Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rear Washer Blocked
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey
Rear Washer Blocked

Had a go at fixing the rear washer this morning. Whenever it's used we just get a drip down the inside onto the parcel shelf.

Off with the plastic trim panel which was pretty easy. No loud bangs, all clips intact, so far so good. The inside of the trim was a different story. It was rather grubby with the unmistakable blue/green of washer fluid that had dried onto the plastic. Easily removed with Megs APC so it'll go back on lovely and clean. The area where the fluid pipe joins the motor was crusted with old washer fluid which suggested that the motor was at fault so I'm guessing a new one is required.

I then pulled the pipe from the motor to test the fluid to that point. I expected a veritable vesuvius of fluid but was disappointed to find not a lot more than a trickle. That's probably an exaggeration as a reasonable amount of fluid was coming out but not a jet stream.

What could cause this and could this have something to do with the performance of the washers in general. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #369170 28th Jan 2016 12:48pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

would not the washer water come out of said tube when the rear windscreen stalk is operated.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #369177 28th Jan 2016 2:03pm
V8Noise

That's how I tested it Stan; by operating the steering column control why my lovely assistant watched the tube.

I was expecting at least she'd get a decent squirt in the face Shocked but to no avail. There was a fair bit came out but not with huge force. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350

Post #369178 28th Jan 2016 2:13pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

ah..never done mine so i dont know how much water should come out ..hopefully someone will come along and tell.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #369179 28th Jan 2016 2:16pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Did you pull the pipe off the black elbow on the wiper motor or off the non return valve 2" further up the pipe?

Only ask cos when I did a friends wiper motor repair for him, we found that the non return was blocked too Shocked

Also if you are getting water on the inside of the car from the washer system then you will need to repair the seal on the wiper motor as well

Info here

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic9792.h...motor+seal

and here

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic35525.html

Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #369186 28th Jan 2016 2:54pm
V8Noise

Ta miggit.

I did pull the pipe off the elbow on the motor. I'll check the non return to see if that's blocked. I'm guessing there should be a fair bit of pressure so the non return could be part of the problem. Can it be bought separately? I'm just off to Barratts, in Ashford so could buy the bits whilst I'm there.

Thanks for your inputs Stan. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350

Post #369192 28th Jan 2016 3:22pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

It is possible to split the non return valve and clean it out...... it's not the ball bearing type.... it's got a knakered condom in it Shocked And don't stab yourself with the screwdriver, which is a lot easier to do than split the valve Big Cry

As for the flow rate, with the valve removed and a bucket placed on the parcel shelf it should provide a steady stream, recon that it could throw it 4-5 feet without the bucket Shocked Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #369197 28th Jan 2016 3:39pm
V8Noise

I tested the flow, sans non return valve and the expected vesuvius was forthcoming, ergo knackered non return valve. Ordered 1 at Barrats for the princely sum of £8 and change.

The motor was a different story at over £200. I can buy a LR one on eBay for £147, which I mentioned to the parts lad who then applied a discount back to £176. Off to the bay for that item.

The bulb for the centre air vents in the dash (see separate thread) was a whole different story. "Sorry sir, bulbs no longer sold separately so it's a new unit" £229 WTF Shocked Do I look like I came down with the last drop of rain. I'll whip it out and see if I can find the same bulb elsewhere. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350

Post #369219 28th Jan 2016 5:38pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

have a look at the above fixes miggit put up, the seals go inside the motor and can be bought from a local supplier of bearings etc or off of eBay for a couple of quids. replace the seal follow the description, should take about 1/2 hour to strip and fix while you have got it off. works a treat, did mine on the 3.6 a while back and it was fine up until it was sold Thumbs Up saves loads of cashola. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #369224 28th Jan 2016 6:07pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

^^ Wot he said Thumbs Up

Took me a couple of hours to do mine, and that included repairing the pitted shaft and waiting for glue to dry. The seal is a couple of quid on the bay of fleas, and read my post in the second link as I did it a bit different. But read the first post first! And to strip the unit you will require a T20 torks driver and I used a sharp chisel to cut the tops off the plastic rivets that lock the elbow on, no drills were involved Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #369265 29th Jan 2016 12:06am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Here you go under £2.00 Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x16x4mm-Oil-Se...hash=item0 Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #369266 29th Jan 2016 12:09am
V8Noise

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a new motor from the bay for £147.50. Genuine Land Rover from the main dealer in Hull.

Stripped everything out the morning and first tried with the old motor and everything cleaned. Still leaking on the inside although I was getting a decent spray from the jets.

Out with the old motor, in with the new and then I noticed that the 2 little pieces of broken plastic I'd found in the new motor box, were from the spout of the motor where it protrudes through the wiper itself. A bit of judicious re-engineering of the original plastic spout from the old motor and we were good to go.

Everything sorted and all working perfectly. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350

Post #370067 2nd Feb 2016 1:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1