Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TD6 Torque converter, is there an H/D option?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

They seem well related as tyres from most that ive spoke to about them but ive just got some wintracs on the way as I haven't found anything better yet when the weather comes in and I do like to play in the snow 😂

For the 6speed ZF you'd need to move to a tdv8 for one.

If I were you and wanted to keep the FF and not just repair it and move it on if get a stronger TC either from that BMW eBay guy or Oz, then the Sonax valve block and then the remapped ecu from Germany and together all that should last you a fair while changing the dex6 fluid every 18-24 months. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #369790 31st Jan 2016 7:19pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I never really understood by Land Rover/BMW went with the 5L40-E unit because the ZF 5HP24 is used in the BMW 730d (with the M57 engine) and even the twin-turbo 238bhp/500Nm Alpina D10. Maybe the GM box was cheaper?

Post #369889 1st Feb 2016 1:26pm
kingpleb

Was it not cost and that they were already tied into getting the power train from BMW?
Hence why the td6 never got any of the updates the BMW units for for their own cars as ours were stuck as a late 90's/early 00's design... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #369891 1st Feb 2016 1:40pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Phil Bow down Bow down

Help! what am I to do?

I'm in talks with RoadBlaster in Melbourne, but that is looking to be an expensive option. They did hint that a manual override switch for the lock up would be of benefit to me, thoughts? maybe add a link so that the brake lights override the switch to avoid stalling? http://www.roadblastertorqueconverters.com...-converter
or would the "Eco tune" be a better option?

Will one of the Kevlar clutch units last longer? I almost feel guilty about buying one, as the chap is giving a 2 year warranty and I can kill a clutch is a year Embarassed

And any thoughts on the gearbox flush? I was thinking of removing the return from the cooler to the box, at the box and adding new via the filler ( with the running in gear in between ) Rolling Eyes

Or would there be a way of sticking a ZF unit from a X5 in ? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #369912 1st Feb 2016 4:36pm
boatsandy1966

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Adriatic Blue

what is expensive if you like the car spend and keep it id be looking at the aussie option tbh 1937 model y hot rod 1000bhp rover75 v8 vincert blackshadow plus several boats and other toyz ! ford f150 raptor Mercedes e class convertible jaguar f pace

Post #369945 1st Feb 2016 6:42pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately the car is not just for liking, it's a business tool as well, and with out it I can't work Sad
And while I'm looking for the least cost option, I do need it to be reliable, and you can have me sectioned later Laughing

I have towed a lot with different cars and trucks over the years and I can honestly say that the ffrr is the best compromise that I have come accorss. Yes a Landcruiser will be slightly more reliable, but they are not fool proof and cost an arm and leg to keep running, and they are very thirsty when towing (15 - 17 MPG Shocked ) And the gearbox on them is not without its problems, a long with suspension, steering and electrical.

The ffrr is cheaper to run on spares and does about 25% more to the gallon Shocked

The only real problem for the work that I'm asking it to do is the gearbox that BMW fobbed us off with, hopefully I can find a fix that works.......... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #369973 1st Feb 2016 8:43pm
kingpleb

If you can do the work yourself here's a possible fix scenario....
1. Get a decent second hand box and while it's on it's way get the torque converter rebuilt under the 2year warranty and refit it all with dex6.

With the box that has come off give it a good flush. Then get the Sonax valve block fitted, and get the Oz TC ordered up and sent over.

Then when the enivtable happens with the used box and cheap rebuilt TC you can straight swap in the one you have ready to go and minimising your downtime and then allowing you some time to get the final solution bits together and built up ready to go 👍

The ecotune or gearbox remap ecu can go in at any point and you can always blag the sellers of the old gearbox to include it... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #369983 1st Feb 2016 9:42pm
kingpleb

These links might help...
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/4120-remanufactured-valve-body
Probably best sourced thru
http://www.jpat.co.uk/

And a stop gap of
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251804621387
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/182003841616
And rebuilt TC from
http://m.mackie-transmission.com/

Just my thoughts of the cheapest and quickest way to get it going and then sort it long term 👍 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #369989 1st Feb 2016 9:52pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

To be honest I don’t think there’s a lot wrong with the existing torque converter. I believe the LUC friction lining is woven graphite/carbon (rather than paper/resin) and would probably turn out to be pretty durable if it wasn’t for the valve body wear issues. The problem is that transmission remanufacturers address the symptoms and not the cause (it’s the cheapest method). The valve body wears due to the soft aluminium castings, the spools then leak and cross-talk. The leakage causes the LUC pressure to reduce causing it to slip more and eventually wear out. The remanufacturer then replaces the torque converter without addressing the valve body leakage issue and the whole process begins again - except quicker now as the valve body is ‘pre-worn’ - and this time the TC lasts 20-30k miles. All the remanufacturer cares about is that it’s outside the warranty period.

The issue lies with the valve body and either a new one or a ‘Sonnaxed’ one needs to be fitted at the same time as the remanufactured TC. Just my opinion, obviously.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #369992 1st Feb 2016 10:04pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Does the same thing apply with the 6-speed Phil ?

Post #370033 2nd Feb 2016 3:09am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The 6-speed doesn't have the underlying valve block issues of the GM box. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #370050 2nd Feb 2016 11:06am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked Well I've just had the quote from Aus. and ....... Shocked Shocked

I wont see any change out of £800 once customs have got their hands on it Evil or Very Mad I'm now thinking that is a wee bit too much, so it's back to the drawing board Sad There are too many other things that need looking at and only a limited repair fund, so I recon that I'll have to chance a UK one.

The next question is what to go for? Got a bit confusing when I asked Google which was better carbon or kevlar clutches. It threw up a lot of posts about carbon fiber verses kevlar, from what I could make out carbon was better than kevlar, and now I'm totally confused as what's standard and what's best Shocked Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #370193 3rd Feb 2016 12:58am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Can't talk about gear boxes but as a boat builder I know my Carbon Fibre from my Kevlar aramid fibre and they are VERY different and Kevlar is far superior in abrasion resistance to Carbon . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #370196 3rd Feb 2016 2:32am
miggit

United Kingdom 

That's what I thought, but it was saying that carbon fiber was better at torque transfer, and that was the point were I got lost Laughing

Recon that it will be a dam good flush, Kevlar plated torque converter and the ECO tune ECU. The torque converter hasn't broken up, as it all still locks at 50 mph, just don't sound too cleaver between 30 and 50 on light throttle........ I recon I'd be down to the rivets Sad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #370203 3rd Feb 2016 3:33am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I think I'm right in saying that Kevlar is stronger, while carbon fibre, I believe, has a higher friction coefficient, but I'm not an expert. Kevlar doesn't like heat IIRC, so I think I'd be inclined towards carbon. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #370234 3rd Feb 2016 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>