Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear diff locked up 3.6TDV8? Problem....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would just to be on the safe side Ed Thumbs Up

Just a quick thought? How long have you had the GY tyres fitted for? Could the slight symptoms your feeling now be the tyres fighting that clutch arrangement? As i stated above, I’m NO trans expert but the guys did say “the only time they see this issue is when knobbly type tyres are fitted”

Just food for thought Ed Thumbs Up

Post #358879 26th Nov 2015 10:47am
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

A valid coincidence with the tyres - they were fitted on the 24th of August. I suppose it is a possibility that the ECU is detecting the wheels have less traction and therefore partially locking up the LSD.

Interestingly when I have heard the clunks since coming back from yours it's usually been on "decent "acceleration out of a corner so perhaps the ECU is detecting that scenario.

Unfortunately I don't have another set of tyres to try out but I shall see what I find tonight. Ed

Post #358881 26th Nov 2015 10:55am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Glad I've got the earlier FF then, what with less comfy seats, far more rust, diffs, and now transfer boxes filing with water the later ones seem to be a step backwards....

I sympathise, but will sit here with a smug grin (until something on mine breaks) Whistle Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #358886 26th Nov 2015 11:54am
sako243

Ah the price of us being pioneers Rolling Eyes
If / when / maybe if I move house I'm tempted to build a logger and record when all the various sensors are doing on the 322 and then make my own monolithic ECU that controls the whole car.

Then perhaps transplant / widen a Defender body onto the RR's running train and call it the Deranger / Deranged.

One difference is (I vaguely remember reading from one of RRPhil's posts) I think that your diff can't technically lock up completely - it's only limited slip and then the traction control can do most of it. Whereas the DD295 can truly lock up.

What's interesting though is that the diff in mine is in use on the D3 and D4 as well and I haven't come across these problems relating to those. Maybe the water was a bit deeper than I thought given I don't have any raised intake or anything like that... Ed

Post #358895 26th Nov 2015 12:47pm
Haylands

Maybe but I can't see it pulling in water even if the pipe had come off the breather and it was totally under water, the breather is (well should be) the only link to the outside world so water won't pour in, a very small amount may find it's way in but not enough to do much...

It does seem very weird....

And yes mine is only an LSD, it does seem to cope pretty well, the only times I've had trouble is on hills that are too steep and all the wheels are spinning and the winch comes out then.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #359049 26th Nov 2015 7:14pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Which leads us back to long term condensation Pete???

That's what I have sumised with the rear diff water ingress issues seen on so many SC/TDV8's...?

Feasible? Again I'm no expert when it comes to final drive/trans issues... But water ingress seems to be very common on newer models to yours...

Post #359050 26th Nov 2015 7:20pm
Pvw10

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

sako243 wrote:
Right some more (lack of) progress:

Summary
- brake warning light is permanently illuminated in red
- ABS warning light is permanently illuminated in orange
- DSC warning light is permanently illuminated in orange

On switching on ignition:
- HDC system unavailable

After a short while - usually after driving a short while
- Suspension lowered

When IID tool is plugged in get:
- Invalid data received from ECM, TCM, and VDS
- Valve relay supply fault

Monitoring live values shows four sensible wheel speed values so suspect it's not a sensor but could be wrong.
Plugging it into a local garage's diagnostic system he couldn't force the compressor to come on and was showing 0V on the system (Autologics). However I have heard the compressor come on since then and I don't trust the garage particularly since he was the one that made my 110's turbo self destruct by leaving a washer in the intake. But was the only one available today.

No signs of water ingress anywhere and all cables from wheel end into connector blocks seems fine. Can't remember whether the brake wear sensors were broken or not. All fuses are fine.

I had those exact warning lights in that sequence, it was an abs sensor Many thanks
Paul

Post #359057 26th Nov 2015 7:52pm
Haylands

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Which leads us back to long term condensation Pete???

I agree Craig but I think there are two things going on... can't see the centre diff making the inside rear wheel skip, it would make the easiest one, the outside one, skip....

I still recon it's an ABS sensor giving faulty signals to the ECU and it's trying to lock a wheel as it thinks it's spinning, mine did the exact same thing and now Pvw10 says his did the same I'd be inclined to check them...

Can you get live date from them individually on yours, I don't think the earlier ones can... mine was the nearside rear and that one does the speedo so I had a good indication of it's erratic nature by loosing the speedo and variable rate power steering... as you don't have these faults as well then I recon it's the off side rear sensor... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #359078 26th Nov 2015 9:53pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Pete, with all due respect my friend, the car was driving fine when returned! The centre diff oil was badly contaminated with water!

Nothing to do with ABS sensors Pete!

Remember FL1 when the centre viscous coupling seized and those symptoms! Very similar scinareo with Ed's issues Pete... Maybe made worse by his tyres? Maybe bought on by water ingress? Maybe a mixture of both? Would love to try another set of tyres if as add says the issue is still there slightly?

Post #359080 26th Nov 2015 10:17pm
sako243

Pete,

My IIDTool can read individual wheel speed sensors. When I tried it out in the field in Wales (only able to get up to ~20mph) they were all reading about the same, there was the odd slight variation of ~1mph sometimes but I would expect that. I might try and keep an eye on them tomorrow on the way to work if I can. But basically they all looked OK - I gave all the electrical connectors a good going over and there was no sign of damage or water ingress on the sensors.

Although Craig has pointed out I need (as I was intending to once I finished the trip) to change the oil in the diffs. Perhaps if that's contaminated then it can be affecting the wheel speed sensors. Regardless, what Craig has said is true - there were no knocks like what I experienced after Strata. There is, perhaps, something back now but difficult to tell since it's intermittent and much softer.

First port of call is to change all the oils either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll get to see the oils then and see whether it eliminates things all together. If not I might see if I can pull some strings with my contacts in the dev teams at JLR Razz Ed

Post #359087 26th Nov 2015 11:22pm
Haylands

Sorry, read it wrong, thought it was still a problem... yep, I suppose water in the diffs and tranny box can do all sorts of things, If it's just doing it a tad then a good flush out will hopefully sort it.... I left the tide mark just above the door pocket on mine to remind me not to go swimming.... Whistle Whistle

Might be worth drilling another vent hole somewhere in the casings and running one of them to an engine vacuum pipe to keep the diffs clear of moisture and avoid the condensation... Pete

Post #359090 26th Nov 2015 11:33pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Applying a vacuum/low pressure to a diff or TC is exactly the opposite to what is required to keep water out when submerged. Cooling of a diff or TC housing whilst submerged causes water to be sucked in past seals as the inside pressure lowers. Don't enter deep water with hot transmission components!

Post #359247 27th Nov 2015 8:35pm
Haylands

I meant to keep condensation out, change the air in there all the time and it should work... works to keep it out of distributor caps...

The vacuum is so low I can't see it sucking water past seals anyway, and it won't because you have the original breather in place that lets air into the diff at the same time.... the vacuum will take the easy way out which is from the breather...... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #359254 27th Nov 2015 10:17pm
sako243

Well changed the oil in the transfer box this evening and it was pretty dire. Tiny metal particles in there as well by the looks of it. Might do another change in a few weeks to see how it looks.

Haven't recalibrated yet, was going to drive it for a couple of days first to see how it behaves with the new oil.

Diffs tomorrow hopefully. Ed

Post #359278 27th Nov 2015 11:16pm
Haylands

Hope it's OK.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #359283 27th Nov 2015 11:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>