Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Why TDV8 turbos fail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Back on the topic Wink - TDV8 4.4 turbo's don't fail as a rule.
Mine have even got better with age and I no longer get a cloud of smoke from the 2nd Turbo Thumbs Up 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #658231 2nd Mar 2023 9:20am
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Strange with mine, in the sommer I have cloud of smoke after long city driving, in the winter nothing. Turbo mode is done, turbochargers dry, no oil in intercooler, oil level not drops in 10000km at all.

Post #658232 2nd Mar 2023 9:27am
JayGee

I may not have the car long enough to do a summer test Embarassed
The only thing I changed was the plenum (with a clean one) and there may have been enough crud inside the old one to get blown through when the airflow increases as the 2nd turbo comes into play? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #658233 2nd Mar 2023 9:34am
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Plenum chamber also cleaned.
The main problem of smoke is not efective auxiliar oil pump work. It pumping oil out from turbo drain reserviour well, but when it get empty, the pump suck air and stop pumping until get higher revs. In this perioud turbochargers have no oil drain at all and oil gets into the intake.
LR made drain mode, but it not solve the problem compleatly due prime turbo is also connected with the same reserviour.

Post #658234 2nd Mar 2023 9:48am
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

JayGee wrote:
Back on the topic Wink - TDV8 4.4 turbo's don't fail as a rule.
Mine have even got better with age and I no longer get a cloud of smoke from the 2nd Turbo Thumbs Up

Yes mine did that cloud of darkish smoke for the first time last year during my monthly duel-carriageway sorte (nearest open road) of 20-mins of clearing of particulate filter thingie, and it did scare the life out of me. It coughed and spluttered a tad also - which mine had never done before then - which also had the heart-rate climbing... Big Cry

Post #658257 2nd Mar 2023 3:28pm
JayGee

Dark smoke is unusual. It's white smoke (oil vapour) that comes from the 2nd turbo. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #658258 2nd Mar 2023 3:34pm
Rudyard1

United Kingdom 

My turbos went at approx 140k miles. Up to that point I was changing oil (both sump plugs out etc) for good quality oil every 8k miles. Had them changed for recon units which came with a 1yr warranty and I must admit they’ve been great since. Cost was approx 2.4k.

I change oil very regular and continue with the warm up/cool down procedure as always.

(The turbos went after I performed an overtake on a caravan - it had been a 250 mile journey up to that point and I was about 5 miles from our destination when they went. Cloud of smoke, pulled over as quick as I could and used minimal throttle to limp it into a car park. Mechanic said he found about 4 litres of oil in the intercooler and pipe work etc - I consider myself very lucky I still have a working car!)

Oh and had EGRs replaced at about 125k miles. One of these went on the motorway and I limped it home.

Post #658283 2nd Mar 2023 7:48pm
Thunderbird2

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi all

Adding my experience to the database...

I have a 2007 3.6 TDV8. The car had previously blown a turbo and received an engine transplant at ~200,000 kms. I bought the car at ~ 260,000kms and acquired the old engine along with it. At 300,000kms it blew another turbo on the transplanted engine.

I observe that in both cases,

1. the LHS turbo (passenger side in RHD cars) failed, while the RHS did not
2. the turbo shaft failed, causing the turbine to foul the housing
3. the nut at the end of the shaft separated and made its way into bottom of the intercooler
4. the turbine itself was damaged but did not disintegrate
5. the turbo's oil seal was compromised and it immediately began pumping huge amounts of oil into both the intercooler and exhaust

In regards to the second turbo failure, which is the only one I witnessed first hand,

6. it was preceded by at least 30,000kms of heavy smoke under acceleration and relatively poor fuel economy (~12L/100km highway)
7. around 2,000kms before failure, I was able to drain a small amount of oil from the lower intercooler hoses
8. the typical turbo soundtrack was somewhat muted compared to a 'healthy' turbodiesel sound
9. the turbo failed under full throttle from a standing start, with a vehicle speed of no more than ~30km/h at the time. The engine was fully warmed up.

Like most who choose to repair, I opted to have both turbos replaced and the oil feeds, drains, and intercooler professionally cleaned. My mechanic also reported draining about 5 litres of oil from the intercooler and exhaust system.

Since replacement

10. the engine is smoother, quieter, and more responsive to throttle (especially at speed)
11. fuel economy has improved, achieving around 8-9L/100km highway
12. the engine is quieter and the turbo soundtrack more distinct

During my period of ownership, the car had been cared for meticulously- frequent oil changes, no hard acceleration when cold, turbos allowed to cool down, etc. However, it was subject to frequent short trips (~20 minutes, ~10km)- unavoidable as our daily driver, but has now been relegated to 'second car' status and hopefully will do better for the lighter duty cycle and the longer drives it entails.

I've also replaced the thermostat housing, radiator, and alternator in my period of ownership... so hopefully I manage to get SOME use out of it!

Warmly

Will 2007 FFRR Vogue 3.6 TDV8 (Buckingham Blue)
1979 Jaguar XJ12 5.3 LWB (Juniper Green)

Post #665785 3rd Jun 2023 2:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456