Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > FFRR satnav is crap!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pitsnow

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
FFRR satnav is crap!

Why is the Range Rover satnav so infuriating?
The FFRR and FL2 have both the same programming with regards to the advice they give.

When travelling home from Birmingham to Cleethopres, the route for normal people and satnavs like a Tomtom would be M42 – M1 – M18 and then M180.
For some odd reasons which I fail to understand, the satnav from the RR wanted me to come off the motorway and use side roads?!?

I have the same issue with the FL2 satnav. What do I wrong?
Is there a menu option which I have not ticked that tells the satnav to avoid motorways?
If there is, I have not found it yet.
Any advice is greatly received.

One more thing, can you get updated satnav DVD’s only from dealers or are there other places where they are sold?

Post #133732 31st Jul 2012 12:04pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you dont have to strictly follow any sat nav or you might end up in a river...

saying that , i found the fulfats nav very good even on european journeys..

for a successful journey you need 4 things, a sat nav ,an ability to read road signs, a map and common sense..

tomtom navs probably are better than the in dash range rover ones but the RR ones dont fall off the windscreen when you go round corners...

the latest 2011/12 discs are available from dealers and some ebay sellers that sell pirated copies, but due to forum rules we cannot discuss the copied ones here.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #133733 31st Jul 2012 12:15pm
Pitsnow

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

What I dont understand is the reason to take one away from the motorway. Both the RR and the RL2 satnav have this same issue.

Post #133734 31st Jul 2012 12:17pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

When you input your destination you'll get 3 differing routes. It may be that its going for the quickest route it thinks of.

I find mine does seem to change if i do a few journeys driving like victor meldrew the time estimates and routes change to more fast paced roads for longer periods.

Drive like a bat out of hell and it gives you the real quick route if you screech round corners and all Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #133735 31st Jul 2012 12:24pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

You can select options for major routes, etc Page 7 of the Navigation manual Thumbs Up

Post #133744 31st Jul 2012 1:22pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Never had a problem like that and I drive all over the UK, how old is your map? Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #133755 31st Jul 2012 2:10pm
jfb1977

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Make sure that major roads are selected.

I had this on the way to Cheltenham the other day....couldn't figure out for the life of me why sat nav kept trying to bring me off at every motorway junction.

Then checked the route preferences and realised that "Major roads" were de-selected so it was trying to take me on the A and B roads! Embarassed

User error. Past (too many to list, but a few favs)...
2007 Porsche 997 C2S Coupe
2007 FFRR 4.2 S/C
2012 Jag XKR 5.0 S/C
2014 Merc SL500 AMG 4.7 V8 BiTurbo (remapped to 560BHP)
2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - Overfinch Conversion
2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2018 AMG C63S Estate
2015 Mercedes GLE63S
2017 Maserati Levante Diesel
2017 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Black Edition

Post #133756 31st Jul 2012 2:20pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Never had these issues and always found mine to be great, and even better on the Continent.

When you select the 3 routes to be displayed, if you are zoomed right out you cant see the detail of where its going to take you, and you may have some preference incorrect in your settings.

Once you deviate from the planned route though it should catch up and reroute you on the road you are taking. I've had the very odd occasion where it persists in trying to take me off my route so I just cancel the guidance and start it again. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #133760 31st Jul 2012 3:10pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

Just buy a HSE you get the NAV button with none of the pain Thumbs Up Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Post #133763 31st Jul 2012 3:16pm
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I have seen a similar problem a couple of times coming back from the channel tunnel on the M20 where the Sat Nav has tried to take me off the motorway and then straight back on - I'm guessing that it thought we were travelling on the parallel A20 because it had lost sight of some satellites. For longer journeys I tend to plan a route outline using google maps anyway (food & fuel stops), so just ignore the occasional incorrect instructions - even using the 2010 DVD there is a section of new autoroute south of Reims that shows helicopter like flying above green fields ...

Post #133934 1st Aug 2012 2:41pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

^^^^^ have been on that bit of road. Tom tom got confused as i hadnt updated the maps.
When trying to get to an activity centre in sussex, the nav took me down a road which had actually removed (as in dug up and turned into a forrest trail) and it was a fairly main road as well. The only thing which actually worked was tomtom on my iphone. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #134002 1st Aug 2012 9:32pm
uzp315

Mine is a proper basket case. I have selected everything as an option except ferries and toll roads and the other odd one. So it should be finding me a sensible route. Too many times, and too many instances for this to be a chance...what am I missing guys ? I'm no stranger to tech or to sat navs, and like a lot of petrol heads, I change my car quite a bit, apart from the keepers....think Ive found one in my RR, but I need to figure out the sat nav because it would cost me £££ extra over a year if I listen to it.

All route options were similar....yet, there is a direct route to this triangle that even Pythagoras was aware of.

Im not sure when the maps were updated, is this the kind of thing an update would help with ?

BTW, Anderby Creek - is a nice place for a walk on a huge beach if you are near this side of the UK.

Post #459081 30th Nov 2017 8:04pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I pretty much gave up on the RR Sat Nav, and use my Samsung S7 Edge in a phone mount instead. It's an excellent radio (love that Logic 7) but regretably the SatNav is a product of it's time, and a reminder of how far the in-car technology has moved in 10 years.

Post #459089 30th Nov 2017 9:01pm
uzp315

Hi Paul, I might have to do the same if I cannot figure this out. I have another old car, and older one, and that sat nav never suggests anything like the route in the pic, and also constantly adapts to any changes I make to the route. The RR though is pretty much unusable as a navigation device so far. I tried to take a new route home on the long commute I do and didnt even try a destination more than 10 miles away from where I was and it still tried to make me drive 3 times as far. It's not a nav device, it is just crazy Smile Or an evil plot from the oil industry to make even more money from us.

Post #459094 30th Nov 2017 9:24pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Laughing Have to admit, mine doesn't suggest weird ideas of circuitous routes like yours does Mark (I have mine set to "Quick" on the route options), but even with the most up-to date DVD in, there's too many roads and locations missing for me to use it sensibly (I work in Construction, so often get sent to places that have only existed for 6 months).

Poor old DVD based systems just can't keep up with the speed and (none existant) cost of map updates via GoogleMaps. I do like to use it for driving back home though, so i can switch the phone off. It can't really go wrong then.

Post #459100 30th Nov 2017 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>