Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Trans failsafe prog
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimmy C

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Trans failsafe prog

Had a good read but can't find an answer, pulled up to park selected reverse and bong got the Trans message.
Stopped and restarted and the front raised a bit all ok, driving about 25 miles it flashed up once, got home turned off got the message again however all this time the car drives and goes through gears lovely as normal???
Is it a case of plug in and just try resetting as all seems well?

Post #324038 23rd Apr 2015 7:39pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine did that repeatedly before it started locking in 4th, then.... new gearbox...

Get the fluid and filter changed, it may help... I managed to get quite a bit more time out of it by changing the oil but the end was inevitable....

Worth seeing if there are any faults up, could just be one of the speed sensors if your lucky.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #324061 23rd Apr 2015 9:13pm
Jimmy C

Shocked that does'nt sound to good but I've just turned 102,000 so wouldnt be surprised according to all I've read.
coming to to work this morning about 15 miles no bongs or messages even when switched off, will get it plugged in to see if ther are any faults...and start saving quickly Neutral

Post #324100 24th Apr 2015 7:38am
Jimmy C

Ok here goes... Went to Indy today and plugged in, no gearbox codes at all but lots of transfer box codes, cleared them and went down the road, stopped selected reverse BONG got the message again so straight back to garage plug in and again no gearbox codes but 2 transfer box codes which are.....

Ox5221 sensor short circuit to battery

Ox5223 noise on actuator signal

The car is still driving and changing gear nicely but the bonging is driving me mad, so for those of you in th know have I got big problems? Or anyone have any idea what I need to do to cure theses problems?

Battery tested and all seems good there.

@RRphill

Post #324185 24th Apr 2015 4:14pm
Joe90

England 

As you are not changing from high to low ratio, there is no logical reason why the transfer box is firing codes and faults at you, but it does.

As a test, try disconnecting the lead at the transfer box motor, clear the codes/faults and drive about a bit, going into reverse etc. If no faults then points to transfer box motor. If you still get codes, could be the transfer box ECU (unlikely) or the high low ratio switch.

n.b. can't remember if the car gives you a fault just for having the lead disconnected, but seem to remember doing something similar a few years ago with no problem.

Transfer box motor may need to come off and apart, bench test, clean up the contacts on the potentiometer. Mine was in a shocking state! (new ones are stupid money!)

You could also try changing from high to low a few times, but a word of caution, if it sticks in low you will have a slow journey to the indie if you can't wind it back to high! If it goes back and forth to high and low OK, this might sort things?

The transfer box ECU is tucked away behind the battery. You can check the plausibility of the wiring from the ECU to the transfer box motor if you want?

Get a diagnostic tool so you can play with car at home, otherwise indie costs/patience will start to rise! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #324202 24th Apr 2015 5:07pm
Jimmy C

Thanks for the reply a few things I can try, first being hi lo switch a few times then try disconnecting the lead from motor, I'm not a mech but I'm sure I can work it out, will report back after giving it a go tomorrow

Post #324215 24th Apr 2015 6:04pm
Jimmy C

I'm still driving it is this ok?.

Post #324218 24th Apr 2015 6:09pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Certainly sounds like your transfer box shift motor potentiometer is playing up.

Phil

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #324220 24th Apr 2015 6:13pm
Jimmy C

Cheers Phil , is this a part that can be changed?

Post #324223 24th Apr 2015 6:33pm
Joe90

England 

No, AFAIK, unless the guy on landrovers.net has finally come through with his re-manufacture.... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #324263 24th Apr 2015 10:45pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I had exactly the same with my TD6.

Joe90 wrote:
n.b. can't remember if the car gives you a fault just for having the lead disconnected, but seem to remember doing something similar a few years ago with no problem.

When I unplugged my TSM. I would get the dash TFSP message at every ignition on / start but only the once and then it would go and not come back.

Joe90 wrote:
.....but a word of caution, if it sticks in low you will have a slow journey to the indie if you can't wind it back to high!

Yep - I can second that!! Whistle

As per this video, I took my TSM off, put 12V to it and let it run for 5 minutes.

It never actually worked after than in terms of shifting between low and high ratios but equally it never threw another dash fault either!

Other things to consider are battery and / or alternator charging fluctuations, sometimes they can throw a fault on these very voltage sensitive cars.

Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #324322 25th Apr 2015 11:49am
Jimmy C

Well its intermittent at the moment, so took a chance and tried changing from hi to low a few times and All works at it should
Will see if I get the message when I drive it again😬

Post #324334 25th Apr 2015 1:51pm
Jimmy C

Well after a couple of months the dreaded message is back! Stil driving and changing gear nicely sometimes hi to lo works other it doesn't ignition off and on again and all is well apart from constant messages.
Do I unplug transfer motor power and live with it till I can sort another, ? Can it be tested easily just to prove it is the potentiometer?

Post #335735 3rd Jul 2015 7:35pm
Jimmy C

Well tried a lo-hi today just left with lo range flashing on the dash and selector doing nothing and stuck in lo, with a bit of messing,...eventually it did work and with the transfer motor running for about 10 seconds + it clonked back in hi range and thats where it'll be staying!! gears still change perfectly still so i guess my transfer motor is goosed?

Post #336058 6th Jul 2015 8:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1