Home > General > need your thoughts ....tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
rangie47

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
need your thoughts ....tdv8

hi chaps,
New to here,but as you can guess by my user name ,ive owned lots of rangies over the years ,plus a long member of d2boysclub,
what i need your thoughts on is ,thinking of getting a 2007 vogue tdv8,black ,black interior,130ooo miles ,3 owners,last 1 -4 years,drives absolutely lovely plus got rear entertainment pack,

but service history only till 103000 in book -2 years ago
only 1 key
slight bubbling on lower edge of upper tailgate
stone mark on windowscreen

questions are,,,, is this worth 12k ?

everything works fine on it,maybe it was serviced at a local garage over those 2 years or the book just wasn't stamped,
wouldn't find out till i purchase and send a letter to previous owner ,

i know forums are full of problems -turbos etc,same as it was with the d2 ,but as people have said you only tell of problems on forums ,not how good they are,is the tdv8 3.6 that bad

so would you take a chance with this at the price?

ps i used to be a recovery driver and the cars i most picked up where rr sports and all bm's especially x5's,

thanks in advance ,,,,

Post #315053 26th Feb 2015 11:34pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I'd say that sounds about right, but it's your money, you have to be happy with the decision....

Personally for that money I'd get a SC on LPG.... cheaper to buy, faster and cheaper to run.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #315062 27th Feb 2015 1:28am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

At the risk of getting shot down in flames here.....

I like the idea of a TDV8 a lot but I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole (TD6 yes, TDV8 no) There are far too many of them munching their turbos without warning and meaning you potentially have a £7k upwards bill effectively leaving you with a pile of scrap metal that is only good for breaking.

Yes, I know that forums tend to cover the bad things but remember that there are also lots of people with problems who don't go near a forum too.

My local LR indy currently has 2 FF TDV8s sitting in the yard where the vehicle owner is mulling over what to do next. I understand that the RRS is even more prone.

So for me it's a "no". I don't think I'd sleep at night and life's too short for all of that...... 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #315087 27th Feb 2015 8:32am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds about right money wise, but as hylands says you need to be sure it's ok. Difficult for us to do via the net.

27k is a long way to go between oil changes, so that's a slight gamble. You will have read of the main problems on here with the tdv8 some happen to many cars, alternator being one of them and turbo hoses, but some run entirely fault free! If it is through a dealer the. He should contact the previous owner for you to verify that service, if not at least let you have sight of the V5 with their contact details. Name + address = directory enquiries and a quick call to verify.

It is a great engine when running properly, which to be honest mine has done engine wise since I have had it (4 years) bar alternator and turbo hoses. Richtdv8 ran his 08 up and down the country and clocked up 130k with just those issues too, which usually occur before 130k (70-80k). So there are those with turbo problems but they are less common than forums would have you believe.

There are no belts to do bar the aux drive belts so that's not an issue.

It may be an indication of the last owner that they didn't get the tailgate sorted under warranty, (6years) once they start to go they are pretty much impossible to strip back and prevent it happening again. It's a new tailgate job to get rid of the rust.

If you are not sure then walk away, there are plenty out there! Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #315090 27th Feb 2015 8:43am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sorry to disagree with you Pete but why put LPG on an SC engine?

Surely you would be in the same boat as above! Sleepless nights waiting for the doom! Where the fun ownership in that?

Post #315093 27th Feb 2015 8:44am
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I've had my TDV8 for about a year now and have had a couple of issues - one was the tank lift pump that died killing the car at 60mph (entertaining!). Then had a couple of O-rings go on the power steering pump but they were cheap (if not easy) to replace.

From the research I did the turbo issues seem to be more related to those that chip their cars rather than the vehicle in general. The sports appeared to be chipped more often hence they seem to be more prevalent in their failures.

The one question that hasn't been asked is do you know what kind of mileage you're expecting to cover? I've done 27k+ in the year I've owned mine and it's a superb vehicle. Fantastic at towing, going off road and to be honest the TDV8 doesn't sound bad either Thumbs Up. Not quite as nice as the 5L in the SVR but for a locomotive not bad at all. Ed

Post #315104 27th Feb 2015 9:29am
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Some TDV8' have had turbo issues, but given TDV8's massively outsold petrol varients (>15:1 based on Autotrader, adverts up to 7 years old and less £70k) you should expect to read about more TDV8 issues than petrol issues.....

Ive had my TDV8 for 2.5 years, purchased at 70k, now on 105k miles and other than top turbo hose split, its been absolutely fine. I fully expect it to go on to do > 150k before i replace it (no point buying something nice with toddlers!) 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #315107 27th Feb 2015 9:45am
Haylands

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Sorry to disagree with you Pete but why put LPG on an SC engine?

Surely you would be in the same boat as above! Sleepless nights waiting for the doom! Where the fun ownership in that?

Craig,

A mate of mine who is an ex BAE engineer has been doing LPG for years, I even worked part time for him a few years ago when LPG was at it's peak. I've had loads of big engined cars and fitted LPG to all of them with no issues at all. Most of the problems surrounding LPG is the quality of the install and the setting up, most systems we saw with problems were down to the fact they had been cheaply fitted and set up to run rich, it's easy to get them running nicely but harboring problems for the future. If you use the correct, matched parts and use some common sense installing them then the results are superb (a bit like facelifts!!) Using the latest injection valve lube will prevent any problems. Most people forget to fill up with the valve lube, suffer from valve recession and blame the LPG when the fault lies with them... LPG also needs checking and resetting at regular intervals as the parts wear, a bit like the rest of the car...

LPG is 105 octane but has a lower calorific value compared to petrol, bear this in mind and you can rechip the engine for a fairly significant power increase, adjust the system properly and then don't ignore it and you have the recipe for trouble free, cheap motoring....

Drive around with what most people have, which is the cheapest system they could get, fitted in a day and it's a disaster waiting to happen.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #315125 27th Feb 2015 10:42am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Pete, i could not agree with you more sir...

What you have described above is unfortunately now more the industry standard unfortunately!

I purchased an SC with gas from a forum member! He spent a fortune thinking he was getting what you have described above! The reality was the valve lube constantly had air bubbles in the lines! Changed 4 times! Very limited range on LPG, BIG area's of the UK have NOT got filling stations!

In the end i made the decision to drive without using it and my stress & worry levels fell dramatically!

I have LPG on my classic (purchased with it) an old mixer type system that works really well has HUGE capacity! and was installed with a brand new RPi 4.2 top hat engine Thumbs Up

Post #315140 27th Feb 2015 11:22am
Andy_J

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Had my TDV8 4 years now, only probelmes I have had are alternator and split turbo hoses. Would thoroughly recomend them. Not good if you have a short commute though, as it can take up to 15 mins/7-8 miles to warm up properly 56 TDV8 Vogue SE
9 Freelanders, 2x 2002 TD4ES, 2001 TD4, 2002 1.8GS, 2000 XEDI, 2x 2000 1.8ES, 2004 1.8 & 2000 1.8 GS (rolled)
91 Lotus Carlton (sold)
90 Lotus Elan (BRG)

Post #315186 27th Feb 2015 2:04pm
Haylands

Craig, I can get about 80ltrs in my boot tank, still got a flat floor!!! It does about 14mpg on LPG at best (big tyres and lots of weight, and I like the sound!!!) so I get about 220-240 out of a tank.

Luckily there are loads of LPG stations around here and with apps like fillLPG I haven't had a problem...

Prins always used to be the best system, but the newish BRC system seems to be the market leader nowadays.... Pete

Post #315203 27th Feb 2015 3:13pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

It was a BRC system Pete... Rolling Eyes

Post #315204 27th Feb 2015 3:14pm
rangie47

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

thanks for the feedback chaps,
last year i only did about 6-7000 miles ,
id love a sc but i dont think ill get a 07 plate for 12k Sad

like i say the last owner had it for 4 years , i just cant see someone having serviced for the 1st 2 then not bothering for the second 2 ?
unless he was a tight a>>e and didnt have a warranty cover for the last 2 years,
thats part of my problem as with the mileage i cant get 1 to make it less painful if it goes wrong,
i did call the dealer about calling the last owner for me ,but was told he probably wouldn't like been contacted,
where if it was me i wouldn't mind telling anybody about the ins and outs of a car ive owned ,
i did see his address and comes from a lovely part of sunny devon Cool
but probably ex directory

Post #315261 27th Feb 2015 5:56pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

My only other 2Ps worth............. Thumbs Up

Diesels' (any diesel, not just the TDV8) is designed to be running for long periods (e.g. commercial vehicles, trucks, generators etc.) - Doing short, stop-start trips does them no favours at all.

We had a diesel car in the family, used for the school run (just about a mile each way), local shopping trips etc. the fuel consumption was dreadful followed by all sorts of problems with EGR valves, DPFs etc. In this case (and I suspect yours with the mileage you do), the petrol equivalent would have been a relative bargain!

I'm not particularly anti diesel but the latest findings surrounding diesels, particulates, health etc. are certainly something that has my attention. 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #315272 27th Feb 2015 7:17pm
Haylands

Several TDV8's on autotrader with that age and mileage with FSH, this ones black...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...?logcode=p

2007 black SC with FSH

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...?logcode=p

Plenty about, if you have doubts about that one.... Pete

Post #315273 27th Feb 2015 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>