Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>
Print this entire topic · 
Zeppfish

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Here is the bad news

https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/ff_part?part=21027

£195! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I'm pretty sure it is a diy job as long as you are fairly good with a set of spanners! As far as I can remember it's a seat out job! Have a scout about on here for some seat removal how to's

I do a few bits on my car myself, but if I am short on time I let my indie do it! 2006 RR sport HSE
Swapped for 2012 4.4td v8 Westminster Santori black with Ivory leather
BEEN SMILING EVER SINCE

Post #455099 24th Oct 2017 7:28am
tinribs

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Thank you!

Wasn't expecting the unit to be quite so expensive Shocked

I'll give my local LR supplies a ring and see if they can do it any cheaper.

I actually had the seats out the other day to see if it was the air ducting that had split - I then realised it was a complete different setup compared to the pre facelift cars.

The unit in the back seems to be just below the headrest, so quite a distance from the base of the seat. I'm not looking forward to stripping the seat though - I assume no one has had to strip a seat yet, so there are no guides (might do one myself if it goes to plan).

Thanks again!

Post #455136 24th Oct 2017 1:40pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

hi tinribs,

Just a thought about your part - you might be able to get a salvaged part from a breakers for half the cost. Alternatively, you may be able to find another vehicle that used this same part which might be cheaper.

Wanted to ask something since you seem to have had the whole seat apart - I wanted to mount folding tray tables on the rear of the seat(s), did you have any pictures by any chance, or any guidance? I'm looking for a possible mounting point. Just be good to know from a recd'y POV.

Thanks,
Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #455141 24th Oct 2017 2:09pm
bwelton

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

How did you get on with the repair ?

I have a MY12 SE model and the passenger seat heating is not working. I’m not sure if the cooling works. It’s has the perforated leather seats. I assumed that meant cold air was blown from the aircon, but are we saying cooling is the pelted cell or is that for a different seat type ?

Thx -------------------------------------
MY 2012 4.4 TDV8

Post #456006 3rd Nov 2017 1:22pm
tinribs

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

I've not done anything about it yet. Whistle

Heated/Cooled seats are done by the pelitier cell and not connected to the a/c as far as I'm aware.

Greg - I've not taken the seat apart yet. I only removed it from the car, turned the seat upside down and peered down the back of the backrest. Couldn't really see much. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Post #456057 3rd Nov 2017 9:26pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

If you have cooled seats as well as heated you have two extra control knobs, one each side the clock....all the way anti-clockwise and it cools....turn the other way, it heats.

Nothing to do with A/C.

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #456058 3rd Nov 2017 9:34pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Drivers seat on pretty much full cooling....

Lights up blue. You should be able see if they work if you do this.

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #456059 3rd Nov 2017 9:39pm
tj2k

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Ipanema Sand
Climate Seats Fixed

I'd been following this thread with interest (& other similar threads elsewhere) with a view to fixing my seats. I've just bought my car, it has a 3 month warranty and the dealer is covering the faults it had pre-purchase (this being one of them). The problem being that he didn't want me to take it to a dealer to diagnose and fix them because he's underwriting the cost of the warranty himself. I'm not the type to make the job unnecessarily expensive - so I'm working through its issues myself (but I've spent well over a grand now & I've covered the labour myself - which seems wrong!?).

Anyway, I want it sorted so I can just get on & enjoy the car rather than faffing about fixing locks, seats, brakes, the battery etc etc.

So, here's what I found when I finally removed my drivers seat. The ducting of the pelter cell / seat-back motor had indeed, well & truly cracked - with a whole piece having fallen out (which I fished out from below). This art is designed to flex when the seat back is moved. Clearly, over time the plastic starts getting brittle - hence it cracks & breaks apart.

I've now replaced the part, having taken a chance and ordered it from a Land Rover Dealer. It now works perfectly (it's an expensive part & a royal pain to lift the seat out as the seat weighs a tonne). Owing tot he air-bag, I disconnected the battery too (& allowed it to stand 20+mins before disconnecting).

That said, the seat does not *need* to be removed - but it is definitely easier to do if the seat is out of the car.

I'd accidentally cut my hand whilst doing the job (you can imagine the language Censored ) so was bleeding everywhere - consequently, I didn't take many pictures but what I did take - are hopefully good enough:

This is the seat when I first opened it up! See the seat motor ducting!?

Click image to enlarge

This is a closer pic:

Click image to enlarge

Another:

Click image to enlarge

This is the faulty part after it had been removed:

Click image to enlarge

By the way, this is what my car was bleating about before it was fixed:

Click image to enlarge

Post #462913 1st Jan 2018 6:42pm
Fatfred

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

hi, both my front seats are not working, i will have a go myself but first want to ask how easy/hard is it to strip the back panel off to expose the back fan, thanks

Post #463381 5th Jan 2018 8:32am
ST12AT

United Kingdom 

From reading this I think the cracked ducting is the same problem I have.

Drivers seat works fine on heating and cooling. Passenger seat works on cooling but only the back works (albeit not very well) on heating.

Post #463400 5th Jan 2018 1:25pm
tj2k

ST12AT, Id guess that the seat back is very *likely* to be the same fault / part required as mine given what you've said & your fault code (but for the other seat) is the same.

The part is described as the seat motor - the part houses a fan motor as well as the Peltier cell & the ducting which as you can see in my pics had a large piece broken out of it. The description of the part, suggested to me at least that it was the actual seat movement motor but thats misleading - it is the cell, attached ducting plus the additional duct as per the pic.

If your heated seat-back works but poorly; it *could be* your motor / cell is fine but that additional ducting - is misaligned - as you can see in my picture of the parts removed / see this pic, see the bit to the left:

Click image to enlarge

If that's misaligned, that could explain it. Essentially, you need to set eyes on it to be certain - as I did in my case.

Fatfred, do you have access to a diagnostic tool of any kind? I would recommend seeing what codes its throwing relating to the seat-heating. If they're failing with the same codes as mine then that you could be having the same issue as myself.

The fact that both are failing is odd and people will obviously suggest you check all the fuses etc - but my advice is to see what the diagnostic codes are, clear them off, recycle the ignition, start-it and take it for a test drive - if the seats work, drive it with heated seats on for longer & re-scan it. If they remain dead throughout - the codes it'll almost certainly generate - will be a good indicator as t where to start looking.

Hope this helps...

If you wee near-by, I'd offer to sun your car for you & try help.

Post #463542 6th Jan 2018 9:00pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Did you have any trouble getting the part out, I taped mine up in a hurry so might not have done it properly as the damage was all at the back (out of sight) so before putting my hand in the wallet named "Range Rover" I might just whip the seat out again and remove the part to check more thoroughly. My symptoms are fan underneath the seat switches off after about 30 seconds, lights remain on and IIDTool comes up with the fluid leak fault, neither back nor base gets warm. Geoff

Post #463548 6th Jan 2018 9:57pm
tj2k

Thats what mine did.

Your comment:...."My symptoms are fan underneath the seat switches off after about 30 seconds, lights remain on and IIDTool comes up with the fluid leak fault, neither back nor base gets warm."

... thats exactly what mine did. See my seat motor - "holey" that it is - swapped & the seat is perfect. I drove 600 miles in it this week with the heated seat on all the way there & back.

Once the seat back is off (whether you remove the entire seat from the car or not in order to get at it) - the part replacement itself is a doddle - it really is easy - it just unclips.

The additional separate duct (the bit on the left in the pic I mention above) is just as easy - just undo the plastic grub-push-friction-clip things (sorry, not sure what they're called).

Before you remove them - take pics so you can re-arrange the fabric which needs to unclip (& re-clip later) so you don't obstruct the fan / filter - again, dead easy & obvious once seat back is off. Thumbs Up

Post #463549 6th Jan 2018 10:04pm
tj2k

Ok, I've edited one of my pics to explain, top of the pic = top of the seat (I rotated the pic when I edited it so it's the right way up);

Click image to enlarge

Red circles are the compression clips which just unclip & release the motor / cell.

Blue circles are where the fabric clips on to a thin metal cross-member bar (these literally just unclip).

Green circles are "plastic grub-push-friction-clip things" I poorly describe - the plastic friction screw that you literally just push-in / pull out (carefully).

Obviously, the electrical connector to the left of the first red circle.

Hope this helps!

Post #463552 6th Jan 2018 10:24pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Thanks tl2k for the very prompt and clear reply. I think I'll have to wait until I can get someone to help me get the seat out it looks as though it is easier to work on. Geoff

Post #463555 6th Jan 2018 10:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>