Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Windscreen Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
GAC23

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Indus Silver

... credit where credit's due ...

Was called yesterday to say my - Pilkington - screen was in.

And they've just been and fitted it Very Happy What do I put here then?

Last edited by GAC23 on 26th Jan 2018 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #466080 26th Jan 2018 11:26am
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Mine needs replacing but I'm petrified that in doing do I'm going to create a load more problems!

Are most glass companies ok with you specifying Pilkington?

Post #466084 26th Jan 2018 11:55am
GAC23

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Indus Silver

Apart from their mistake, I had no problem saying I wanted a Pilkington screen.

Reading other posts for this topic, Autoglass will let you specify too.

Just be polite and firm. Smile What do I put here then?

Post #466088 26th Jan 2018 12:12pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Auto glass use plikington as default you have to pay extra if you want to have it Land Rover embossed I have had three so far just make sure they have the replacement trims not going to re use originals

Post #466090 26th Jan 2018 12:17pm
Angel Boy

United Kingdom 

Paul thornton wrote:
Mine needs replacing but I'm petrified that in doing do I'm going to create a load more problems!

Are most glass companies ok with you specifying Pilkington?

We're just going through this now with direct line and autoglass. Got the initial booking sorted then realised I had asked about pilkington glass. Updated via the website only to get a call a few hours later. I think both autoglass and direct line thought I wanted land rover embossed glass fitted as they said if have to pay extra. They also said they couldn't guarantee that it was pilkington. Further discussions and another call, a helpful lady offered to go check what they had in stock, it would seem they only have pilkington.

Have got the screen fitted yet, but she said she was away to dispatch a pilkington screen to the fitter.

Best,
Andy

Post #466221 27th Jan 2018 9:45am
uzp315

miggit wrote:
and he put a thin bead of sealer / glue along the bottom of the windscreen to bed the lower trim panel (the bit that the wipers poke through) on... Apparently if you don't do this the wind gets under it a you have the whistling noise that a few have commented on Rolling Eyes

Autoglass couldnt come for over a week, so they offered to pass the job on to one of their partners "Trained to the same level as Autoglass technicians"

I need to get Autoglass back I dont want to use their partner again.

I think I am suffering from the problem above in Miggit's quote - but mine sounds like an angry hornets nest - loud high pitch buzzing.

Like you said Miggit, my rain sensors also took a short while to bed-in and stop going very fast all the time that the wiper was switched on (intermittent)

However, the downsides I still have.
Loads of wind-noise - mainly from the bottom of the screen and the new side trims on the pillars.
The tape they used to secure the screen whilst the sealant dried has pulled the lacquer off the paint when removed.
There were dirty mit marks on glass and a few other marks elsewhere.

The manager of the partner company tried to blame the noise on the strong winds of recent days and that the paint pealed because the roof had "probably already been repainted at some point".

I set him straight no-bones. They will rectify things and have offered a body shop, or a localised repair from chips away, but chips away want it in their workshop as they cannot do roof paint repairs from their van.

Upshot...not keen on chips away doing the work. Not happy with the managers response. I am going to call autotrader and get their own staff to come out and rectify things.

Thankfully, they confirmed - I got rain sensors, heated screen, climate control, and acoustic insulation, but couldnt confirm about whether it was pilkington or LR or made by someone else. I'll have a look next time I see daylight.

My lessons learned - check with AT and ask them to check the glass spec against chassis number.
Do not use their partners.
Be prepared for issues.

It was a bit of a "one thing led to another" all because a lorry threw a rock at my windscreen. Peeved, but persevering.

Post #466683 31st Jan 2018 7:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567