Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Sound Proofing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Cavalier

2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Sound Proofing

I had a quote to have my 2012 Vogue professionally sound proofed, £800, it involves treating the inside of the doors, the floor and the boot. I'm interested in this as I think the road noise is higher than my 2012 Discovery 4, that I traded for the Range Rover. They both had the Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres, so that is like for like. I just love the FFRR so much that I think getting the noise level down would make it just perfect.
Has anyone had a go at sound proofing a FF, what do yo think of the quoted price? I have told the sound proofing company I thought the price was a bit high. I don't mind spending about £600 for the right result.

Post #350080 30th Sep 2015 1:18pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

before you go spending your money, are you sure that it will result in a substantial 'gain'? maybe find another set of wheels you can borrow/swap to prove its the tyres? then maybe buy those diferent wheels/tyres, and it should be like your D4
these are quiet cars.....sounds like poor tyres...

i had a worn shoulder on a merc we have, it was a bit like a thru'penny bit rolling at a certain speed. but it looked sort of ok, (untill you really looked), and swapped out, it was silent.

i have the early model, i have had some chunky AT2 (off road-ish tyres,) and some 'road' continentals on now, both are quiet enough. i mean, i cant hear anything. or even 'feel' noise.
i think people that have super-stereos often go down the soundproofing route, as this stops rattling, and gives much better sound reflection ie from the door voids. at decent volume. especially on 'tin can' type cars... -away from the silence you may be wanting..in the much better built luxury car you now have.
and you dont need to fill the door with sound deadening material.

search youtube, for demontrations, but these are often stereophile type guys.

Post #350097 30th Sep 2015 3:25pm
Cavalier

Thanks for the reply, it's early days yet, I have only had the car a fortnight , so am still getting the feel of the car, but I love it already.

Post #350101 30th Sep 2015 6:31pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I tend to agree with jba above. RangeRovers are surprisingly well sound proofed as new. Spending hundreds of pounds adding to the already comprehensive sound insulation will imo only nominally improve sound levels in the car. Law of diminishing returns is likely to be the case. Have you considered measuring the sound level in the car whilst driving under various conditions. Both IOS and Android have Apps for sound level meters which although they may not be perfect will be good enough for comparison purposes before and after any work, alternatively you could hire a professional Sound Level Meter.
I looked at adding to the sound proofing but given the amount of absorbent material in the car I came to the conclusion it would be almost impossible to add further material. Sound absorbing material is surprisingly bulky. The floor pan is easy to improve the sound insulation, just strip out everything and cover the entire floor with Code 6 lead sheet and then put the existing sound absorbing material back on top. Used to do this to minimize generator noise breakout from plant rooms, works surprisingly well.
Could knock a few miles off the mpg though. Very Happy
The plastic wheel arch liners could be similarly treated.
Door panels can be treated with stick on sound deadening panels but again I have used patches of lead sheet in doors stuck in place with builders adhesive, definitely works and the doors shut with a satisfying clunk.
Have you considered having the door seals checked, even a minute air gap can significantly compromise sound proofing.
Sound proofing is not a particularly difficult job just a bit time consuming, you could buy a lot of material for a lot less than £800.
Be interested to know if you decide to do anything and the results.

Post #350102 30th Sep 2015 6:44pm
Cavalier

Good reply, I have an iPhone and will look up the app. I can buy sound proofing material on line, so could do a bit of DIY.

Post #350112 30th Sep 2015 8:25pm
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

@NDFI after all that sound proofing his next complaint would be lead poisoning Rolling with laughter
But as always your posts are informative and interesting. I always learn something I didn't know. Thanks Howard

Post #350117 30th Sep 2015 8:49pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine is Dynamat’d and it makes a massive difference imho... At high speed i can tell the difference between the sunroof blind being open or closed! That is how far we have quietened it down... That and Conti silent tyres and “voila"

Do it Thumbs Up

Post #350118 30th Sep 2015 8:58pm
scuddriver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Like you, I found the noise level in my 2011 Vogue disappointingly high, and took some sound level measurements with the Iphone app. You will find the results here;
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic33967.html

The main culprit seems to be tyre noise. The car is currently fitted with Scorpion Zeros with about 5mm tread. I decided to bring the unused spare into play, and fitted this to the front nearside. I immediately noticed a reduction in tyre noise. I have had a similar experience in my old TD6, and it would appear that part worn tyres get noisier as they wear.
My advice would be to spend the money on a new set of quieter running tyres, maybe the Conti Silent ones if they do them in your size. 2011 Vogue TDV8 4.4
1992 Mazda Mx5

Post #350236 1st Oct 2015 8:01pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

My MY12 has quite bad tyre noise reverberation with BFG AT KO2 tyres, particularly below 100 kph. I notice that noise from trucks is heard from the rear only and as the spare wheel well does not have any sound-deadening material that will be where I start my improvement attempts. The noise is not nearly as bad as having the sun-roof open in any form but is totally unacceptable.

Post #350249 1st Oct 2015 9:39pm
Cavalier

I like the idea of Conti silent tyres, I wonder if they make them to fit the 20" Range Rover wheels.

Post #350260 1st Oct 2015 11:50pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Most tyres now come with Decibel ratings on the tyre label, so you can certainly find some tyres with a lower noise level if Continental don't do them, you can compare them online at E-tyres, Black Circles, My Tyres etc. One drawback is, generally the quieter the tyre the more road orientated the tread is, so it would depend on whether you're prepared to be embarrassed should you ever go across wet grass or out in the snow. For my previous car (a Jaguar) i searched around for the quietest tyres i could find for that, which turned out to be Dunlop SportMaxx RT, it was virtually silent, compared to the P-Zero's it had before.

The Fresh set of Scorpion Zero's on mine are pretty quiet that might change as they wear obviously.

Last edited by Zirconblue on 17th Dec 2015 2:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #350274 2nd Oct 2015 5:15am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The one part I would like to soundproof is the bit of metal between the top of the windscreen and the front edge of the sunroof. Loudest rain I've ever heard.

I thinks also the spare wheel tub would benefit from some dynamat as well. Might stop the drumming from back there at motorway speeds.

@Craig, don't suppose you took any pictures did you? Would be good to know where to put the stuff for most benefit. Thumbs Up

Post #350283 2nd Oct 2015 8:23am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

something like this Dom,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612....d+proofing ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #350287 2nd Oct 2015 8:47am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I didn’t I’m afraid Dom... I used far less in this one then i did in my 06my previously... BUT!!! there is far more factory soundproofing in a 11/12my car... Thumbs Up

Post #350288 2nd Oct 2015 8:58am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yes, that's a good start Stan. Just about to order a load of dynamat.

I know there's more as standard Craig, at least my 2011 'Charger is quieter than my 07 TDV8 ever was. That being the case I was wondering which bits to do really. I'd love to do the front of the roof but getting the headliner down looks like a bit of a job, especially as it's cream leather so there is no scope for dirty hands.

Post #350290 2nd Oct 2015 9:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>