Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Tesla
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

And the price makes it look like a new L405 Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #361614 11th Dec 2015 12:31am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Exactly but with the crucial Free Fuel bit missing from the L405 Very Happy

They do tempt me massively but even semi sensible me is thinking the money is better saved for a house Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #361680 11th Dec 2015 12:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Free Fuel Where? Just because the Tesla don't use Petrol or Derv, don't mean it doesn't cost you to run it, unless you get free Electricity...... which last time I looked was less that legal, or relied on green power which is less than reliable..... I'm not sure of the costs involved, but something in the back of my mind has the figure of 8 kW supply to recharge in anything less than a day.... soon adds up Shocked

I wonder how many Greenies have brought their eco friendly lecy cars, run them around with a smug look on their faces, and have had to pick themselves up off the floor when the electric bill has arrived............ just because you don't have to pay at the time of use, doesn't make it free Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361683 11th Dec 2015 12:15pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Mr. Green Have a look at this....... I think its time for me to look Mr. Green

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28054738

Andrew Fenwick-Green, marketing secretary of the Electric Vehicle Drivers Association, drives a Nissan Leaf. He said: "A gallon of diesel for most eco-diesels will cost you £6.30 and get you around 60 miles.
"A 30-minute rapid charge in my Nissan Leaf would give you a range of 64 miles. So we're paying an extra £1.20 more to get the same mileage. It's madness... if the rapid chargers go up to £7.50 we're going to kill the market at a stroke".

There is no such thing as free, except air, and even now the bloody garages have found a way of charging for that too Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361686 11th Dec 2015 12:23pm
kingpleb

The rapid chargers for a leaf at a delaership or other such places are free.
Tesla superchargers are also free so if you live or drive past one you can just hook up for 30mins to get the big boost and then trickle charge at home.
They are billed as free fuel and there are some that do it with 0 cost by doing it that way Smile worth it IMO if you are a few miles from a super charger. My normal commute takes me past one everyday so 30mins every other day on the way home to keep it topped up wouldn't be too much to task instead of filling my tank with veg oil once or twice a month Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #361689 11th Dec 2015 1:00pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Basically, it's fine as long as you have time on your hands, but still, the electricity won't stay free, not long term, and some of the cost has also been added to the vehicle. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #361694 11th Dec 2015 1:23pm
kingpleb

True to a certain extent but I don't think the superchargers and such will ever be as expensive as normal lectric.

And there's always the chance to charge it up at work if you want Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #361695 11th Dec 2015 1:30pm
rangeseb

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

that screen is over the top!

its a proper "please look at me" moment going on there.

I'd rather have a Jag, well i personally think these cars are trying to look like them.

Post #361698 11th Dec 2015 1:59pm
kingpleb

The screen replaces a lot of nobs, switches and buttons with the display Smile TBH its teh way more and more cars are going to go as its cheaper and easier to stick a screen in than a load of switches Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #361705 11th Dec 2015 2:40pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

IMHO there is no way that I could spend 30 minutes filling up the car everyday, 2 minutes is quite enough, plus for that 30 minutes you get enough electricity to cover 64 miles Shocked 2 minutes at the pump and I can go for 600 miles, with the lights on and the heating Mr. Green

What happens if you run out of electricity ? the nice man in a yellow van can't just pull up and pour a can full in to your battery.... Sad

What happens when your in a rush and you get to charging point and find that every one is in use.... that's just added 30 minutes to your 30 minute stop Banging Head

And how do you think an electric car would respond to towing? recon you'd be at the charging point rather a lot Whistle

Nice idea, but way off the mark as far as practicality goes, if they were sooooooo gooooood then they'd still be making them from the turn of the twentieth century..... even milk floats are Diesel Shocked Until they invent mini cold fusion reactors or warp drive, you will either be tethered to a fossil fuel engine or a very very long extension lead Laughing Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361710 11th Dec 2015 3:01pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

More Censored touchscreens. Mad

Give me a button/switch any day! What pillock thought that instead of easy to understand, labelled buttons, a series of menus and settings on a screen was better. It's just slower, less intuitive and less reliable. I used to think they were a great solution for everything; well...the novelty has long since worn off. Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong, for some things, a screen is great, but we still need buttons! Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #361713 11th Dec 2015 3:09pm
kingpleb

miggit wrote:
IMHO there is no way that I could spend 30 minutes filling up the car everyday, 2 minutes is quite enough, plus for that 30 minutes you get enough electricity to cover 64 miles Shocked 2 minutes at the pump and I can go for 600 miles, with the lights on and the heating Mr. Green

What happens if you run out of electricity ? the nice man in a yellow van can't just pull up and pour a can full in to your battery.... Sad

What happens when your in a rush and you get to charging point and find that every one is in use.... that's just added 30 minutes to your 30 minute stop Banging Head

And how do you think an electric car would respond to towing? recon you'd be at the charging point rather a lot Whistle

Nice idea, but way off the mark as far as practicality goes, if they were sooooooo gooooood then they'd still be making them from the turn of the twentieth century..... even milk floats are Diesel Shocked Until they invent mini cold fusion reactors or warp drive, you will either be tethered to a fossil fuel engine or a very very long extension lead Laughing

It just requires very little thought to be honest. You get home and pop it on the charger on the night time rate and job done for morning. They are looking to make this even easier with inductive charging which some electric buses now use.

TBH 30mins out of my evening commute wouldn't kill me, sit there and catchup with calls or emails or just facebook et all, simples.
They do monitor stations and i know tesla for one adds more stations if a site is busy a lot of the time as they want a good user experience.
Its like any new technology out there, the early adopters will be the winners in the long run as they will already be used to it.

Towing would be like towing your rangey, not fun but if power isn't going to the motors they aren't going to cause issue and i'll bet there is a fuse or such to disengage anything to aid with towing. Lets be honest, if its more than a few miles most people get plonked on a flat bed anyway.

Yes the AA man couldn't come along and just give you 5 litres of fuel (enough to get the average rangey 15-30miles at best) but in the future they will likely have capacitor based battery packs and quick chargers on board that will give a 15-30min boost and job done.

If your doing 200+ mile trips everyday or a lot of the time they wont be the car for you until the ranges are extended or more charge stations come online but for my type of driving i'd be more than happy with one as i could get a fair amount of the juice i need for free with no big impact and trickle over night or at offices, and for longer journeys still use another one of my cars Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #361719 11th Dec 2015 3:31pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

It's sort of progress Shocked By using a screen they can run most of the wiring in thin wire and save on cost, but there is a flip side, in a simple system with a micro switch you still need a relay to turn on the item, and now you have twice as much to go wrong....... add a screen into the mix and you'll have to add an interface as well so that's 3 things to go wrong.... and so on, I have yet to come across a single switch in my ffrr that actually acts directly on the item that its' switching...... is it any wonder why these cars can be a nightmare when the electrical gremlins get a foot in the door ?

Prime example the headlight switch, in the good old days it was a match Laughing , sorry wrong car Embarassed . The switch would supply power to the lights via the indicator stalk, if you pulled the switch out the lights wouldn't work..... Having taken the dash top the ffrr I know that when you disconnect the headlamp switch the lights come on Shocked So the ffrr's lights are on all the time and the switch turns them off...... which Muppet thought that would be a good idea?, if your switch fails now, you have to remove the battery to turn the bloody things off, progress?? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361720 11th Dec 2015 3:33pm
kingpleb

Lost for Words wrote:
More Censored touchscreens. Mad

Give me a button/switch any day! What pillock thought that instead of easy to understand, labelled buttons, a series of menus and settings on a screen was better. It's just slower, less intuitive and less reliable. I used to think they were a great solution for everything; well...the novelty has long since worn off. Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong, for some things, a screen is great, but we still need buttons!

To be honest it depends on how the UI is setup and the processor on the back, i very much doubt its based on a cheap £100 tablet from ebay. Users do have complaints about the cars but they are a new breed.
I wonder how the complaints stack up against £100k FF's where there is a risk of the door opening at speed on the motorway, Panoramic roofs crack, Brake lines have a chance of blowing apart, or even start rusting due to design within their bodywork warranty Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #361723 11th Dec 2015 3:35pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Towing Shocked I didn't mean when you were having a Embarassed Banging Head Banging Head moment, I was referring to when you took the tin tent for a jolly or the horse for a fun day out......... 30 minutes = 64 miles in a normal car, how far will 30 minutes get you if you add 3 tons train weight..... not very far at all.

If you live in a city and work within a few miles of home then I can see an electric car being feasible, but bearing in mind that most of the peep's on here got a ffrr for a reason other that temporary insanity, if would be fair to assume that they either lived in the middle of nowhere or they like to take the horse for a road trip every now and then.... and this is where the electrical car starts to falter.... and then you get peep's like me who use the ffrr as a work tool, doing what it was intended for towing and going offroad, there is no way that I could work if I had to stop every 60 miles for a 30 minute top up. Which is why the Fisker looks better to me, massive mpg, the option of free power if a point is available, but unlimited range because it uses fossil fuel to generate power, on board Thumbs Up But having seen the towing capacity figures for the Hybrid Range Rover Sad That's got a long way to go too. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #361724 11th Dec 2015 3:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>