Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Newbie with a couple of question (RR2002 Vogue)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
BenjaminD

Australia 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

The new loom has no connection at all with the 2 12pin connectors. However it connect with the 16pin connector, almost all of them.

Pin 10 (Phone MUTE), 11 (Tel ON) and 14 (12V Ibam) are not connected.

Could I easily test this out by pulling out pin 9 in the old loom and wire it together with pin 9 on the original radio?

Sorry for being out of sync. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Post #298072 10th Dec 2014 9:37am
BenjaminD

Just saw that pin 1, 4, 5, 8 and 11 was not connected on the original loom.

I also just realised my previous didn't make much sense since I would have to attach the Ibuss wire to the metal pin on the original radio. No idea how I would have to do that.

Post #298074 10th Dec 2014 9:44am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Can you not disconnect the pin for ibus and move it ?

Also.......if you can't get the source route to work, connect all the original stuff back in as it was, iBus and all, and use the 4 speaker out feeds on your new unit and feed straight into the speaker outputs from the bm54 to the dsp.

You may actually find that easier. You will have to cut the wires or disconnect them from the bm54 though to join to your new unit.

That way you will use the amp in your new unit to drive the DSP.

The bm54 will still need to be alive and on the IBus to keep the dsp going, but that's all it will do.

No matter what source you select on the old screen, you will only ever hear the android unit.

Would need to run the wires from the front of the car to the back though.... Whistle

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #298080 10th Dec 2014 10:17am
BenjaminD

I'm not sure how I could disconnect and move the physical pin since it's coming out of the old radio and no wire can be seen towards that pin.

Post #298088 10th Dec 2014 10:36am
BenjaminD

Update:

Attached the new loom with can bus box on old loom (that used to be in the old radio):
- Steering wheel controls function
- NO SOUND

Removed PIN 9 (Ibuss) of the old loom and attached it directly into old radio while having the rest of the pins on the new loom:
- Steering wheel controls DON'T function
- NO SOUND

Next thing I removed PIN 16 of the old loom and attached it directly into old radio while having the rest of the pins on the new loom (with and without PIN 9)
- No power for the new unit
- DSP greyed out immediately (and not after 1 min as usual.

By the way I left the 2 12pin connectors in the old radio since there's no connection to it in the new loom.

I'm out of ideas for this option, and want to be sure it can't be done before I cut into wires. I might resend the aftermarket unit back. To those who suggested the Intravee, the reason why I'm not thinking about it for new, is because it's about as expensive as an aftermarket unit (which hopefully will work somehow).

Ironhorse, plugged the his new unit straight into the old loom, disconnected and reconnected the big connector in the crossover box and it worked. Somehow, it doesn't work with mine. The only visual difference I can see from now is that Ironhorse DID HAVE the 2 12pin connectors in his new loom, where I don't.

FYI this is how old and new loom are connected.

Post #298281 11th Dec 2014 2:15am
mjdronfield

The iBus will need to be connected to both old and new units to get all features to work, so if the magic box on the new unit should work it, then pin 9 can stay on the old radio as normal.

You need DSP in White on the old screen etc to get any sound out, but you've probably gathered that.

You should always get sound from the old radio if you are trying to replace one of the sources method.

Do you get no sound from either ?

I know at this point you are making sure the loom is no good before cutting. I'd imagine that in iron horses setup, the speaker outs from the bm54 were substituted, ie all feeds were as standard but the speaker outputs from the new unit fed the dsp. If he gets the sound from the new unit irrespective of what source is selected on the old screen, that's will be how it's connected.

You need to keep all the connectors as they originally were on the old system and replace speaker feeds. Perhaps just 1 channel first to check. If that's the option you prefer, and poss more straightforward than replacing a single source channel with the pre amp outs to be honest.

You can possibly figure this out with the looms you have, but may need a sit down and some pen and paper.

I'd then figure out how to get the new unit on the IBus etc after perhaps, once you know how to get sound through the system ? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #298289 11th Dec 2014 7:19am
BenjaminD

Quote:
The iBus will need to be connected to both old and new units to get all features to work, so if the magic box on the new unit should work it, then pin 9 can stay on the old radio as normal.

Have no idea how I could connect the two. Can I tap that off the existing PIN9? I feel this sort of thing is getting a bit ahead of me. The CAN BUS on the new loom only works when PIN 9 is into the new loom. If PIN 9 goes into the old one as I did today it doesn't work.

Quote:
You should always get sound from the old radio if you are trying to replace one of the sources method.
Do you get no sound from either ?

I haven't tried any of the sources method yet.

Quote:
I know at this point you are making sure the loom is no good before cutting. I'd imagine that in iron horses setup, the speaker outs from the bm54 were substituted, ie all feeds were as standard but the speaker outputs from the new unit fed the dsp. If he gets the sound from the new unit irrespective of what source is selected on the old screen, that's will be how it's connected.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to say. According to Ironhorse's explanation and pictures, he didn't connect anything to the bm54. As far as I can understand it, he unplugged the loom out of bm54, into the new unit. Disconnected and reconnected the big connector on the crossover box (big black thing at far left when looking at installation ((DSP?))
I apologise if this is bad forum-etiquette but it's the only place I could find his picture. Kind of difficult to see if anythings plugged in the bm54. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...creen.html

The only difference I can see is that he has the 2x12pin connectors in his new loom, but I don't.

Quote:
You need to keep all the connectors as they originally were on the old system and replace speaker feeds. Perhaps just 1 channel first to check. If that's the option you prefer, and poss more straightforward than replacing a single source channel with the pre amp outs to be honest.

Do you mean taking out pin 2, 3, 6 and 7 out of the 16pin loom and replacing them with the speaker-feeds of my new loom?

Again, sorry for all the stupid questions and thanks for your follow up. I do appreciate it!!!

Post #298291 11th Dec 2014 7:51am
BenjaminD

He seems to have an additional fakra fully populated(40 pin) ISO parrot adapter, that I don't have. It's in his post (not in pic) but he didn't mention it via email. That's probably whats going to his bm54 and what confused me.

Post #298295 11th Dec 2014 8:13am
ironhorse

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

do not take this the wrong way but:
i cant understand why people go to so much time and trouble of taking pins out hear and putting them in there ,cutting amps out (unless its knackered in the first place) when there is a very simple (£20.00 simple )and proven way of doing it
the silver box under the rear floor is the AMP you need ALL of the wires connected through this and to the new head unit to get it to work
this is what you need to make it work

if you have not got this it will never work

this is what enables you to connect the old AMP to the new unit
1 ONLY 1 connection is needed and that is a +12v aux and there is already one supplyed on the parrot adaptor
no cutting amps out,no cutting wires all stock BMW parts
simples

nige

Post #298383 11th Dec 2014 4:50pm
mjdronfield

So it looks like that is using the telephone interrupt if it's a loom for a phone kit.

Very simple if you have that bit then.

I was just looking at alternative solutions if you don't have the right connectors

Looks like the way to go for £20 and can easily revert back to stock if needed for some reason. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Last edited by mjdronfield on 11th Dec 2014 11:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298408 11th Dec 2014 6:52pm
ironhorse

thank you
Thumbs Up
as i have said all along

Post #298411 11th Dec 2014 7:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Hi BenjaminD, I've been looking at the pictures that you've given and I think you will have a problem if you try to use the new loom with out modifications. Firstly on page 2 you ask what the white plug is for, it would appear that it goes to the BMW canbus module and the cable marked ill+ is the dimmer wire that needs to be connected to a + light wire. If you are trying to keep the DSP then I'll assume that you've moved the old sat nav display in to the glove box. So you'll need to connect the new sound to the feed that comes out of the BM54 but leave all the other wires connected.
So you'll have to cut and join to the speaker wires that come from the BM54 and the new loom, i.e. join the new speaker wires to the speaker wires that come out of the BM54. This will leave you with a few connections that are left. it should be possible to piggy back these on to the old loom from the BM54. This will then give you a fully working BM54 unit, but the sound will be coming from the new head unit, and going in to the DSP. And before you say it will be too much power for the DSP, the BM54 is an amplified output at normal speaker levels. The DSP 'amp' just splits the sound up amongst the speakers and adds a few amplified extra channels. You will need both units to turned on to get any sound, but that sound should be SWEET Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #298468 11th Dec 2014 11:17pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

PS all the Ibus leads are joined together in the fuse box, so doubling up should not be an issue Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #298472 11th Dec 2014 11:21pm
ironhorse

you do not have to cut any speaker wires
there are 40 wires going into the amp for a reason

dont put the 40 wires back in it wont work

put a canbus wire and a 12v feed in and

yes it will power up,but no speaker wires in and out =NO sound: simples

Post #298528 12th Dec 2014 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123