Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TD6 Intercooler Hose again :@
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Thanks for that Glen.

I'm not sure when my Bearmach hose will be here but I will fit it straight away. It's quite frustrating not being able to use the FF as it's a nightmare to park a Transit Jumbo where I live! Better left at work!

I'm hoping it was my mistake and I ruined the seal on the pipe I fitted previously, and I won't ruin this one and it will be fine, I'm sure being me it won't be that easy but i'm holding out hope!

I will update in due course, as I have spent hours trying to research online when there isn't much to be found with answers unfortunately!

Steve 

Post #429719 2nd Mar 2017 1:13pm
Stacker

I'm so happy!!! The turbo hose was dispatched today with DHL and will be with me tomorrow... Just better tie the Mrs down so she doesn't miss the delivery!

Ordered from LR Direct, which I'm sure reads any part next day... But the hose I wanted said 'To Order'... I ordered it out of hours when they were closed, and emailed the next day, and they told me they will get it in a few days... few days? I want it ASAP!

Luckily that was yesterday and it was dispatched today, so not a bad service if you ask me... Can't wait to use the fatty again! 

Post #429765 2nd Mar 2017 7:23pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Just take your time with this one, and ease it on!! Just had a thought that if there is no locking lug on the intercooler boss, then you should be able to fit the new hose at the intercooler and then swivel it into place and connect up the turbo end... It should be simple to test... you've got enough loose fitting old ones Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #429768 2nd Mar 2017 7:31pm
Stacker

Thats a good point there miggit... There is a little slit on the hose which I thought was a 'locator' but couldn't find anything on the intercooler end?!

I fitted the other side first iirc the last time so will do the intercooler end first... gently with lubrications (thats what she said Rolling with laughter )

I've just realised I forgot to fill that bloody hole... Is it essential? or would it be ok to give it a sand to make sure it's smooth and no sharp bits?! It's passed the seal so in theory should make no difference to operation! 

Post #429771 2nd Mar 2017 7:38pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Definitely no sharp edges, and I don't suppose that it will make any difference if it is inside the pipe past the seal Rolling Eyes just make sure it is Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429775 2nd Mar 2017 7:49pm
Stacker

Saying that, the only reason was I couldn't get JB Weld anywhere locally and gave up, however just found this:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-bo...poxy-putty

Would you think that would do the same job? Seems to set a lot quicker too... My thoughts would be if when I get to work in the morning I fill the hole... then when I finish work 6 hours later, rub the outside down so it's smooth?

If so, i'll reserve some now and collect in the morning on the way to work! 

Post #429776 2nd Mar 2017 7:52pm
Stacker

Just dug out a picture of the original hose, if you zoom in enough you can see part of the seal is missing!

Click image to enlarge

Post #429780 2nd Mar 2017 8:13pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Wot's wrong with this Rolling Eyes http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-bo...rced-epoxy

Looks like JB Weld..... The only reason for saying JB Weld is it is almost bomb proof when it's set, and it will withstand oil and heat, and pressure..... the 3 things that are present in your intercooler Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429796 2nd Mar 2017 11:34pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Oh and looking at your photo the hole is the wrong side of the seal, so you'll have to do something about it... if you can't wait for the JB Weld to set then try some of that other stuff.... BUT read the label well, most epoxy resin based glues and fillers that have a rapid curing time, still don't reach full strength for 24 hours.

The JB can be solid in 30 minutes, but it's weak... strong enough to be shaped, just wont take any heat of oil.... If the hole is on the underside of the intercooler, which I suspect it is, then once you've cleaned / degreased the area, inside and out. Wrap some insulting tape, sorry insulating, around the out side.. keeping it tight as you go. Mix the JB and apply it from the inside and let it set after an hour or so you can take the tape off and there will be no cleaning need as it should be flush.. on the inside spread it around thinly around the hole.. when it's set it will form a mushroom plug that wont get blown out... Remember your not trying to keep the plug in from the outside.. your trying to stop the pressure inside escaping Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429797 2nd Mar 2017 11:49pm
Stacker

I've got time for the weld to set... just wanted to get it done tomorrow / Saturday. That JB Weld you linked to is web exclusive, so isn't sold in store and you have to wait for a third party to send it out by the looks of things!

Which hole do you mean? I notice that picture earlier has an additional hole in, in line with the groves for the spring clip which the newer pipe doesn't have!

The hole in the intercooler stub, I think I will fill it for peace of mind... 

Post #429799 3rd Mar 2017 12:43am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yes that be the hole.. the extra one in the collar.. the one that's screw sized!

Try this.... http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/your-local-stockist

There are a few in the Reading area Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429800 3rd Mar 2017 12:51am
GDM

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

If the hole in the original hose corresponds with the one in the intercooler, then, as Miggit says, you definitely need to fill it, as it is outside the hose seal.

Good luck.

Post #429801 3rd Mar 2017 12:54am
Stacker

I'm not 100% sure it does, because if you compare the pictures the hole on the old
Hose is in line with the clip, but on the intercooler photo the hole is further away from the groves from the clip... unless there is another hole I don't know about!!

So annoyed how someone would do that rather than fix it properly Sad 

Post #429802 3rd Mar 2017 12:57am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Annoying as it is... it's got to go... if it's on the outside of the seal, you'll continue to get oil everywhere, and if it's on the inside you stand a chance of ripping another seal... really isn't worth taking a chance... As I said once clean tape the out side and glue the in.... have lunch remove tape and it's as good as new Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429805 3rd Mar 2017 1:03am
Stacker

Understood Smile

It will be gone this time tomorrow Smile 

Post #429806 3rd Mar 2017 1:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>