Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > water in boot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
water in boot

hi all, some how water is finding its way into by boot, i have checked all the seals and they look fine, if i run the hose over the tail gat it shows on the left corner as you look in , can any one suggest common leaking points
dave V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #47350 24th Jan 2011 9:25pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I had read of some leak points on the side windows but never got to the bottom of it fully. If you look at the rear side windows where the lower seal meets the C - pillar there may be a slight gap. I filled my gap both sides with some black flange sealant (I love that word!) and then tided it up so there was no excess using a baby wipe so as not to have sealant on the paint. I've not noticed any damp since. I only did mine after the MKIII nav died and the moisture appeared to have run directly in to the MKIII nav Shocked

MKIv fitted now and fingers crossed it stays dry. I also always have the Air con on now , but as this area of the car also has the device which draws air out somehow in to the wheel arch cavity its always going to be a weak spot I guess one way or another. If you work out how / where / what the magic ducting thing is then let me know. I've toyed with chucking one of these crystal moisture absorbsion boxes in the wheel well as found on sale in caravan shops. 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #47355 24th Jan 2011 9:41pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Hi Daveo,

Spotted the same issue with mine yesterday. Putting the spare wheel in and the well below had a nice puddle in it. Also in the cold weather the inside of the front screen is full of condensation so knew there was moisture in the car somewhere.

I'll watch with interest to find weak points.

ps - all seems fine with the MKIV unit so will send your nav disk back to you. Sorry for the delay. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #47358 24th Jan 2011 9:49pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I have traced the ingress in mine to the bottom of the rear-most edge of bottom of the boot and spare wheel area (nearest the bumper) where the top and bottom bits of metal are crimped together. It comes in only from the left hand corner and the middle.

I put a thin layer of sealant all along there and for a long while it stopped it, but it has eventually (after many months) managed to permeate even this - I will put pictures here tomorrow when it is light. My solution is to put a thicker layer of sealant on top of what i originally laid.

the best way to trace where the water is coming in is to lay a length of tissue paper (I use the industrial blue rolls) along the bottom from left to right and inspect it after a day. The paper will be wet where the water has run down to it. (You will have to leave your spare wheel out of the well whilst doing this.). hope this helps.

I would very interested if anyone else has got a solution as it has ruined one spare tyre already.

Post #47365 24th Jan 2011 11:43pm
comports

Just a suggestion and I admit it does not solve the "real" issue, but might it be worth drilling a couple of drain holes where the water accumulates in the wheel well area.?

Only a big problem if you feel like doing some deep wading..! Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #47381 25th Jan 2011 9:53am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Whilst fitting my towing electrics I noticed there is an oblong hole behind the bumper. About 2 inches x 1 inch... This should have a rubber grommet in it, mine didnt. Mine had some black gaffa tape stuff, but exactly the same type that is used in different places throughout the car - ie factory fit.

Mine was very well stuck down, but I wonder if you guys have tape here that is lifting slightly... You cant really see it unless you're lying underneith the car, or feeling inside the frame in the boot.

This is kinda where it is - have a poke:

rear by d86cfv, on Flickr 

Post #47389 25th Jan 2011 10:33am
comports

Interesting - rather suggesting that water is being thrown up into the car instead of dripping down into it.

Worth a look.! Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #47401 25th Jan 2011 11:33am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I think with the position of this both could happen.

The bottom of the bumper could be scooping spray and forcing it into this hole - as well as when water runs down from the top and trains down behind the bumper it will be running across this surface.

More pics:

Post #47402 25th Jan 2011 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1