Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L322 to L405 - Any regrets?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Paul J.

England 

Side door pocket, half way up the door = sunglasses storage space Thumbs Up

I don't understand the comment about the rear seats not rolling forward; they fold almost flat so why the need to roll forwards Question

Adaptive suspension only needed for the heavier engines; in the 3.0d it wouldn't make much difference.

The heated / cooled seats do have a dash button, which takes you straight to a menu screen where you can switch on/off, hot/cold, seat zone etc. so, not much of a faff when you get used to it.

The drive and handling is light years ahead of the L322. And, as has been said by others, the L322 is beginning to look and feel dated.

Just IMHO. Thumbs Up

Post #321455 6th Apr 2015 5:15pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Please keep the comments coming (both for and against L322/405 of course).

The decision maker has read this thread today. If changing, 'the Vogue' is ahead of the RRS which 'seems a bit more dinky and I don't want an Evoque lookalike'. Haven't actually confirmed the estimated cost to change to the decision maker though. Whistle

Been tidying the garage today and must say, time constraints aside, I've come to strangely enjoy/ would miss using my now almost impressive little array of tools and tinkering with the L322!

ps.. Can you 'roll' the L322 seats backwards and forwards (knew they went flat but other than that)?

Thumbs Up

Post #321464 6th Apr 2015 6:20pm
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Paul J. wrote:
Side door pocket, half way up the door = sunglasses storage space Thumbs Up

The heated / cooled seats do have a dash button, which takes you straight to a menu screen where you can switch on/off, hot/cold, seat zone etc. so, not much of a faff when you get used to it.

Just IMHO. Thumbs Up

Yep the dash button takes you to a menu, which because of the lag in the system when you turn on takes ages to get to. I was a few miles from home from home before I could turn it on the other day, it sucks.

Post #321467 6th Apr 2015 6:32pm
modbarra

Scotland 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Loire Blue

A few miles before switching on? Think you have a problem or not using it properly, my is selected, temp and section within seconds!

Post #321471 6th Apr 2015 7:40pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
I personally think A, they are built to a whole different pedestrian safety criteria so are VERY flimsy front end wise... We have seen 5 or 6 tap the front end at approx 5mph writing off the front ends instantly! Not really good enough on a capable off road vehicle! B, the quality of the fixings used are poor! Most times you remove covers etc the clips snap off! Just small (ish) things but relevant!

The paint finish on several i have looked at in depth is to say the least poor for a $80K+ vehicle! including dirt particles in the paint finish! Having passed through both factory & dealer pdi without being rectified!

Owners (especially wives) are complaining about the heated seat function buttons being hidden in nav menu! The lack of sunglasses holders, storage and lack of boot space... So much so two of my customers have gone back to late model 322 5.0 AB's...

Don't get me wrong, i will own one one day... But all is not rosy with all the owners i meet! Rolling Eyes

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. Bow down Yes, I'd like one too, some day.

Post #321485 6th Apr 2015 8:57pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Your welcome sir Bow down

Post #321497 6th Apr 2015 9:36pm
stenh02

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Rimini Red

modbarra wrote:
A few miles before switching on? Think you have a problem or not using it properly, my is selected, temp and section within seconds!

When you first get in the car the boot up sequence is going on and the car doesn't seem to register the hard key touch and if you're reversing the camera screen goes on. Yes, I agree it's a stupid thing to dislike about a car but it was those wee things that we use almost everytime we get in the car that build up. Evil or Very Mad The l322 was a push or spin the climates on. Yes, they prob take longer to heat but at least they can be on just after the car is started.

Post #321535 7th Apr 2015 7:16am
Flugplatz

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green

The balance of the pros/cons is positive in favour of the new car.

Niggles and things we miss about the previous model: the touch-screen interface for, inter alia, heated seats - I've heard a number of automotive company execs frothing about how they are trying to 'mimic' their customers' supposed liking for smart phone interfaces with many aspects of their lives. What drivel... With buttons/dials, muscle memory makes such controls more or less a 'blind' task. That is, one can adjust without really taking eyes of the road. The touch screen is far more difficult to use on the move. The variations-on-a-mouse theme adopted by BMW/Audi/Merc et al are far more intuitive and easy to use on the move or when at a standstill

On start-up, LR also seems to have engineered a frustrating delay, seemingly worse on cold days, where the car appears determined not to allow access to heated seat and other controls...

There, I feel better now.

Other things that we miss: boot is now smaller (floor is higher in the new car, in particular); lower half of tailgate is so much lower that it's a diminutive dog indeed (or just one better trained than ours...) that will feel constrained by it. The rear seats do not, it's true, roll/fold forward so the load bay is no longer flat when configured such.

Although the new car is clearly more modern-looking and far from unattractive, it has lost some of its, for want of a better word, dignity. I wonder how well it will age...

On the plus side, the new car with active suspension is far more useable away from a straight line. This is one change alone makes the change worthwhile....

Post #321592 7th Apr 2015 12:00pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

The L405 is leaps and bounds ahead in both drive and styling IMHO.I have owned all versions of the FFRR and can honestly say that the L405 is the finest driver of the lot and looks the absolute dogs! Thumbs Up Very Happy If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #321618 7th Apr 2015 2:17pm
djmac909

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Agreed - 7 years with a L322 S/C over 80k miles now changed to a L405 S/C - bring the RR upto build quality and refinement of its peers. L405 S/C Autobiog

Post #321653 7th Apr 2015 5:42pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Paul J. wrote:

Adaptive suspension only needed for the heavier engines; in the 3.0d it wouldn't make much difference.

Completely disagree. There's only about 5% weight difference at fully laden between the 3.0d and the 4.4d/5.0SC (150-200kg). Having driven L405's with and without the adaptive suspension, their ride quality/cornering is incomparable. If LR fitted the adaptive suspension to the 3.0d as do to the RRS (especially if it was the updated 3.0d version) it would be the sweet spot in the range for me. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #321678 7th Apr 2015 8:18pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I personally feel the build quality is behind the L322, particular the interior which feels a bit plasticky to me! A lot of the 'weight saving' materials on the exterior are pretty plasticky too...

Post #321690 7th Apr 2015 9:27pm
Paul J.

England 

Phil. wrote:
Paul J. wrote:

Completely disagree. There's only about 5% weight difference at fully laden between the 3.0d and the 4.4d/5.0SC (150-200kg). Having driven L405's with and without the adaptive suspension, their ride quality/cornering is incomparable. If LR fitted the adaptive suspension to the 3.0d as do to the RRS (especially if it was the updated 3.0d version) it would be the sweet spot in the range for me.

We'll have to agree to disagree then Thumbs Up

I test drove both the 3.0 without, and the 4.4 with, and didn't feel that the former handled in a diminished manner. Don't forget that the 150-200 kg you mention is resting in the nose, and it is this weight in this position that the adaptive suspension is designed to deal with.

BTW, not sure about the 5% calculations; you must have a very full boot, roof box and four portly passengers Laughing

Post #321702 7th Apr 2015 10:10pm

United Kingdom 

Although the 3.0 handles much better than the L322 it still rolls heavily in the corners compared to the 4.4 or 5.0.

Post #321723 8th Apr 2015 7:42am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

IMHO - i quiet often confuse the L405 with the new Sport - the car has a lack of road presence - despite it is the newer car... Confused Sheep All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #321727 8th Apr 2015 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>