Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Stolen !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I think it depends on which insurer you use. I have cars with LV and NFU and both provide a courtesy car in the event of theft.

Post #443914 8th Jul 2017 1:55pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

To be fair(ish), this isn't just a JLR issue.

There's a reason why so many Range Rovers, X5s etc. in London have old-school Stoplocks on the wheel.

Post #444115 10th Jul 2017 1:14pm
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Hope all is being settled shortly as this is not acceptable with taking this much time.
Open to all - do you think the InControl Security system is worth extending to a 3 year of FFRR after this sad news?? Question

3.0 Autobiography 14.5M

Post #444149 10th Jul 2017 6:12pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Thanks for keeping us updated and sorry JLR are not being more supportive.
I suspect it is equally true of most manufacturers in this bracket but will certainly be a considerable factor when I come to change.
I am going to put a link from customer care but doubt they will be arsed to comment. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #444178 11th Jul 2017 7:38am
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Mariana Black wrote:
Hope all is being settled shortly as this is not acceptable with taking this much time.
Open to all - do you think the InControl Security system is worth extending to a 3 year of FFRR after this sad news?? Question

3.0 Autobiography 14.5M

The important question that we don't know the answer to is whether this stolen had the updated Key Validation Module. If not then a thief can create his own key once he has opened the car. The update was intended to prevent this. If the car had the update then there are other questions about how the theft was effected.

Post #444186 11th Jul 2017 8:48am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Farallon Black

Any updates on this one ?

I'm intrigued to know if the vehicle had the update or not.

Thanks

Post #445308 22nd Jul 2017 3:05am
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Latest update for you...

Car not found.
On the same night, a neighbour 400 yards away also had his RRSport stolen in exactly the same way.

I have visited the dealer who say all updates were done on my car.

They could not give me any assurances that the same thing could not happen if I bought a brand new FFRR.
Their only suggestion was to buy an after market immobiliser which requires your mobile phone to be present to start the car...a good idea except if you lose your phone Smile

I have spoken with two Merc dealers who are also aware of the potential for theft.
I got the salesman to take me for a drive without the keyfob being present.
The car peeped a warning but was completely driveable without the keyfob present.
He was surprised at this.

Interestingly, the Merc keyless go start button can be removed and stored away from the vehicle.
Underneath is the normal key slot.
This does not stop the thieves opening the car via the signal amplifier method BUT they cannot then start the car without the key being inserted in the slot.

Porsche are the first manufacturer to admit to the problem.
See a snip from their web site below

JLR are refusing to comment on the theft.
Insurance company will settle on Monday...they, at least, are being fair.

I will post details of the final outcome but hell will freeze over before I give JLR any more of my business.

Finally, I urge all FFRR owners with keyless go to think very carefully about where they keep their keys.
Faraday cage bags seem to be the way forward until car manufacturers take this issue seriously. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #445318 22nd Jul 2017 9:07am
Dixy

Thanks for the update and sorry you have had such a Censored experience.
Immediately after your theft we started hanging our keys in a different location, the steel box is still to be sorted.
The mad thing is I don't understand what it achieves, you still have to put your keys somewhere and a dedicated slot would be better than tossing them in the cup holder. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #445321 22nd Jul 2017 9:18am
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

You can buy something a bit more aesthetically pleasing than a steel box!
Fleabay sell Faraday cage bags...a bit like a woman's clutch bag lined with a metal mesh.
You could take that with you if you need to stay away with the car.

One thing, though, is clear...

All the dealers, so called techy experts and police that I have spoken to have said that if these uber-professional thieves want your car enough, they will get it.

If they can't get it remotely, they will break in to your house and threaten you for the keys.

A sobering thought. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #445323 22nd Jul 2017 9:30am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Presumably a metal biscuit tin or the like would work too, smaller ones would be portable though bulkier than the bag.

IMHO JLR and indeed the other manufacturers could do worse than go back to having physical keys to open and start vehicles. I am reminded of the US space programme which spent millions developing a pen that could write in zero gravity, upside down etc while the Russians used pencils... There seems a tendency for people (not just in the motor industry) to get fascinated with what can be done with technology and then compete on features like that, ignoring the downsides. Physical keys are also useful in opening vehicles with flat batteries, when my 2004 car battery failed at least I could get into the car with the key, when it happened to my 2012 car the key that is supposed to open the passenger door was impossible for me to work, though the LRA technician managed it eventually, not so problematic in that case as the car was in the garage, but potentially quite nasty if in a remote location in bad weather. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #445329 22nd Jul 2017 11:11am
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

devastating

Post #445348 22nd Jul 2017 2:21pm
harrymomsen

Germany 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

First sorry for my bad english ... Sad

My brand new RR Autobiography was just updated with an additional Viper alarm system. Its is equipped with a Digital Tilt Motion Sensor, a radar modul for inside, a OBD firewall, a remote GPS system plus some secret gimmicks. You can not start the car without entering a special code, even if the original key was cloned or stolen. A special dealer in Hamburg who is specialized in alarm systems for expensive cars installed this in 4 hours. Costs about 1500 € .
The dealer told me, his customers never lost a car in his 25 years of company history.
Maybe a good idea for everybody to think about ...

Harry

Post #445573 24th Jul 2017 1:49pm
Fido

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SE Td6 Santorini Black

The viper and ghost systems have both been around for a while in the U.K.

I have a ghost on my focus RS, and will probably have the same fitted on my new sport.

Post #445594 24th Jul 2017 6:07pm
Dixy

Just a suggestion the car could come with a uniquely cut piece of metal that has to be slid in to a corresponding slot on the car before it would start. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #445641 25th Jul 2017 7:20am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I like that idea. If it works you could secure all kinds of things. Not just vehicles, houses, businesses, toolboxes etc Smile
It seems ridiculous the tech they are introducing seems so easy to bypass. I do think tech can be for tech's sake and I think unique bits of metal like keys are a pretty good way of deterring theft. But as mentioned earlier if they want your car they'll take it. I remember in the 70's and 80's before central locking people could get your car but using a coat hanger and and slide hammer. So nothing's secure really if they really want it. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #445644 25th Jul 2017 7:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>