Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Starting issues 2003 FFRR TD6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mbmarkyb

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Starting issues 2003 FFRR TD6

Morning all, recently had non starting issues in the mornings, used the FBH and it starts fine, My Icarsoft shows a glow plug relay fault. once the car has started it will start if say I nip out do an hour shopping and go back to it so I presume no fuel pump faults etc ( low pressure fuel pump replaced a bout 6 months ago.

Having removed the inlet manifold, testing the glow plugs 1 appears to be dead but no power getting to the glowplugs. I replaced the glowplug relay with what I know as a good one and still no joy. I am trying to locate the 100amp fuse but having some difficulty finding it . any other thoughts on what it can be, the relay is getting 12volts to it on the larger cable .

I have read around on the posts and most seem to have injector issues or change the glow plugs ( mine had a new injector about 6 months ago also and I can hear the pump priming so I don't believe it to be fuel related.

It could be that I have 2 x broken relays but before I order a new one I thought I would post first. thanks in advance

Post #420125 30th Dec 2016 10:26am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Check continuity in the glow plug wiring loom, could be an internally broken wire...

It's free to check so worthwhile... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #420149 30th Dec 2016 1:19pm
steveball

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

The accepted thinking is that in U.K. climate, glow plugs help the engine to start, but aren't strictly necessary. If you have a problem preventing the glow plugs from heating it might take a few seconds extra turning over to start - that's all. If it was me, I'd want to solve the glowplug problem, but getting it to start reliably is a greater priority.

I'd mainly be looking at the fuel system

Has the fuel filter been changed recently? Could it be clogged?

Is the diesel a few months old? Years ago, petrol companies used to put an anti-waxing additive into fuel from the pumps from about October to March. Not sure if they still leave it out for the summer to save a few pence. If fuel in the tank dates from the summer, it might be waxing and clogging the filter at or around freezing point. Not sure what you could do abou that, really! I once saw an HGV on the side of the road with a breakdown truck with a calor gas bottle and what looked like a flame-thrower lance heating the fuel in the tank. Very dramatic!

You've had one injector replaced. Whose to say that one or more of the other 5 aren't now faulty? A faulty injector, which sticks open, can reduce the fuel pressure to all cylinders and prevent starting. Sometimes the fault is only apparent at extremes of temperature - very hot or very cold.

Failing that, you looking at one of the fuel pumps. You've already replaced the LP pump, so that's unlikely. It could be the HP pump, though it would be odd if it only did that when cold. Diag to read the fuel rail pressure will help - but several things could be causing low pressure, not just a faulty pump.

Diesel engines really only need 3 things to start - the right amount of fuel at the right time; air; and rotation/compression. If all three are present it should start. Current: 2010 Range Rover L322
Vogue SE, TDV8 3.6, Bournville
-----------------------------------
Now gone: 2002 Range Rover L322
Vogue, TD6, Giverney Green

Post #420170 30th Dec 2016 3:24pm
mbmarkyb

Thanks for the responses. I found my probe on my tester wasn't long enough and once I plugged a new glow plug in I was getting 12v.
I changed the glow plugs, couple were dead. They all came out fairly easy but once I took the inlet off I ran the engine for 30 mins so the block was hot. Glow plug relay fault now gone.
Still the same issue, however 2 of the glow plugs were covered in black crap so I reckon you are right I have injector issues.

Leak off test kit ordered. Will respond once I have e run the test

Post #420520 1st Jan 2017 9:00am
Joe90

England 

Well done on getting the glow plugs out! ( I failed !): http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic24161.html

Your leak test should help you find the injectors that aren't working, and hopefully they will come out as easily as your glow plugs Thumbs Up

Leak off Test
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic25333.html?highlight=leak

Injector Change
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic25398.html?highlight=leak .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #420552 1st Jan 2017 1:13pm
mbmarkyb

Thank you for the links. I changed the first injector and used a decent injector slide hammer as it wouldn't budge. Leak off kit expected mid week. Will report back

Post #420688 2nd Jan 2017 9:40am
Dtech

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

The two injectors which were not working would be black, because each time they glow the soot burns off them.

Post #420729 2nd Jan 2017 1:11pm
mbmarkyb

Quick update. Performed the leak of test. Injector 6 filled the bottle in less than 10 secs and number 2 filled it about half. Left them with a bit of diesel soaking in while I waited for the injectors to arrive.
2 days later they can out easily with a twist. Replaced and all is well. Started first time this morning at -4.
Thanks KS all for the help.

Post #423747 19th Jan 2017 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1