-Terrain. Unless you can modify the brake caliper in some way as mentioned here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic8378.h...ompomotive to get a not-standard rim to fit.

Richard

Post #26479 26th Aug 2010 2:56pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have a set of Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres on 19's that I bought for my RRS, they are much quieter on the road than the MTR/AT option and have excellent braking and wet weather grip too. 3 years/3000 miles max, old and 2 winter's use plus a 1000 miles this summer on the motorway even though they are a winter tyre, the heavy rain we had in late July made me appreciate them over the 20" I would normally have been running on. I had offered them for sale over on RRSport but no takers. They are the set on the right in this picture

and they are all in this condition after 3 years

Was looking for £900+ carriage for the 4 - the rims are RRSport 19" V spokes and in as new condition

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #26484 26th Aug 2010 4:33pm
Mounty

Switzerland 

Pirellli is a excellent tyer. Thumbs Up Had them on two Disco3. How do the wheels then look on a FFRR? Daniel

Past:FFRR 2004 Vogue 4.4l bonnatigrey/sand/ burr walnut
Modifications: SC grill (not fixed) SC MY10 sidevents (not fixed), MY10 Letters front and back, clear sidelights , MY10 rear lights (not fixed), MY09 steering wheel trims, new MY09 sterringwheel 19'' seven spoke wheel (not fixed) 19'' MTS (not fixed), 20 '' wheels, doorhandelcovers brunel (not fixed), complete doorhandels (not fixed) burr walnutdoorsouround (not fixed)

Post #26486 26th Aug 2010 4:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

Dunno Mounty, even this far north it's still summer and no snow yet so haven't tried them on the FFRR, but at Altnahara last night the night time temperature dropped to -1C............................... I ran the RRS on them in July, I'm very pleased with them but have to make room for some Stormers that are due to arrive any day now and will bring the tyre/wheel stock in my garage up to 20............... 4x 19" MTRs, 4 x 19" Ice and Snow, 4x New BFG MTR's on ZU antrhacite alloys waiting to go onto my 90 and a set of 4 BFG ATRs also off the 90, to be joined by FFND's 4 x 20" Stormers - and there isn't a lot of room left for the 2 spare trailer wheels and tyres I also have for my Ivor Williams trailer that lives in the garage too..... 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #26488 26th Aug 2010 4:55pm
Tim in Scotland

OK Mounty just for you here are some wheel combos on my FFRR Mr. Green

The 19's it left the factory on

Click image to enlarge

The Pirelli Snow and Ice Tyres on RRS V spoke 19" rims
Click image to enlarge

The GY MTRs on 19" Disco3 HSE Rims
Click image to enlarge

and now for the laugh....................... these are my Defender's 265/75 R16 MTR's on the Zu Rims
not the most professional photo, and there is no way this set-up would fit on the FFRR unless you can live without access mode!
Click image to enlarge

And now the BFG AT's on 16" Freestyles on the FFRR
Click image to enlarge

And here is what the ZUs might look like on the 90
Click image to enlarge

And here are the Deep Dish Alloys it has been running on for the last 4 years which have hardly any scuffing despite some very serious rock climbing and mud plugging - shows that when LR design a wheel properly they can make one that is virtually scuff proof
Click image to enlarge

Wow that was hard work................................. Rolling with laughter 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 26th Aug 2010 5:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #26489 26th Aug 2010 5:28pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Smile I really do like the look of a big chunky tyre on a Range Rover - they suit the car better than low profile tyres IMHO...

... something like in picture 3 (19" GY MTR's on Disco3 alloys) - those alloys are a similar design to the 20" wheels I have on my one.

Rolling Eyes Thanks for your pics & effort Tim, but should you really be shunting those wheels about with your dodgy leg!?!

Post #26490 26th Aug 2010 5:35pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

The ZU rims are nice on a 90 Tim. Really suit it.
I ran a set with BFGs on mine, of which there is a picture on here somewhere.

Post #26494 26th Aug 2010 5:46pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Tim

If you want to sell the 19" MTR's, tyres only, drop me a PM Thumbs Up

Post #26508 26th Aug 2010 7:48pm
Mounty

Switzerland 

Tim Bow down Bow down Bow down . Thanks a lot for the photos. BF Goodrich just look awesome Cool Look forward to some stormer pics. Daniel

Past:FFRR 2004 Vogue 4.4l bonnatigrey/sand/ burr walnut
Modifications: SC grill (not fixed) SC MY10 sidevents (not fixed), MY10 Letters front and back, clear sidelights , MY10 rear lights (not fixed), MY09 steering wheel trims, new MY09 sterringwheel 19'' seven spoke wheel (not fixed) 19'' MTS (not fixed), 20 '' wheels, doorhandelcovers brunel (not fixed), complete doorhandels (not fixed) burr walnutdoorsouround (not fixed)

Post #26545 27th Aug 2010 7:56am
Tim in Scotland

OK here it is with the Stormer against the car................

Thanks to FFND, but I won't be fitting them until i return from my holiday out to one of the Hebridean Islands where there are only single track roads and very few passing places - would hate to offroad them on a verge and scuff them! The 90 is off to the tyre fitters tomorrow to have the Zu's fitted 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #26617 27th Aug 2010 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>