Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 22 inch turbine style Ride Quality and tyre pressures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 
22 inch turbine style Ride Quality and tyre pressures

I have the 22 inch wheels on my AB , I think they were called style 7s. Anyway, ride quality has always been appalling relative to my previous 20 Range Rovers and the noise on bad surfaces is like being in a concrete mixer. It is ok on millpond brand new hi grade Tarmac but anything other than that is almost unbearable. I had got used to it, largely by turning up the radio but since I have had new tyres all round it's worse. I wonder what others have found to be the best tyre pressure to run these wheels at? I rarely have 5 people and a boot load of luggage but I do tow a car trailer quite a bit. I would change the wheels but they just look great. My wife has a E class cabriolet on low profile tyres and when I bought that I had a l322 and thought the Merc was dreadful over bad roads as being a cabriolet you get scuttle shake. Well yesterday I drove her car along one of my worse roads in the L405 and it's ride quality was way in front of my £100,000 Rangie. Marvellous. Anyway interested in all your comments and observations as always. Thx 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

1972 Suffix A fully restored 2 door

1970, chassis number 26 the first of the press launch cars, Masai Red

2013 4.4SDV8 Autobiograpahy

Post #363449 22nd Dec 2015 11:58am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi, I've just sold my 2013 AB, which had 22" type 6 wheels and continental tyres and found the ride generally fine but I wouldn't have wanted it any harder. whenever it was just me and the wife as is the norm I'd always go for the recommended psi, putting more in just for trips where I was carrying weight.

So this time when I decided to buy again I specifically went for the one recommended to me by a dealer. These were the 21" two tone diamond turned wheels and the difference in ride quality is remarkable. Much, much more than I'd anticipated; infact I'd go as far to say that it's transformed the ride and general serenity.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about my friend has the L322 with 20 inch wheels and I would say that my 22's were of similar level of compliance and comfort (although once when he'd left too much air in his tyres they were pretty harsh). Now running on the 21's it just feels more restful, refined and quieter. There will be many who want the added performance benefits of the 22's (and they do look good) but honestly the 21's are a fantastic compromise. I can only imagine what the 20's run like but as I said it's a trade off as I'm not keen on the standard 20's.

My advice would be to get yourself a test drive in a 405 with 21's and then if you are as impressed as I am you could always buy a set and sell yours and I guess financially you'd come out in front on the deal Thumbs Up

Last edited by Basilfawlty on 22nd Dec 2015 9:44pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #363459 22nd Dec 2015 1:02pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

thank you for the feedback. I am aware of the fact that it will be more complaint on the smaller wheels, and to be completely frank, once I had seen the 22 inch style 7s on the car there was no going back for me. BUT , I am still surprised that Land Rover let out a car with such a compromised ride as it is on the 22's. Anyway, I only have myself to blame but I am going to stick with wheels I have. I would be interested though if anyone has the same issue, of course it could be something else such as the ARB on the front that is making matters worse. I was fobbed off by my local dealer on the ARB issue. I will lower the pressures a bit and see how I get along. I have managed 22,000 miles so far, it just seems worse all of a sudden, perhaps the tyre shop put the pressures up too high. Apart from that and the wretched stink from the FBH its a marvellous machine, and I can't see me changing it for anything other than another one 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #363481 22nd Dec 2015 3:35pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

If it seems to have got worse of late it cant be because of the 22" rims. There must be another problem.

Post #363484 22nd Dec 2015 3:59pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I wouldn't say the ride of my car with the 22's was compromised. It was generally comfortable but I'm no racer so wouldn't have wanted it any firmer as for me a Range Rover needs to feel cosseting.

I'd be interested to know what pressures are in the tyres then and whether they are like for like replacements? Whistle

Post #363485 22nd Dec 2015 4:10pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

ok, by compromised I mean, it handles very well for a FF but it loses compliance as a result. Anyway, I have just awarded myself the XMAS Dunce award for posting first and checking tyre pressures second. I just popped back to the tyre shop and he had 32 in the front, which is ok, but 40 in the rear. we knocked that down to 36 and it feels rather better just on the short hop back home. I think that was the problem. Still doesn't get away from the awful resonance or drumming from the wheels on certain motorway surfaces, but something I am happy to put up with for the look and performance of the tyres on the twisty bits. I drove it from Kent to Edinburgh when I first got it , and the advances from the L322 were most noticeable to me. The road from Durham to Edinburgh was really quite amazing when you think how big the car is, it performed superbly on that sort of road. Happier now , thanks for the contributions and have a great XMAS . 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Last edited by vanquishspirit on 22nd Dec 2015 7:38pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #363502 22nd Dec 2015 5:41pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

My previous 2013 AB with 22s suffered awful road noise, drumming etc. The current 14 car was noticeably quieter on exactly the same size and make of tyre. There was a note in the 2013 brochure that the 22 tyres 'might' be noisier.

I notice that tyre dealers are offering a super silent version of the Continental tyre. I cannot see anything on my tyres to signify that they might be these.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #363510 22nd Dec 2015 6:37pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If it's worse with new tyres, it's possible that you got the wrong ones - Conti do 2 different tyres in 275 240 22 - there's a regular and a ContiSilent

I've not noticed too much of a problem - maybe I just drive fast enough that the wind noise drowns it out Whistle

All you can really do is test drive another - that will tell you whether it's just the way it is with 22's or a problem with your car Thumbs Up

Post #363534 22nd Dec 2015 9:08pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Unnecessary quote removed

Have to say that these are my favourite wheels on the L405. I have the 22" turbine wheels, but would happily swap them for these wheels, even more so if it makes a significant difference to the ride.

If I could justify running winter tyres, then I'd do it in a shot. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #363542 22nd Dec 2015 9:25pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's a few sets on eBay - new take off's for around £1500

There have been some used ones on for quite a lot less, but don't see any at the moment

So it depends how good your 22's are - but you could probably swap for not much (if any) money

Post #363551 22nd Dec 2015 10:09pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I have the 22 Style 7 wheels with Continental tyres, both summer and currently running the recommended winter tyres. Car is very comfortable and handles way better than my previous L322 5.0 SC on 20's.
My dealer recommended the following tyre pressures in BAR whatever that is in psi: 2.5 all-round and with luggage and a car full of people 2.5 front, 2.7 rear.

Post #363578 23rd Dec 2015 7:34am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

i totally agree with you CSK. Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #363580 23rd Dec 2015 8:23am
Badger

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey

I had the 22's on my first L405 and was appalled with the compromised ride quality. They look fantastic but horrible ride.
When I changed it a year later, I went down to the 21" wheels and they are much much better.
Also I would avoid the diamond turned finish wheels as I suspect they will scuff and be more difficult to restore
HTH

Post #363975 25th Dec 2015 11:21pm
JasM

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I have to admit I find the ride quality on 22"'s not great. Sad

My L405 originally came with 21"'s fitted and the ride quality was much better. 2014 SDV8 Autobiography Cool

Gone: 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE, 2007 RRS TDV6 HSE

Post #363980 26th Dec 2015 12:31am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

thanks for the feedback guys when i get one (soon i hope) it will be 21" s for me Thumbs Up

Post #363981 26th Dec 2015 12:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>