Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > New Member - just saying hello!! and your respected opinions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
L494defector

United Kingdom 
New Member - just saying hello!! and your respected opinions

Greetings to all!

New member here, long time lurker, thought it's only right to join now.

I have had an L494 since 2014, it was a HSE dynamic with Autobiography exterior bits, and in Fuji White.

This was a goodwill replacement for a Santorini Black one that was faulty. (essentially the dreaded suspension knock)
It was great and truly one of the best all round vehicles i have owned (previous list includes a 997 Turbo)

However, I had an offer I couldnt refuse from a trader who had a hot buyer who was pre approved on finance etc. and I sold it a couple weeks ago.

Now, a feeling your all aware of - the Land Rover ITCH...I am currently in the market for a L405 autobiography.

Got a few options on the table - one of them being an ex LR car at £78.5k with 7k miles on a 15 plate, Autobiography but basic, in Corris with Ebony/cirrus.

Or this one, 14 plate , Santorini with Pimento inside , 23k miles at £75k , with the 1700w meridian, deployables, and rear entertainment.

Your esteemed opinions please Thumbs Up

Post #369452 29th Jan 2016 8:47pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi and welcome to the l405 forum.

You are in a great position so take your time and pick the right one. Before we can advise you properly it's best if you tell us what you'd like to do in you ffrr. For instance is ride, performance, kit your biggest reason for changing?

Some quick pointers from someone whose on his second 405, first was an AB, this ones an SE. There is a fair bit of difference between 20, 21s and 22 inch wheel in terms of ride comfort against handling, so that's a big thing to me. My last car had the Signature Reference Hifi which was very good but it really boils down to whether you are a hifi nut. My current standard hifi sounds the same to my; admittedly tin ear apart from I turn it up a little louder but for me I wouldn't pay much extra for it. That said a radio buff would see it differently.

Similarly, it's worth going through the spec sheet to see what you really want in the car, because I'm currently in an experiment to see if the SE is better for my needs compared to the AB. If, however you would regularly use the park heater, massage seats, 360 cameras, cooled rear seats etc then it's a no brainier to go for the AB.

In terms of engines and from a personal point of view, if power is your thing and you aren't bothered by mpg at all, then the SC is creamy and very rapid in a straight line. If towing very heavy horse boxes etc is your thing, the Sdv8 has bags of torque and go's very well. However, the 3.0tdv6 certainly doesn't feel like the poor relation and is the most refined of the diesels by a fair margin.

Anyway enjoy the fun choosing Thumbs Up

Post #369464 29th Jan 2016 9:53pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

What ever you do make sure that you get one , they are fantastic !

Post #369486 30th Jan 2016 12:09am
L494defector

United Kingdom 

Thanks basil!

Yes , I need to be taking my time - but it's hard ! Got funds from the sale of the l494 burning a hole in the pocket coupled with the lack of rangey in my life, seems hard not to be in a hurry. Plus I'm driving a van right now !!

When it comes to preferences , I like the smoothness and refinement aspects that the l405 has, together with the unmatched road presence , and that creamy smooth ride.

But at the same time I like the look of the 22's even though they can make the ride less refined.

I do like the toys - rear entertainment isn't a deal breaker but it's nice to have as at this level I think going ''poverty" spec doesn't quite seem right - at this price point one would feel short changed not having all the trimmings , compared to other Marques that is

Standard autobiography without sidesteps, no rear entertainment and 7k miles is at 78.5k

While one with 23k and all the trimmings in a sexy colourway , albeit a year older is at 75k

Confused ! First world problems . A dilemma which could be solved by which would have potentially better resale, say I'm 2 years time.

Post #369499 30th Jan 2016 1:56am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Fair comment.

In view of what you've said I'd definitely be going for a 15 plate as you'll be sure to get the tpms and more likely the MY updates that include gesture tailgate etc.

15 plate standard AB's (and standard is lovely ) start on the LR website at a little under £77K and I'd have thought you'd get £2k off that as a cash buyer. I've had 21's and 22 inch wheels and prefer the 21's but lived quite happily with the bigger, slightly less forgiving wheels. Rear entertainment isn't something for me. Have had it on previous cars and it's never been used as there is never anyone in the back in my car.

Deployable steps are really nice too but remember that they retract when you park so they don't offer any car-park protection. Mine has fixed side steps and when I park on a busy car park, I just set the suspension to off-road and that way if anyone else is careless opening their car door, they'll likely get a little kiss from the steps, rather than your body-work with the deployables.

You'll certainly have more choice if you opt for the 4.4 SDV8 and it's a great one to go for, even if it's not quite as refined as the 3.0tdv6. For me the diesels are both great and frankly I'd be content with either, so I'd concentrate on picking the car that has the spec you desire.

Finally, and this very much depends on your local dealer but given your position I'd be walking in and speaking to the Sales Manager / Dealer principle and tell him your wishes and ask him to find something at the right price and spec and you'll buy locally, developing a good relationship. Good luck Steve

Post #369524 30th Jan 2016 11:04am
caymanblack

For me as i hate the rear screen s and side steps it would be the lower miles car. No AB is basic any way. Other than that Basil has given you some great advice.

Post #369534 30th Jan 2016 12:24pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Get the highest spec you can afford. 22's don't ruin the ride at all, yes they give a slightly firmer ride but the car is much more precise when you push on a bit. They have approximately the same ride as my previous L322 on 20's. 22's look so much better also, especially the Style 7 wheels.

Post #369552 30th Jan 2016 2:53pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Your 14 reg car sounds a bit like mine, except for the side steps. I love all the gadgets, but I came from a fairly low spec L302 Vogue which I'd had for years. With my L405 for example, it's great how the massage seats kick in after 5 minutes driving. And the 1700 watt stereo really is awesome.

The only think I would not pick again are the 22" turbine alloy wheels. I think they are a bit blingy and very easy to kerb. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #369556 30th Jan 2016 4:00pm
L494defector

United Kingdom 

Hello comrades ! Very Happy
Thanks for all the replies , and great advice

The notion of 'take your time ' didn't last very long.

L494 was sold on the 15th, to release some funds and be sensible as part of a New Years resolution

Not even a whole fortnight later ... Deposit placed on a 14 4.4sdv8 AB

So many options ... In fact I don't think it's missing a thing. Will post later with details

Can't wait for pick up day - hopefully weds or thurs.

As petty as it sounds I didn't confirm whether road tax was included when negotiating , what's the norm
Is it road tax included these days ?

Post #370060 2nd Feb 2016 12:42pm
362bkr

I think with the new road tax system you have to set it up yourself. Can't wait to see it only two more sleepless nights to go!

Post #370063 2nd Feb 2016 12:58pm
L494defector

United Kingdom 

Thanks 362bkr,

Just wanna get rangey back in my life!!!

Heres the spec:

Santorini Black ext - ebony/pimento interior.
Wood and leather steering wheel.
1700w Meridian Stereo
Rear Entertainment
Deployable side steps (this was a must- as had them on my sport, and makes it so much easier for my mum to get in, even if its only a couple of times a year. The fixed ones sit quite high for obvious reasons..but are useless as an actual entry aid)
Traffic sign recognition
Wade sensing
Deployable tow bar (was never on my want list - but wouldnt say no)
22" Style 7
Privacy glass
Grand Black trim
Alston headlining (would've loved the leather one for the sense of occasion)

and all the usual 'standard' autobiography options.

In the past I had rejected a L494 brand spanker for the dreaded suspension knock , and without revealing too much, JLR had put a proverbial rocket up the ass of the dealership concerned, and got the car replaced, the REPLACEMENT had the same bitch of a problem.

Roll on Arc valve block and 4 new air springs (on a car with 200 miles!!) , and all was fine , massive thumbs up to JLR customer services...really know how to look after their disgruntled customers.

Of the 4 of L405's I had driven (2 of which were courtesy vehicles - Months at a time - ) 3 had the knock

The 405 i have bought didn't have the knock on test drive, so fingers crossed for me please that it doesnt rear its head.

I know I can deal with it and with this forums help and my own long winded experiences, I know it can be sorted, but its just very inconvenient considering the price point and compared to cars that cost 10% of the value that drive smooth and tight a la hyundai! Razz

Post #370132 2nd Feb 2016 9:53pm
Jkay

Australia 

Congratulations ..... And welcome Back to Range Rover ownership

Quote:
Of the 4 of L405's I had driven (2 of which were courtesy vehicles - Months at a time - ) 3 had the knock

The 405 i have bought didn't have the knock on test drive, so fingers crossed for me please that it doesnt rear its head.

Quick Question, as someone who's looking for an L405, is the knock easy to detect? Is it mainly at low speeds etc?

Thanks

Post #370202 3rd Feb 2016 3:33am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Welcome to the club L494 ! Mr. Green

@Jkay: don't worry you will hear/feel it right away ! But a good dealer can handle this in 4 days Wink All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #370212 3rd Feb 2016 9:56am
Jkay

Australia 

Thanks XXXAngelXXX

I'm going to see a couple in the next few weeks, some private and some at dealer and want to be sure this isn't an issue with my potential New purchase Smile

Post #370213 3rd Feb 2016 9:59am
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

I'm looking for one too. When do you get the knock? Low / High speed? What is the cure? What is this 4 day thing with a good dealer Angel?

Post #370216 3rd Feb 2016 10:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>