Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Site News & Feedback > Gallery photos upload failed (0 uploads successful)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 
Gallery photos upload failed (0 uploads successful)

A very frequently asked question!

Files with a smaller file size than the stated gallery limit can fail to upload for a combination of two reasons:

• There is a maximum time (currently 60 seconds) the gallery software upload script will wait for file(s) to be uploaded (to prevent gallery uploads taking the entire site down)
  • Your internet connection speed and the size of the file you're uploading determines whether the file can be uploaded within this time limit.
The root of the issue is that digital camera resolutions (and therefore photo file sizes) have increased much faster than internet upload speeds, even on fast broadband services. You'll be surprised just how slow your an ADSL connection really is at busy times of the day! On a "up to 8 Meg" (8 Mbit) ADSL connection, upload speeds are generally stated as "up to 0.5 Meg" (so 16 times slower). At best on this connection, a 5MB photo will take approximately 90 seconds to upload - this is greater than the maximum time stated above, hence the failure to upload.

The solution is to resize photos BEFORE uploading - this tool integrates very well into the Windows right click menu and is completely free (I use it for exactly this process): http://phototoysclone.codeplex.com/

For the forum I would suggest an image size of no larger than 1280x1024 pixels Smile

Martin

Post #38256 23rd Nov 2010 9:41am
JOKER

Scotland 

Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #38259 23rd Nov 2010 9:42am
dantheman

United Kingdom 

Bow down

Cheers Martin!

Post #38526 23rd Nov 2010 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1