Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > DVLA... Boo! Hiss!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Fox

United Kingdom 
DVLA... Boo! Hiss!

Looks like another 10 days before I get my 08 FFRR, due to DVLA paperwork on the reg number. Sad

Post #29811 29th Sep 2010 11:46am
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I was impressed with my local DVLA office when re registering my vehicle, 30 mins waiting room, 10 minutes to sort. I thought I'd be hours! Very Happy

Post #29812 29th Sep 2010 11:50am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sorry to here that FOX, i bet you feel really p*ssed off .......... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #29814 29th Sep 2010 11:53am
Fox

United Kingdom 

I'm not happy, Sad but it's not the end of the world.

At least it'll have 1000 less miles on it, as I'll put them on the old one first. Thumbs Up

EDIT: The issue was the private reg to come off the other car, mine to come off mine and then mine to go on the other one... seems a bit complicated for someone. Rolling Eyes

Post #29817 29th Sep 2010 12:26pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I don't see what the problem is.

Why didn't you just take the new vehicle with its existing reg, and wait while your old number was put on retention and then just transfer it over when the certificate / retention docs came through - thats what everyone else does. It would just mean that you would be running your new vehicle with an age related number on it for a couple of weeks or so.

A private plate coming off your new car can be done there and then by DVLA if the dealer goes into the DVLA Office and replaced with either its original age related plate or a new age related plate. They will then place the old plates on retention and these can be then placed on the intended recipient vehicles once the certificates come through.

Once you have a retention certificate (which usually takes a couple of weeks to come through) you can usually just go straight to your divisional office and transfer it over to the new host vehicle there and then - assuming you have a set of plates made up.

Is it your dealer making a meal of it or didn't you want the vehicle with her old plates on for a few weeks?

Post #29826 29th Sep 2010 2:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Vogue Thumbs Up that is the easiest way if your DVLA doesn't have queues out the door. Recently I visited the new DVLA office in Edinburgh. A vast improvement over the old place which was more like the sort of prison visiting room you see on TV. The new place had a queue but also two meeters and greeters to help out, took me an hour to drive there, an hour back and 10 minutes to do the transfer, even though they wanted to see the car, there was more than enough on site free parking too whereas the old office at Sighthill had about 6 parking places! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #29828 29th Sep 2010 2:59pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Sighthill in Edinburgh

Even the Pidgeons fly upside down over it coz there is F Censored K all worth Censored on ......... Laughing Laughing

Post #29831 29th Sep 2010 3:11pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Hi Tim,

yes I know it can involve queing, but they will do it if you are prepared to wait - I've never been turned away yet otherwise DVLA are impacting on motor trade sales etc.

Personally, imho thats what we pay dealers for, its up to them to make sure the transfer and sale goes smoothly without unreasonable hold ups - if they want a sale they have to go and endure a small wait - my dealer goes down once or twice a week and does a batch of cars all at once.

As the transfer process can seem quite daunting to those not in the know, dealers can more often than not take the easy option and just post the docs off - which has for me on several occasions taken 6 to 8 weeks - all because the lazy salesman couldn't be bothered with a bit of additional work and a wait in the DVLA office. The salesman then blames the DVLA...

Post #29833 29th Sep 2010 3:13pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Correct Vogue Thumbs Up my sentiments exactly ........

Post #29837 29th Sep 2010 3:16pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

X3!!!

Just removed the Plate from the MINI i am selling Whistle Ad in the FS section BTW Wink

Went to DVLA and got sorted straight away. Paper work arrived a couple of days later and easy. Went within half hour of closing and no delays or waiting etc... Thumbs Up

Last edited by Full fat not diet on 29th Sep 2010 3:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #29841 29th Sep 2010 3:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The problem for me is I'm am impulse buyer, I buy and want it NOW, not next week so do the transfers myself and even as am amateur, the Hellers in Edinburgh guide you through the paperwork and then tell which of their colleagues will deal with you and take your money. A vast improvement over what it used to be and I agree you needed to be in the trade to get anywhere quickly in the system. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #29842 29th Sep 2010 3:42pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I usually do it myself, but the dealer was happy to do it. However, when they sent a lacky to the local DVLA office someone there decided it was complicated and had to be sent off...

Now after a phone enquiry as docs were sent off it's turned into a 10 day delay. Rolling Eyes

Dealer and myself originally expected docs to come back from the local office and job's a good 'un. But once you let them send the stuff off you are screwed.

The dealer can't let the 08 car go as it has no tax on it. The V5c has gone off to the DVLA so it can't now be taxed. So we are left with little option but to wait for the reg swap and new tax disk.

What seems to have confused the DVLA (not sure why?) is because the reg from mine was going on the 08 plate, which already had an old E reg private plate on that also had to be taken off, put on retention for the last keeper of that. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but according to someone there they have to both be put on retention seperately then mine instantly put on the 08 by the DVLA, hence the docs going off.

All I know is it sounds weird.
I wish I had not handed over all the paperwork as now I am in the hands of others. Which means no choice but to wait.

Post #29846 29th Sep 2010 4:21pm
Full fat not diet

Crying or Very sad

Oh Well, the wait will be worth it and all this pain forgotten once you fire up the TDV8 Mr. Green

Post #29848 29th Sep 2010 4:24pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Yes, but in the meantime I spend more time with the Td6 and realise how much better value it is. Laughing

Post #29850 29th Sep 2010 4:25pm
Full fat not diet

I thought your TD6 was a great buy for someone.

A lot of car for the money.

Today, I was behind a mint 2003 which the owner obviously cherished. Probally worth the same as a newish Mondeo but he felt the Dogs Censored Looked out for the forum sticker but no joy. He sat there feeling special and spotted me and gave me the reassured nod of approval. Thumbs Up

Post #29851 29th Sep 2010 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>