Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Total closure when locking the car, is it possible?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Austin

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Total closure when locking the car, is it possible?

I've had this on other cars in the past and its quite handy. I know the RR has lazy locking, but that only works if you know you have left something open when your walking off and locking the car.

..............but, i get a call from my wife this morning saying she thinks she left the sunroof open all night, which actually means, "sorry, i left the sunroof open all night i remember doing it now i come to think of it!!! "how lucky am i that it didnt chuck it down with rain that night!!?? or even worse a cat jumps in and takes a slash or dump on the leathers / carpet!!

its got me thinking, now, i know that the intravee for example folds mirrors on locking etc, and you can do things like turn on the side lights 25% as running lights to come on whenever the car is moving from the hidden service menu, so, can you make the car total closure when locking, i.e. will close sunroof and windows when you press the lock button.

anyone know if this is possible.

cheers

Austin

and yes i will be checking the car everynight from now on when the mrs drives it!!

Post #63669 12th May 2011 9:00pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Yeah if your windows are down and the sunroof is open when you are walking away from the car hold down the Lock button and the window will close then the sunroof …. Thumbs Up

Post #63673 12th May 2011 9:10pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

True re holding the button down. It might be nice (and I suspect Austin is wanting) a double touch auto total closure. I find If I walk away too far the closure stops. You also have to be in the line of sight of the drivers door lock sensor for this to work so not great if parked next to someone in a carpark for instance.

Would be great to have a "click twice" (or three times cos I twice is deadlock isnt it.?) to auto close everything. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #63677 12th May 2011 9:50pm
Austin

^ yep bang on, one press = superlock i.e. Deadlocked
Two presses = locked but not dead locked, might turn off ultrasonics for pets etc.
Press and hold =lazy lock, but only if you hold it and your in the line of sight.

But no auto total closure to speak of, been all through the manual and no mention of it.

Any one the wiser? It might not be possible, but someone on here will most likely know if it is.

Cheers

Austin

Post #63680 12th May 2011 10:04pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I've never known any car do this from the factory in the EU and now US due to safety reasons. The best you can hope for is a long press of the button, this means it's really quite difficult to trap animals/children.

Imagine *Generic Bimbo* as she double clicks the fob, only to look back and see little Chelsea being strangled - instead of pressing a button to stop it she will panic, throw the keys on the floor and generally flap.

That being said, I'm sure it would be possible - I will take a look on the intravee forums later... 

Post #63682 12th May 2011 10:07pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine has total closure and will drop all the windows and open the sunroof if I keep the unlock button pressed. Smile

Post #63703 13th May 2011 12:03am
dan_uk_1984

neo wrote:
Mine has total closure and will drop all the windows and open the sunroof if I keep the unlock button pressed. Smile

Does yours close all the windows automatically, or do you have to hold the button down? 

Post #63704 13th May 2011 12:08am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

on mine, keep button pressed to close/open windows, release button anytime and the windows stop...

Post #63718 13th May 2011 8:29am
Austin

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
neo wrote:

Does yours close all the windows automatically, or do you have to hold the button down?

Yeah mine does that, thats what the range rover manual refers to as "lazy lock"

it would be good if it could do that with out having to hold down the button, i know it sounds like the height of lazyness, but would be handy!!

i know what your saying about things / pet getting trapped in the window, but maybe a press 3 times function would save any accidents, and you'd only do it if you really meant to.

i used to have a car that i could remote start and total closure, but it was impossible to leave it in gear or get anything trapped in the window, because of the sequence of button presses to tell it to do that.

Post #63736 13th May 2011 9:38am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

hasn't the range got an anti trap feature on the windows?

Post #63740 13th May 2011 9:42am
dan_uk_1984

The thing is for that one in a million time the manufacturers just aren't willing to risk it. You could have to press it 100 times to make it safe but if it kills someone - you didn't do it, the car did it automatically (even if you initiated the procedure) where as if you physically held down the button then it would be you who was liable.

Scary, yes the RR has got anti-trap. It has a sensor at the top of the window frame. It's certainly not infallible - load detecting motors are the way to go (Like the P38)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti the feature, I'd quite like it myself. But I can see why it doesnt do it. 

Post #63744 13th May 2011 10:32am
comports

If I remember correctly Dan, my P38 does have this. It is "press and hold the key" to start the procedure but once it's initiated, it completes the closure without me standing pointing the key at the lock and holding the button. I can walk away and it still continues to close everything.

Once initiated - a further key press stops the action (just incase you made a mistake) Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #63746 13th May 2011 10:38am
dan_uk_1984

comports wrote:
If I remember correctly Dan, my P38 does have this. It is "press and hold the key" to start the procedure but once it's initiated, it completes the closure without me standing pointing the key at the lock and holding the button. I can walk away and it still continues to close everything.

Once initiated - a further key press stops the action (just incase you made a mistake)

That's because the P38 is best car in the world Sad the anti-trap mech was much more advanced in the P38 and could probably be trusted. As the P38 was developed in 94 maybe not enough people had been sued - I also wonder whether it was market specific?

I must have missed that feature on mine! 

Post #63749 13th May 2011 10:59am
comports

Problem solved then - If i want the auto closure I go out in my P38, if not, I'll take the FF..!

Razz Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #63763 13th May 2011 12:37pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

My 2011 is just a double press of the unlock to do this.

Post #63787 13th May 2011 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>