Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Vred winter tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
Vred winter tyres?

Gents about to replace my pirelli winters and wondered if the red wintry extremes are any good - my tyre man can get Goodyear or Pirellis this weekend and I am off on Monday early - so any pointers welcome

Post #367077 14th Jan 2016 6:15pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Have you been happy with the Pirellis ?

There's not many people who have experience of winter tyres, let alone more than one brand - though there was a thread recently from someone who had - I will try to find it.

I had Vreds on my L322 & they were fine - way better than the michelin summer tyres
On my L405 I have Conti winters - which seem fine, but have not been properly tested yet as it's been so mild.....

I don't think you will go far wrong with any of them - they are all well respected brands.

Post #367078 14th Jan 2016 6:20pm
Alistair

Here you go - Andra's comments Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34638.html

Post #367079 14th Jan 2016 6:22pm
Sandyt

To be honest the pirellis have been brilliant just left it too late to change them now can't get them done till next week or I go for the Vreds the pirellis still have about 3 to 4 mm so need replacing really might wait till next week and try the Goodyear ultra G - its just been so warm and I have been out the country so all my own fault haha
Did look at the Contis look a good tyre

Post #367080 14th Jan 2016 6:24pm
Sandyt

Thanks Alistair says it all really will wait till next week and put Pirellis or Goodyear on
Ta

Post #367084 14th Jan 2016 6:29pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

FYI 19" vreds are now a wee cheapie bargain!

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?...p=R-130212 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #367174 15th Jan 2016 11:51am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I was very happy with Vred 19 inch on my Td6 for the last 2 winters plus they were good in very wet weather.
Unfortunately the 19 inch wheels won't fit my 2011 so I will be getting some 20 inch next year.

Post #367177 15th Jan 2016 12:08pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Hi I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winters put on my 20" wheels a couple of weeks before Xmas and was beginning to think it may have been not the best investment for this mild weather however with a few weeks of water logged roads and much mud on my normal commute roads from. Sugar beet harvesting they have been excellent when I know my normal all season Pirelli Scorpions would have had the RR heading in all directions . Then last night coming away from the high ground in Suffolk we had a mini blizzard and the slush and again muddy roads put the Pirelli winters into their element, I used Tyremen in Hull they delivered to a local garage I use and they were fitted the third day after ordering, they were a good price and had my Customer records from 3 years ago when I ordered Vreds Wintrac 4s, which were good also but gave me a strange rear wheel steer feeling on dry roads but that could have been due to four wheel tracking being off. I do prefer the Pirelli Winters but due to reviews am not expecting them to last as long as the Vreds which never seemed to wear out even keeping them on from Oct to May with lots of dry road mileage.
I was in Prague in Nov and every vehicle had full winter tyres from top Merc limos to the most beat up delivery vans, just an observation as. They say Winters start performing below 7 degrees and most winter are below that.
Hope this assists with your choice.
Paul

Footnote the Wife's Evogue shod on Crappynentals cross contact will be staying in the drive while there is white stuff on the roads I just do not understand how Landrover can fit these inferior performing tyres to a Range Rover I have heard that they are not fitted to any RR heading over to the US from someone within LR! Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #367179 15th Jan 2016 12:27pm
Alistair

What's wrong with Contis ? they seem like a fairly decent tyre to me - what would you fit instead that would be better across all seasons ?

Post #367213 15th Jan 2016 3:15pm
Montys 4x4

Hi Alistair,
To answer the which tyre Q. I would fit the Pirelli Verde all season to our Evoque as we did to our first Evogue. The contis it came with were terrible in any standing water situation pulling the car off line and never inspired confidence on frosty roads. I fitted Verdes as soon as was possible and that transformed the handling and ride. Unfortunately our NEW Evogue came with the same rubbish Conti cross contact, others vehicles in the delivery at the dealership had Michelins but as they were Customer cars the dealership would not entertain swooping the tyres/wheels as was correct. I then contacted Land Rover Customer and discussed with them why tyres type were not a selectable option as we live in a village which at this time of year has mud tracks and water logged roads in and out. We have now completed 9000 miles and rear Conti tyres have cracks in the side walls which are down to be addressed when it goes In for servicing and other warranty work next week.

There is a but, my L322 Westminster is shod with Conti cross contact and apart from high wear rate have not given me any traumatic events in standing water conditions but did leave me struggling to get off Norfolk show ground grassed parking area in sodden ground conditions last winter and all tyres were nearly new. In the summer grip with them was first rate.FFRR work horse has the Pirelli Scorpion Winters and last night on black ice roads that had not been gritted by Norfolk or Suffolk councils gave excellent feedback when the road was just wet or icy.

When I discussed tyres with the LR Customer Satisfaction Manager at a freeby LR posh dinner he let slip due to Continental tyre recalls in the US Landrover were not fitting Continental tyres to US bound vehicles (perhaps our US forum members might like to confirm that) he did promise to feed back my thoughts on Customers being able to specify which tyre type (fast road, true all season, winter biased i.e. operates best below 7 degrees). Unfortunately no feedback has been forthcoming.

When I owned Porsche Cayennes I understood that the tyres would be fast road performance based so included in my budget a second set of wheels and winter tyres (Vred Wintrac) I covered a 110 mil trip to work in the early hours in 2 to 4 inches of fresh snow with only gritter lorries for company on the roads towards the end of my journey not one moment of panic due to lost traction.

I put the same Vreds on my RRS and left them on all year again great in the winter and as I drive diesel I don't tend to chuck my Range Rovers around so much in the summer. I go fishing as a hobby and some of the muddy tracks to the lakes could be described as fairly off road conditions the Winter tyres really perform.

To summarise Continentals Cross Contact tyre are okay but for personnel choice I would not spend my own cash
on them and will be interested to see what LR do about the tyre wall cracking next week ( not expecting a lot mind).
Cheers
Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #367340 16th Jan 2016 12:21pm
Alistair

It's surprising how a tyre can differ from vehicle to vehicle - or maybe just different sizes

On my L405 I have the factory Conti 22's but also run Winter Conti 22's that I have on at the moment.

Whilst I'm glad I have the winters, I continually wonder if they are really worth it - and more so through the mildest December on record - but I've run winter tyres on all our cars for the last 8-9 years, so I'm not going to stop now.

The Conti 22's seem well suited to the L405 IMHO, but I haven't tried the pirellis Thumbs Up

Post #367374 16th Jan 2016 4:27pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

IIRC you get down to the SW here, Alistair? Minus 16/18 C isn't unknown. Neutral John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #367387 16th Jan 2016 5:08pm
Alistair

SW in the summer - Alps in the winter Thumbs Up

My wife spends about ½ the time between Easter and Haloween in Bordeaux and I'm backwards and forwards as much as I can

Up until last week, i hadn't seen the temperature in the UK drop much below 7 - we are now starting to get a bit of a winter

I'm firmly converted to winter tyres Thumbs Up

Post #367389 16th Jan 2016 5:13pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #367391 16th Jan 2016 5:16pm
Montys 4x4

Hi if ever there was a reason........
Coming back from a sunny if cold walk at Southwold this afternoon we encountered the blackest of skies over Lowestoft with a single flash of lightening, when we reached the Africa Alive roundabout on the A12 there was a 3 car heavy shunt being attended by 2 ambulances and 3 police cars it was as if a line had been drawn across the road and there was a layer of hail/ sleet failing on the roundabout and extending north up the A12 dual carriageway the temp on the dash went from 4 degrees to 1 degree with the RR bong sounding. As we went up the dual carriageway slowly with hatchbacks overtaking us on the virgin snow surface I saw a Porsche on the opposite lane spinning down both lanes before heading into some small trees, when reached the Pakefield roundabout and went back down the south bound carriageway no one in front of us stopped at the scene. We pulled in and set the hazards and fogs alight and raised the suspension, the gent driving was outside of his 996 turbo (4 WD) my Wife (medical practitioner) jumped out on the kerb side discovering the chaps daughter was still sat in the car safe and okay if a little shocked the Father brought her over and sat her in our RR, the Police were quickly on the scene as other drivers had stopped at the first accident and reported it.
Sorry to ramble on and it's a weird event after adding to this thread just this morning but the Porsche Turbo is an excellent vehicle but chatting to the Policeman whilst waiting for the recovery truck he said its four wheel drive but on summer performance tyres! Also I had never really thought about this but the Policeman said if you have a shunt and the air bags don't go off you should vacate the vehicle quickly as just slamming the door could and has set a airbag off causing injury to a partially seated passenger.
It appears the rapid drop in temperature with the freezing hail and sleet turned the road surface into a skating ring. It doesn't take inches of snow and ice and it can happen in the relatively mild east coast strip down South. Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #367439 16th Jan 2016 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>